• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm pretty sure this carb is not the right carb for my 440 -HELP

Tendy30: Realize that the Holley double pumper carbs are mechanical secondaries and are built to use with a manual transmission or an automatic with a higher than stock stall converter. A better choice for a street car, as has been said, is a Holley with vacuum secondaries or an Edelbrock 750 if you're going to hotrod the motor. The Edelbrock set-up is a comprehensive group of parts that will work well together; Or there are several good cams available from a variety of manufacturers and everyone you ask will have their own personal opinion usually based on their own experience. You can go on any of the manufacturers' sites and download or order catalogs that have a lot of information that will help you make decisions. All of the major manufacturers also have tech lines where they will make recommendations based on your set of circumstances. BUT FIRST, we need to find out why the vacuum is so low. Throwing parts at a motor that's sick is a waste of your time and money. Did that other member ever come by to check out your motor? BTW, Carter and Holley carburetors are/were made by 2 different companies. The numbers don't cross over. Jegs.com and Summitracing.com also have very comprehensive catalogs that show a huge variety of parts.

ColoradoDave ,

The other gentleman hasn't made it out to see my Charger yet. The first gentleman that briefly went over my 440 was the one who tested the vacuum. Another gentleman looked at my car and found a couple vent tubes on my current Carter's Carb that were sealed "poorly back then" and definitely not sealed now. I would assume that this one of the reasons at idle that I am receiving less than 5 vacuum. I am going to try a couple tricks that other members on here have told me to use like spray bottle and water when first starting. If that isn't the problem then I am going to have to start asking what else other than a leaky CARB could be causing poor vacuum? I know my booster isn't working either when I hit the break I hear "psssssssssssssst" is that related to poor vacuum as well?

Yes, it definately is. The booster uses manifold vacuum to work. If the hose, fitting or diaphram is bad it can be the source of your low vacuum. Any brake shop should be able to diagnose a bad booster and replace it. Maybe some light at the end of the tunnel?

Auto Transport Service
Back