• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm Questioning My Taste In Automotive Wheels

I really like the black steel wheels on this car better than the oversize rallye wheels pictured below. If this car was mine and these two sets of wheels were my only option, I would bomb can those steelies with a fresh coat of black and roll. Which looks better to you?

View attachment 1594050
View attachment 1594052
Between the two, I like the black steel wheels.

The color of the oversized wheels does not go with the silver body.

The vertical, flat face at the tire edge is too large and shiny.

The front end of the car needs to come down a smidge.

I prefer a bit more tire sidewall.

The car and lift should be moved to my garage.

I think Magnum 500's have always made me think "FORD" so I don't tend to like them on B bodies. I like them in general though, and they look good on most cars, I just prefer something else on a MOPAR
Rally wheels look good in factory size, but I prefer some type of change, personally.
Keystones look like junk on older B bodies. I like them a lot on really late ones, like the Magnums.
Crager SS is a Chebby wheel. Same with the "daisy" (coke bottle) wheels, but I have seen some done ok on a Mopar

American Racing Vector, to me, is the Magnum 500 for Mopar. They just look better.
Aluminum slots look good on most cars if sized right. And Vans. And trucks.
Black Crager D windows to me look good on about every Mopar there is.

Honorable mention to Western Hurricanes for trucks.

ALL of the above require FAT RUBBER, as is right and proper to do, and required for righteous burnouts.
17" wheels look like ricer crap usually.
Anything bigger than 17" I classify as "donk wheels" and I will automatically associate you with that crowd if you go that route with a classic car.

See how "blanket judgements" like that make you look like an ignorant asshole?
Or maybe he is just as entitled to his opinion as you are to yours...and he's not calling anybody names just because their opinion doesn't run in parallel to his own ...

See how "blanket judgements" like that make you look like an ignorant asshole?
That's your business.
I don't like 17's on anything until you hit the 1990's. Even trucks, I think a 16" with a bigger sidewall is better on older ones. My Ramcharger will keep it's 15". My 2001 Off Road Ram had factory 17's, and I liked those.
I am not a big fan of modern vehicles with the huge rims really either, even my '13 Charger has 19's (factory AWD size) and I wish they were 17, with a bit more width as well. But that's just on the looks side, I am sure modern brakes wouldn't fit in a 15" rim either anymore, cars are too heavy to shrink those too.

Sorry you got so butthurt? It's the USA, you can do whatever you want to your car, it's your car. I know what I like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Magnum 500's have always made me think "FORD" so I don't tend to like them on B bodies. I like them in general though, and they look good on most cars, I just prefer something else on a MOPAR
Magnum 500 wheels were used on Mopars for years before they were available on Fords and continued to be used on Mopars for years after Ford and any other manufacturers stopped using them. They were a Mopar wheel that the other manufacturers copied. They were used on Fords,AMCs,Chevies and Oldsmobiles too.

Anything larger than 15” is too big.

03507FCA-0C83-4843-BB1D-F3FBC96B34AF.png

Magnum 500 wheels were used on Mopars for years before they were available on Fords and continued to be used on Mopars for years after Ford and any other manufacturers stopped using them. They were a Mopar wheel that the other manufacturers copied. They were used on Fords,AMCs,Chevies and Oldsmobiles too.
Sure, but in the 90's EVERY Ford that was the go to wheel, it was like some unwritten rule. So now I associate them with Ford. They are a nice looking wheel.

All cars have personality same as their owners.
Some are polish and guard me ,
some are grab a 12 , the gals and go spin some donuts in the parking lot. :thumbsup:
The ops 68 looks like .........

So it’s ok for the old schoolers to move up from a 14” to a 15” but nothing else bigger??? Oh, ok lol. Keep running that purple cam and low performance tires boys lol

All cars have personality same as their owners.
I agree. As others have said, I think wheels look good if they provide some contrast to the car. In my case, my car is Limelight (original too!). So I think some black sets off the car. For this reason, I chose the magnum 500 style wheel (although in 15" size rather than the original 14").

20171028_165609.jpg

If my car were black, then likely some chrome or silver wheels might look better.

It's a package thing...

I like the Steelies.
Let me preface my comments with the statement that I think a guy should run what he likes.
That being said, I think the poverty look goes just fine with a Roadrunner, since it was a low buck concept. I bought a used 68 383 Roadrunner back in 1981. I was 18, and it was a beat down car from a budget lot.
I put headers and a Holley on it, waxed it every Friday, painted the steel rims gloss black when they needed it. I would run dog dishes with beauty rings up front. I had a blast with that car! I didn't have it long enough to upgrade the wheels (story for another day.)

I had a set of Magnum wheels from my first Charger that we passed around, my friend had a 69 Roadrunner and they looked really classy on that.

The steel wheels on 60's cars look tough to me, all business, sleeper, masculine.

On my 73 charger I have had a bunch of different wheels over the years. I bought it in 82 as my daily driver it had the full hub caps. I replaced those with baby moons, Then after I put in the big block I got the Crager Pro-techs in the first pic. (I know, but that **** looked cool in the 80's).

I have slots on it now (paid a pretty penny for the fronts) and they are my favorite. But almost all of the 8- 10 inch wide solts have 3-1/2 backspace, and that sits too far out with a wide tire. So, I have some Alumastars to try on the rear now.

I'm sure this won't be my final combo.

01Pro-tech-01.jpg
02Rodlites-02.jpg
04Slots-01.JPEG

I like the Steelies.
Let me preface my comments with the statement that I think a guy should run what he likes.
That being said, I think the poverty look goes just fine with a Roadrunner, since it was a low buck concept.
The same look doesn't cross over to a Charger very well.

No 5.JPG
No 15.JPG

Last edited:
I did like them, especially the rears. But the fronts looked reversed to me.
I was gonna buy some rodlites for the rear of my Opel, they were reasonably priced for 15x14s at the time, and I liked em, but I decided to spend the bucks for what I really wanted. Got some custom backspace 15x12 TT2's. Using Rocket ten spoke gassers on the front.

Auto Transport Service
Back