• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm thinking this Ford might make a good Burt Reynolds "White Lightning" clone.

SteveSS

Local time
1:17 AM
Reaction score

1972 FORD LTD for sale by owner - Colorado Springs, CO - craigslist

ltd.jpg

"Only two things I'm scared of. Women and the police."
'

Yep, Custom 500. All LTDs are hardtops. I'm guessing I can fake a Hurst 4-speed shifter moving the column auto to the floor. I think they make auto shifters that simulate the look of 4-speeds. I once read the engine and shift sounds were borrowed from a Mustang.

I was surprised the movie car had an open rear end.

Yeah don’t forget the 4speed sound effects

Yep, Custom 500. All LTDs are hardtops. I'm guessing I can fake a Hurst 4-speed shifter moving the column auto to the floor. I think they make auto shifters that simulate the look of 4-speeds. I once read the engine and shift sounds were borrowed from a Mustang.

I was surprised the movie car had an open rear end.
If you are going to do it a real 4 speed is a must! That was the whole cool factor about that car!

I think the only feasible way to convert it to a 4-speed would be to find a donor car. I'd have to figure out which models and year would swap.

The other option,is find a wrecked modern Mustang GT,and install Coyote and manual trans in the barge!

It's got a 400. Sounds like they lowered the compression from 1971. In the movie, they say it has a 429.

pecs datasheet with technical data and performance data plus an analysis of the direct market competition of Ford LTD Convertible 400 V-8 Cruise-O-Matic (aut. 3) in 1972, the model with 2-door convertible body and V-8 6590 cm3 / 402.1 cui, 128 kW / 174 PS / 172 hp (SAE net) of power, 404 Nm / 298 lb-ft of torque, 3-speed automatic powertrain offered since September 1971 for North America U.S.. According to the ProfessCars™ estimation, this Ford would accelerate 0-60 mph in 11.9 sec, 0-100 km/h in 12.7 sec and a quarter mile time is 18.7 sec. The overall dimensions are 5491 mm / 216.2 in of length, 2012 mm / 79.2 in of width (without mirrors) and 1450 mm / 57.1 in of height. Check the tables below for detailed outside and inside dimensions, output, fuel economy and performance data. Specs review by Pawel Zal.

Thanks for putting up with the blasphemy on a Mopar site. I don't belong to any Ford sites.

4 Mopars
2 Chevys
6 Pontiacs
2 Fords

great movie..

you got yourself some motor there Boy !!

429 In 1972 would have been the top engine, I think the 460 became optional in 1973. I was impressed with the way the car handled in that movie, given the tire technology back then.

Auto Transport Service
Back