• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Indy ez heads

Thank you for the replies. I'm looking to make 700 hp with 11.1 cr. And comp cams .692 roller cam. I've read where the trick flow 270 heads out of the box flows as much as the Indy ez 295 heads. Which head would everyone go with ?

All else aside, if they both flow the same then it boils down to price and availability. I think the Indys are more readily available right now.

In your first post you allude to pushrods with no mention of cam or rockers. Now you mention a killer roller cam. It's time to think about rockers !!

All else aside, if they both flow the same then it boils down to price and availability. I think the Indys are more readily available right now.

In your first post you allude to pushrods with no mention of cam or rockers. Now you mention a killer roller cam. It's time to think about rockers !!
I'm thinking Harlan Sharp's. But I'm willing to know what you and others think?

Unfortunately there is no "perfect" big block Mopar rocker because both the pedestal and the valve heights are fixed. The lift of the cam becomes the determining factor. What has a nice sweep pattern with a .500 lift cam will have a terrible pattern with a .600 lift cam. And no two manufacturers rockers are made the same either. The solution - and I don't think its cheap - is to go with custom-made shims under the shafts. This should be done before measuring for any pushrods. For more info, contact these guys. They may even be able to recommend a rocker that has some advantages over another. Personally I like Harland Sharps.

http://www.b3racingengines.com/

Unfortunately there is no "perfect" big block Mopar rocker because both the pedestal and the valve heights are fixed. The lift of the cam becomes the determining factor. What has a nice sweep pattern with a .500 lift cam will have a terrible pattern with a .600 lift cam. And no two manufacturers rockers are made the same either. The solution - and I don't think its cheap - is to go with custom-made shims under the shafts. This should be done before measuring for any pushrods. For more info, contact these guys. They may even be able to recommend a rocker that has some advantages over another. Personally I like Harland Sharps.

http://www.b3racingengines.com/

I agree with Stanton, rocker geometry can be real tricky, especially with the big cam. Check out the b3 site, a very interesting read. I like my Hughes rocker setup, but my cam is low .600 lift. Lots of guys like the Harland Sharps. I have the Indy EZ-1 Max Wedge port. Custom push rods, Smith Bros or Manton?

Last edited:
Rocker Geometry is absolutely critical.....
This one ran just CRANE Gold Rockers for many years with NO issues, .690" Lift Comp, INDY SR Heads ported by me.(INDY SR was the forerunner of the EZ Head with a High Exhaust Port and NON-Offset Intake Rocker unlike the 440-1)

Just say'in.....
Poor Geometry you can KILL even the best Rockers
and
GOOD Geometry you can make lesser Rocker live just fine.

Thank you for the replies. I'm looking to make 700 hp with 11.1 cr. And comp cams .692 roller cam. I've read where the trick flow 270 heads out of the box flows as much as the Indy ez 295 heads. Which head would everyone go with ?

For all the quality issues there are with Indy and their historically bad customer service, unless you plan to go for even more HP in the future, I would lean towards the Trick Flows and a little porting work over the Indy's. Trick Flow was awesome and actually let me swap my 240's for 270's for no charge when they first came out (and even told me to use the 240's until they could get me my 270's). They made a fan out of me. Just my personal choice.

I currently have the 270's which were ported by Larry Smith and they flow [email protected] and [email protected]. That is plenty of flow to get to your 700 hp and more. The other thing is, to go much over 700-750 with a stock block isn't too realistic for long term use if you are going to be racing it a lot.
If it is going to be more of a bad *** street car that you race 20% of the time, you may just want to go with a .600'ish hydraulic roller cam, make 600-650hp with a less exotic, lower maintenance top end and just throw a 100 shot of nitrous on it for that 20% track time.

My 526" has a .715 solid roller in it and has been streetable with a well tuned Thumper carb and very well coordinated package of everything else (GV Overdrive, custom Ultimate convertor, etc.) , but it was a lot of money required to make it bulletproof (Custom T&D rockers, 7/16" tapered pushrods, BRC cap and girdle system, etc.) and it still requires a little restraint and some definite finesse to drive. If parts availability weren't so stupid expensive and slow these days, I would probably step my build back a little but I still want to drive it to all my shows within 500 miles, and run that 9.99 number while being able to say I do it N.A. The only way that is happening is with the current build.

Rocker Geometry is absolutely critical.....
This one ran just CRANE Gold Rockers for many years with NO issues, .690" Lift Comp, INDY SR Heads ported by me.(INDY SR was the forerunner of the EZ Head with a High Exhaust Port and NON-Offset Intake Rocker unlike the 440-1)

Just say'in.....
Poor Geometry you can KILL even the best Rockers
and
GOOD Geometry you can make lesser Rocker live just fine.

I couldn't agree more. I went with Mike Beachel's kit with custom rockers and 7/16" .162 taper wall pushrods and couldn't be happier. The sweep pattern is small and fairly well centered on the valve as well as a minimal amount of lift loss as a result. Additionally, lash stays rock steady. I have had folks comment that you can hear the difference in the tone of the car as well.

For all the quality issues there are with Indy and their historically bad customer service, unless you plan to go for even more HP in the future, I would lean towards the Trick Flows and a little porting work over the Indy's. Trick Flow was awesome and actually let me swap my 240's for 270's for no charge when they first came out (and even told me to use the 240's until they could get me my 270's). They made a fan out of me. Just my personal choice.

I currently have the 270's which were ported by Larry Smith and they flow [email protected] and [email protected]. That is plenty of flow to get to your 700 hp and more. The other thing is, to go much over 700-750 with a stock block isn't too realistic for long term use if you are going to be racing it a lot.
If it is going to be more of a bad *** street car that you race 20% of the time, you may just want to go with a .600'ish hydraulic roller cam, make 600-650hp with a less exotic, lower maintenance top end and just throw a 100 shot of nitrous on it for that 20% track time.

My 526" has a .715 solid roller in it and has been streetable with a well tuned Thumper carb and very well coordinated package of everything else (GV Overdrive, custom Ultimate convertor, etc.) , but it was a lot of money required to make it bulletproof (Custom T&D rockers, 7/16" tapered pushrods, BRC cap and girdle system, etc.) and it still requires a little restraint and some definite finesse to drive. If parts availability weren't so stupid expensive and slow these days, I would probably step my build back a little but I still want to drive it to all my shows within 500 miles, and run that 9.99 number while being able to say I do it N.A. The only way that is happening is with the current build.
Very good advice there. Thank you for the info

Auto Transport Service
Back