• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inexpensive bumper re-chroming?

SteveSS

Local time
12:19 PM
Reaction score
I'm getting down to the last bits of finishing the 1971 Charger 500. The bumpers are pitted but not rusty or bent. I'm going to sell the car so I need to watch what I spend. I'm on the fence as to doing it but it may make a big enough difference. Does anyone know a cost-effective place for the front and rear bumpers? If I was going to keep the car forever I'd be interested in the big buck does a great job places but I'm not there now.

Throw the price out there if you have it.

I think around $1,000 bucks for a fairly straight core is pretty widespread. If you find anything much less than that it would be a bargain (and might look like it) in my opinion.

Other options:
Chrome vinyl wrap?
Elastomeric finish like some Chargers?

Does AMD sell bumpers for 71's? If so, that would be a lot cheaper than having yours rehromed.

$464 and In Stock

Screenshot_20230920-203925~2.png

Bumpers - Front Bumpers Bumpers - Front Bumpers

Get your original re-chromed. You're welcome. Tri-City plating did one for me, very good. Going to try a local outfit recommended by a friend for my next piece.

Tri-city I think is $775 a bumper these days..

Then Tri-City is a good deal. I had the bumpers on my 66 done here in the woods of Arkansas last year and they were around $1,000 each. Pretty big bumpers though.

If you’re looking to do them cheaply and dont care about longevity try Bumper Boyz as a last resort.

Getting things rechromed these days is getting anything but inexpensive. Prices have doubled over the last 3 or 4 years.
I hate to think what it would cost for rechroming everything for a forward look era mopar! I heard a story recently about a 59 Cadillac restoration that the chrome work ended up being something like $25,000 when all was said and done. Ouch!

If originality isn't an issue, it seems the time has come to start considering body-color painted bumpers.

Auto Transport Service
Back