• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inexpensive pin gauge set

fourgearsavoy

Local time
11:56 AM
Reaction score
I've been doing some carb tuning and I realized that I need some pin gauges to check jets, air bleeds, etc... There are some cheap ones on Amazon that have good reviews for being sized correctly. Anybody here use them or can recommend a set that would work for under $100.
Thanks
Gus

I have fractional, letter, metric, and number size drills from 0 to 80. I do use them for drilling and checking clearances. Very nice to own.
No substitute for having the right tools.
Mike

I have a set for drilling jets when none can be found. It has on the box hand drill only. To use as pin gauge use the base end of the bit.
The diameter on most drill bits tapers smaller towards the shank. I would measure them before using as a gage.

Also the shank is soft so will burr up easily if used in a drill. That will also make them iffy as a gage

I bought one on Amazon last year but I still found many of them to be slightly off. I’ve just got used to picking one of the size I need by first checking it with my caliper. At least they were progressive and if one was undersized the next one up usually checked out the diameter I wanted. I think this is the one I have so if you are looking for accuracy you will probably need to spend more than what this inexpensive kit cost. For my purposes, it and my calipers (which I check against good feeler gage sets) did what I needed. I have a couple of pin drill sets too and I find that they are often undersized also, so I check them with my calipers too.

Amazon product ASIN B0C1BVRMCK

I’m a machinist. It costs more to have the gauges “calibrated” than to buy new sets.

Btw… there are two different sets you can get. -/+ they are -.0002 or +.0002

If I ever have reason to question the use of my couple sets of decades old feeler gages for a calibration check of my calipers I’m not sure what I will fall back on. :rolleyes:

I would measure them before using as a gage.
Thank you for pointing that out. You did say most. Mine are old. Micrometer says they are not tapered.Came from Mac years ago. They just take up space in my tool box.Haven't used them for along time.

If you want really high precision and don't need any pins over .060" I would buy the, Starrett S4000-060 Precision Steel Pin Gage Set

This will get you covered from .011" to .060". I have this exact set, as well as, several larger diameter sets.

I did a little looking around and it looks like Zoro is offering the best deal currently.

Starrett Pin Gage Set, Plus, 0.011-0.060 In S4000-060 | Zoro

Good luck,
Tom

The Starrett 0.011 to 0.060" Pin gauge set is around $120.
The 0.061 to 0.250" is $260.
I spent the $$$ and bought the two Starrett sets above a few years ago. Not impressed with the storage cases for what they cost.
For carb work, I think the less expensive sets would work, and you could always check them with a micrometer.

I’ve seen some of the cheap ones over the years, where the ends were roughly deburred. It was enough that it could effect the feel when trying to gage a hole, so I would spin them in a collet Chuck and break the edge a little better with a fine stone.

I've been doing some carb tuning and I realized that I need some pin gauges to check jets, air bleeds, etc... There are some cheap ones on Amazon that have good reviews for being sized correctly. Anybody here use them or can recommend a set that would work for under $100.
Thanks
Gus
I have a set from Shars. According to my Starrett mic they are spot-on accurate. I think I paid about $70 for the set.

Thank you all for your replies I just started working on my spare carb converting it to run E85.

Gus

Auto Transport Service
Back