• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info on D 440

Jimmy James

Local time
5:56 PM
Reaction score
:blob1::hello2: I have a 440. The letter code is "D" which I know means 1968. The other stamped #s down by the starter are.
PT440P22850918. The vin is RS23l8G219122 . According to the fender tag this is a April 11 build date GTX. Can somebody tell me if this engine could be the original one that it came with off the assembly line? Was mid 1968 when they changed the way they number with the vin # on the engine?

:blob1::hello2: I have a 440. The letter code is "D" which I know means 1968. The other stamped #s down by the starter are.
PT440P22850918. The vin is RS23l8G219122 . According to the fender tag this is a April 11 build date GTX. Can somebody tell me if this engine could be the original one that it came with off the assembly line? Was mid 1968 when they changed the way they number with the vin # on the engine?

Using the Mopar 10K day calendar, the engine assembly date is 2285. That equates to Monday, October 30th, 1967. The pad on the driver's side front of the engine by the valley pan should say 10 30 HP. Original to the car? We don't know yet. Is the VIN stamped on the back of the block by the oil light sending unit?

I've seen VINs as low as 118*** from a '68 STL built car so STL had been stamping vins for 'a while' before this GTX was built.

Using the Mopar 10K day calendar, the engine assembly date is 2285. That equates to Monday, October 30th, 1967. The pad on the driver's side front of the engine by the valley pan should say 10 30 HP. Original to the car? We don't know yet. Is the VIN stamped on the back of the block by the oil light sending unit?

I've seen VINs as low as 118*** from a '68 STL built car so STL had been stamping vins for 'a while' before this GTX was built.

I will look again. I didn't see anything around the sender. will I have to remove it to look behind it?

I will look again. I didn't see anything around the sender. will I have to remove it to look behind it?

Look at the pad first for the HP stamping.
No HP = not original.
HP= then look for the VIN.

It takes some looking but the VIN shouldn't be that hard to find.

Attachments

• 68_Bellhousing_VIN_400.jpg
    68_Bellhousing_VIN_400.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 131
I looked everywhere even on the tranny ( automatic ) no vin numbers.. I know all the past owners and they said no engine swaps where ever done. This car has only22k miles. No HP on block by dist. Is there any possibility that info on build sheet would tie the engine to the body. Or numbers on tranny be the same numbers on the engine. Was the HP prefix being used on 1967 blocks. I just want to prove or dis prove that this engine is original . Is there something on an engine that would show it might be a dealer replacement engine. Thanks

With no HP on the pad and no VIN on the rear of the block on an April built car says no way it's original. Must have been swapped early on...

Auto Transport Service
Back