• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

!@#$ing spotwelds

Ashamed to admit this but I've drilled through most of the welds all the way through. Rookie stupid mistake. Not much experience with this but, that's how you learn I guess. So now I will get experience at welding holes before I put new panel on.

Find yourself a piece of 1/16 or thicker copper to hold/clamp on the back side of the hole when you go to weld in. Then weld over the top of it. Once you're done welding, the copper will freely come off. Sometimes it sticks a little, but just wobble back/forth to remove it. This route is a ton easier than trying to bridge or stack weld in holes in sheetmetal.

Good luck!

Yeah, it's unavoidable that you drill through on occasion but you don't want to make a habit of it! That is a good solution Prop, I think I still have some small pieces of copper stuck to my outer wheelhouses.

Thanks for the advice and thanks for not laughing me off the site. Now if I can just find a cowl.

Anyone use a plasma cutter to do this?

I've heard stories about being able to dial in the setting to cut the top panel but not the bottom one. Also heard you can dial it up to cut your patch panel and the panel to be patched at the same time, for a perfect fit. Any truth to either?

Spotwelds

Wow!!!!!!!! Finally shelled out for the Blair! What was I thinking before? That thing is like butter. Should have bought it in the first place. Yeah I know, I was told to do so. I cut 30 - 40 last night & had 2 drill thru. Much better results. Moral of the story is........ Buy the right tool, it is an investment you will not regret. I`m that way with hand tools usually, just got cheap on this 1 time use item. Don.

Auto Transport Service
Back