• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inner and outer sill plates

63wagon

Local time
3:53 AM
Reaction score
Been trying to polish these up and not having much luck.

Any suggestions would be helpful....thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1751.jpg
    IMG_1751.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 320
New is always the best, but if you have a buffing wheel get some 124 compound and try that, this is what it did for mine, if that would be close enough to do it.. Honestly there more shiny standing by the car then the picture, but this will give you a fair idea what it would do..
Picture2020120Medium20Small.gif

i got mine from dales cuda shop for my 70 RR for 56.00 free shipping ! . i didnt think that was too bad !

Well if there 300 bucks for them, forget the 124 compound.... wont work on gold! :)

sill plates

$300ish for a 63 plymouth 2 door:angry1:

1962-5 B-Body Sill Plate Set -(specify sdn, ht, conv)
polished and anodized
4 piece set (shown) (2 inners, 2 outers). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$325.00
2 piece set (62 B, 64-5 Race Hemi) (2 inners) . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$220.00
8 piece 1962-5 B Body 4 Door & Wagon . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$325.00

http://www.kramerauto.com/

such a deal!

Yeah they are expensive for what you get....I was polishing them on a buffer wheel and found the compound kept getting stuck in the grooves making them look worse.

I'm guessing they are stamped aluminum?

I used Flitz aluminum polish on mine and they came out really good. I'll post a pic later but that particular polish really cuts through the crud.

I couldn't stomach the $325 at the time! Plus you know the first time someone slams the seatbelt buckle in the door will then be a dark day for you...

Yeah they are expensive for what you get....I was polishing them on a buffer wheel and found the compound kept getting stuck in the grooves making them look worse.

I'm guessing they are stamped aluminum?

Try using a Dremel with a small buffing wheel attachment to clean out the really tight spots ... it works great.

I used Flitz aluminum polish on mine and they came out really good. I'll post a pic later but that particular polish really cuts through the crud.

I couldn't stomach the $325 at the time! Plus you know the first time someone slams the seatbelt buckle in the door will then be a dark day for you...

I'll look into it...thanks....I'm hemorage-ing $ with the paint, body and engine rebuild so I'd rather polish these.

Attachments

• IMG_1747.jpg
    IMG_1747.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 245
Here is my before:
sills.jpg

doorsills2.jpg

and after... not perfect but decent overall:

113_1304.jpg

113_1303.jpg

dodge071.jpg

It took quite a few applications of Flitz on each piece after getting the dents and bends out. You have to keep polishing with new coats and clean rags until the release of the ugly black stuff goes mostly away. If you only do a couple passes all that gunk is still in there, and if you use a blackened rag it just gets pushed back int.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKhRvPbYSkrAVrBmKOtxqNv13EpfH-3bZEBLciSjpeisOHrA4O7g.jpg

I think the dremel could be a good idea and would speed the process up.

Screw that, I just painted mine black. They were so beat, I couldn't justify the time to polish mine to almost new condition and the thought of 300 bucks for new ones made my wallet shut tight!!

Mine aren't that far gone and black or any other colour other than shiny just wouldn't look right.....so it's gonna be me and a polishing wheel.

Here is my before:

and after... not perfect but decent overall:

dodge071.jpg

I

They turned out quite nicely. Even if you end up getting new ones down the road, these look very presentable for now.

I orderd Flitz,im hopeing mine turn out shinny as well.They are in great shape just dull

Auto Transport Service
Back