• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inner Fender Needed?

JJordan1173

Local time
8:40 AM
Reaction score
Hello All,
1964 Plymouth Fury 4 Door Slant 6 225
Absolute worst nightmare happened last week. I hydroplaned on my way to work last week and hit a concrete barricade on the shoulder.
I am in the process of piecing everything together for the fix and thought I would ask you all for advice as this is a first go for me.
I ordered a new bumper (pictured), a used fender (pictured), and some headlight bezel molding (pictured). I am planning on taking it to a reputable body guy in town (New Orleans).
My question is based on the photo would anyone venture to guess or advise on if I will need to look for a new inner fender as well? Or will the body guy be able to fix this? Just want to see if I should start looking now. Any other info is welcome. Thanks y'all!

Screenshot_20231127_173954_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231114_140021_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20231127_174206_eBay.jpg

20231127_163228.jpg

20231114_092339.jpg

20231127_163402.jpg

20231127_163210.jpg

Hi Jorden, Well for what its worth, judging from the photos, I don't see a problem with the inner fender. The damage seems to be at the top along the
"fender join" portion at the front of the car. In the old days, if any serious damage happened to the inner fender concerning the area where the upper control
arms mount, a body shop would have pulled the area straight. I only see a very small amount of damage, but I am concerned with the rad support. Again, a
proper shop will pull this straight if they can. I have two 64' B bodies so I know this area. I don't think the rad support looks too bad, but you can't be sure until
the fender comes off. I think that the damage will be confined to the fender. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi Jorden, Well for what its worth, judging from the photos, I don't see a problem with the inner fender. The damage seems to be at the top along the
"fender join" portion at the front of the car. In the old days, if any serious damage happened to the inner fender concerning the area where the upper control
arms mount, a body shop would have pulled the area straight. I only see a very small amount of damage, but I am concerned with the rad support. Again, a
proper shop will pull this straight if they can. I have two 64' B bodies so I know this area. I don't think the rad support looks too bad, but you can't be sure until
the fender comes off. I think that the damage will be confined to the fender. Good luck!
Thanks Fury 440, appreciate the note. This puts it in perspective.

does the hood and other fender still fit proper? does the hood still shut normally?

Based on the pics that inner fender should be just fine. I had a similar mishap many years ago on my 68 because I was looking at a chicks @ss and not watching where I was going. :eek:
Destroyed the fender but everything else was just fine. Recently rebuilt the whole car, that side was great for fit.

Yes and yes.

hood fitting the cowl and opposite fender indicates the front is square, make sure whoever works on it has the capability to pull on it where needed........ pretty straight forward for a competent guy, be a little picky about who works on it

On the other hand, my 65 had left fender damage (filled with bondo) that pushed the entire fender assembly rearward. I did not think it was bad and replaced the inner due to battery caused rust. Also got a replacement fender. Had major bodywork done at a reputable shop but, nothing was "bolted on" the car. When it went to another shop for paint the damage was noted and the car went to a third shop for straightening and back for paint. Well, it's not perfect but, I have too much invested so the car was painted and some panel gaps are different (not that any of these old cars had gaps like new cars today).
Find a good frame shop!
Mike

Hello All,

Well got the Fury back from my body man today. Bill was about $1,500. Tell me what y'all think...Looking pretty good. Front hood takes a lil extra effort to shut now, but it still works all the same.
Guess I am just curious about feedback and what to expect from other body guys in the future and if you thought the price was fair.
Thanks.

20231218_182559.jpg

20231218_182619.jpg

20231218_182608.jpg

And yes the lines on the hood are not symmetrical. I will take more pics of the repaired inner fender.

Hello All,

Well got the Fury back from my body man today. Bill was about $1,500. Tell me what y'all think...Looking pretty good. Front hood takes a lil extra effort to shut now, but it still works all the same.
Guess I am just curious about feedback and what to expect from other body guys in the future and if you thought the price was fair.
Thanks.

View attachment 1575805

View attachment 1575806

View attachment 1575807
Just wondering Jorden, did your body man have to pull on the inner fender anywhere?
I know you were concerned. BTW, your car and the work look really good. :thumbsup:

Just wondering Jorden, did your body man have to pull on the inner fender anywhere?
I know you were concerned. BTW, your car and the work look really good. :thumbsup:
Thanks Fury 440 appreciate it.
In regards to the fender. It was a bit of an ordeal. When I initially showed my body man the photos of the car immediately after the accident (posted above) he told me to find a new fender. I went on ebay and found a b-body fender that looked good and bought it, but it ended up not being true to my Fury. So it was not used and I will be selling it.
So he was left with the damaged fender. After he took it off he was able to reshape it with dollies and hammers to what you see in the most recent photos. So far as I know he did not take off the inner fender. The hood lines between the hood and the fender are not true and the hood needs to be pushed down hard to shut on that side, but as noted it looks good and the price is not something I can argue with.

Thanks Fury 440 appreciate it.
In regards to the fender. It was a bit of an ordeal. When I initially showed my body man the photos of the car immediately after the accident (posted above) he told me to find a new fender. I went on ebay and found a b-body fender that looked good and bought it, but it ended up not being true to my Fury. So it was not used and I will be selling it.
So he was left with the damaged fender. After he took it off he was able to reshape it with dollies and hammers to what you see in the most recent photos. So far as I know he did not take off the inner fender. The hood lines between the hood and the fender are not true and the hood needs to be pushed down hard to shut on that side, but as noted it looks good and the price is not something I can argue with.
Thanks for the update. You were lucky to have found a REAL body man who still knows his craft. If I had to guess, there's likely
a very small population of them left. Most of the guys I used to run with sadly died fairly young, a hazard of their working conditions.
Todays crowd seem to be only into replace or write off. Who will teach when all the teachers are gone?

Thanks for the update. You were lucky to have found a REAL body man who still knows his craft. If I had to guess, there's likely
a very small population of them left. Most of the guys I used to run with sadly died fairly young, a hazard of their working conditions.
Todays crowd seem to be only into replace or write off. Who will teach when all the teachers are gone?
Funny you mention. My body man is 61 and we sat around Bsin for a few hours after I picked up the car. I am 39 and have a 9-5 but I am going to take my summers off and any off time to work with him on bigger projects. I am trying to learn anything and everything. Down here in New Orleans. PM me if anyone needs a helper in the New Orleans area and you know a thing or two!

Looks good to me from the pics. Don't worry too much about panel alignment as long as its close.
Panel alignment sucked on our cars from day one.

Auto Transport Service
Back