• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Install a 71 charger dash and harness into a 73 charger

dodge1972

Local time
8:04 AM
Reaction score
Checking with the group to ask if 71 charger with rallye gauges with wiring harness will function in a 73 charger. Plan to replace the horizontal unit the rallye gauges. My concern is the dash wiring harness to the engine bay and tail lights. Do I need the wiring harness from the engine bay and other running lights?

I grafted a 73 rallye dash harness into a 71 charger.It took some time soldering the wires in but everything works. I couldn't use the entire harness because someone had been cutting on it and it was missing parts of it. I can put either clusters in now.

Can you make it? Yes.

will be a perfect plug and play match? No

some wires on engine bay side were switched around between forward lighting harness and engine harness between 71 and 73.

On cab side 71 doesn’t get all the seatbelt warning stuff 73s got ( sensors, relay... )

Even wires are the same wiper switch and plug changes. This must be considered depending on the wiper motor you have and the one you got on your car ( 2 or 3 speeds ). If switch with cluster matches your motor you are done. If not, will need to get the switch because standard and rallye cluster also changes ( so, not just because the year but also because the diff cluster )

door jam switch conector also changes. You will need to get the EXPENSIVE 71 switch or modify wire terminals to install on the 73 switch ( no hard to do )

will get into mor detail as soon arrive home

Can you make it? Yes.

some wires on engine bay side were switched around between forward lighting harness and engine harness between 71 and 73.

On cab side 71 doesn’t get all the seatbelt warning stuff 73s got ( sensors, relay... )

Even wires are the same wiper switch and plug changes. This must be considered depending on the wiper motor you have and the one you got on your car ( 2 or 3 speeds ). If switch with cluster matches your motor you are done. If not, will need to get the switch because standard and rallye cluster also changes ( so, not just because the year but also because the diff cluster )

door jam switch conector also changes. You will need to get the EXPENSIVE 71 switch or modify wire terminals to install on the 73 switch ( no hard to do )

If
Can you make it? Yes.

based on your analysis, If I change out the engine bay harness and wiper motor (no electric window) to include lights it should work out?

depending on what you do have and what do you want.

usually wires turned around are the prop valve light wire, wiper washer wire and some other I can't recall right now. Will check tomorrow... 1:40 am here.

I have 71 and 73 diagrams to make a straight comparision. The only diagram I don't have is 72.

The washer, if electric on 71, runs on engine harness on 71/72 because reservoir is on passenger side, while on 73/74 is on driver side. My 74 gets it on headlight harness... stuff like this is what make to turn around some wires between harnesses. ( 74 even more because the interlock system )

71s didn't get the NSS ground signal into the cab because 71s didn't get the seatbelt buzzer controled by a relay when geared. This also make to change the A/C wiring if equipped, because on 71 blower and compressor where on NSS harness plug, and 72/73 got just the blower on this plug, while compressor moved to the engine harness

thats what I have in mind right now

will confirm later more stuff. But is not hard to make... the deal is, it can be made IF you don't care anymore the seatbelt warning system stuff. And still if you want it, you can play to the doctor and make small surgery on harness to get it done

Last edited:
OK... about the wiper switch, these are the differences. On one attachment is the prong/plug configuration setup. Colored diagram is valid for 72/74, while the non colored is 71. 71 gets two plugs intead one piece plug 72/74 gets, however wires are the same:

underdash wiper switch1.jpg

on next attachment the diff switches setup:

Wiper switches 71-4B (2).jpg

Short ones are Rallye cluster. Each one of those gets its larger shaft version ( just like the one on the right which is 3 speeds, like the 3rd one ) for standard cluster. Here you can see why the plug and prongs configuration is diff between 71 and 72/74.

Now... what you can make ? well, what does your car gets, and what the rallye cluster gets ?

If your car is 2 speeds motor and the cluster carries a 2 speed switch, you are done. Just will need to consider when finding replacement, will need to search it for 71 and not for 73 ( 71s are harder to find thought ). You can also get the correct 72/74 two speed switch for rallye cluster if you care about correctness on your car, but at your choice.

Now if your car gets 3 speeds motor and cluster carries 2 speed, you can try to find a Variable speed switch for 71 ( there was not 3 speeds for 71s as far I recall but variable ) or get a 3 speeds switch for 72/74 Rallye cluster, OR get shortened the standard cluster switch shaft... which is posible if you have the skills. I made it once because I was on same deal than you with a 71 cluster carrying a variable switch to install it on my 74 standard cluster with 2 speeds. Bieng overseas, these parts are harder and expensive to find so I got shortened the shaft my 2 speeds standard cluster switch. LATER I made the upgrade because I wanted a 3speeds/variable wiper system and got the motor and linkage to jump up on the wiper motor upgrade and reinstalled the 71 variable wiper switch. So I have a 74 with a 71 variable speed switch setup. Of course I had both plastic plugs to make the change. I also bough the 72/74 3 speed switch later I got on a decent price for Rallye cluster but have it saved just in case the switch fails.

Now if your car is 3 speed wiper motor, and the 71 Rallye cluster is 2 speeds you told to get the motor ( and linkage ) from the 71 ? well IMHO that's an stepback, specially because normally everybody upgrades to var/3 speeds system. Aside this, the parking cam system on 2 speed motors is a headache. Var/3 speeds motor is more reliable and serviceable at home with the parts in hands.

So this is all the field. Is just about match the combo you want according with what you get.

on all this, Headlight switch still is the same for both clusters and years.

Last edited:
Door jam switch ( driver side )

this is 71/72

!BS)JgDgCGk~$(KGrHgoOKigEjlLmJg8nBKE1Thv8B!~~_1.JPG

This is 73/74

s-l300.jpg

So you can figure out the diff plug on harness for them. 3 pins one piece for 71 and two female spade terminals for 73

Passenger side on 71 I think is just like the 73/74. In any case that's easier why? Let's see

Driver side handles these signals... Dome light network and driver warning signals. For WHICHEVER REASON ( I don't get it really ), the 71 got separated the ground for the time delay flasher to control courtesy light on ign switch and the seatbelt warning light ( which is delay time controled too ) while dome light gets a diff pin for it on both doors... the 3rd pin on driver side is to feed the lights on buzzer ( if optioned ) and key in buzzer. This makes the lights on buzzer and key in buzzer just buzz with driver side door.

on 73 the system was simplified to just two prongs on driver side, keeping the time delay flasher integrated into the dome light circuit... while the driver warning signal remains the same than previous years.

So... on this you can either get the 71 driver side switch ( not easy and usually expensive ) or modify the plug to fit on your existant driver side switch. Piece of cake... dome light and time delay circuits which are both yellow wires being spliced into a single terminal, and keep the black wire for the driver warning signals in a separated terminal.

on passenger side 71 still gets both yellow wires separated and won't get the black wire. You can either keep it in that way since the passenger side switch is matched to it, or replicate the splicing job made on driver side... at your choice.

Bulkhead pin out

71-73 BK comparision.jpg

this could be hard to read but here I go

Wiper plug is the same for both

NSS Harness plug gets one diference. Pin 3 on 73 gets a ground signal while pin 4 gets the blower. This is because on 72 and 73 the seatbelt warning signal is triggered when car is geared, so requires the ground from NSS. On 71 3 and 4 was used for Blower and A/C Compressor if equipped.

This change made the compressor clutch wire ( on A/C cars ) was moved to pin 20 on engine harness which was the only one free on 71/73. Cars with tach on 71 used this empty cavity for it, while cars with tach on 72/73 got a grommet through the firewall for it because now the pin 20 was destinated for A/C.

Pin 12 on 71 was used for brake fluid pressure warning signal, while on 73 for horns. This change made also the cavity 24 switch these around between them, because on 71 is for horns while on 73 is for brake fluid pressure warning signal.

Rest remain the same.

other details... As mentioned, since 72 Mopars got a seatbelt warning signal working together with transmission ground, and seat and seatbelt sensors. This added a feature for 72/73 using a buzzer along with the indicator light, while on 71 is JUST the light controled by the time delay flasher. This makes is acomplete diff setup on the warning system. Here the seatbelt light light wired on 71:

time delay wiring.jpg

On this you must decide if you want to keep the seatbelt warning system from your 73 or keep it like 71. The seatbelt light also changes between 71 and 72/74 because 71 gets a grounded seatbelt insert and single wire socket for the bulb while 72/74 is ungrounded insert with a dual wire bulb socket. But this is not really a problem, except for the 71 if it got the drivers aid package with the low fuel warning light, which requires this ground on insert not on socket. And as far wires on plug are not turned around either of course.

setabeltinsertdiff.jpg

The seatbelt warning system wiring can be moved from one harness to the other if you care. just couple of splices here and there.

I GUESS this change made also require a fuse for the RUN circuit into the cab. On 71 this fuse was unexistant since was only used for the OIL ( if standard cluster ) and BRAKE lights on cluster. There is not a danger on that, but on 72 and lates, the RUN circuit was expanded to feed also the seatbelt warning system, so more wires to this circuit all along the dash frame and floors to be shorted with chassis.

run fuse 71-73.jpg

Of course as mentioned I have the diagrams for this if you want to incorporate the seatbelt warning system on the 71 harness and I can help you on this. I have worked on this for my 74 which is even more complex ( because 74s in Venezuela were wired like 71s ), first to remove it from the 74 Rallye harness I got, then to add it back when I completed the interlock system to my car. Of course would need to untape both harness to make the surgery.

Last edited:
YOU CAN ALSO JUST USE THE RALLYE HARNESS CLUSTER SECTION FROM THE 71 AND SPLICE IT ON YOUR EXISTANT 73 STANDARD CLUSTER HARNESS...

next difference, A/C harness ( if equipped ).

A/C harness is linked to the underdash harness just to the Black wire to the control unit and the wires running to the bulkhead. If you remove those from plastic plugs you can install the harness on whichever dash harness. But the control switch changes between 71/72 and 73/74. While the blower speed switch gets a pigtail to plug into the A/C harness ( something like this ):

3502679.jpg

the 73/74 blower speed switch gets the harness plugged directly to the switch ( something like this ):

28843001.jpg

so will need to match parts depending on what do you want. But is not a major issue. Wiring is the same, just the plug and prongs pinout changes

71/72 control unit uses also two bulbs for light on the face, while 73/74 uses just one.

and I THINK that pretty much covers up everything. Not sure If I'm missing something.

EDITING, you asked about tail lights... don't worry... is the same for all 71/74s, including 4 doors. The differences are straight into the tail light pigtails and not into the body harness between kick panel and trunk.

Last edited:
OK... about the wiper switch, these are the differences. On one attachment is the prong/plug configuration setup. Colored diagram is valid for 72/74, while the non colored is 71. 71 gets two plugs intead one piece plug 72/74 gets, however wires are the same:

View attachment 963018

on next attachment the diff switches setup:

View attachment 963021

Short ones are Rallye cluster. Each one of those gets its larger shaft version ( just like the one on the right which is 3 speeds, like the 3rd one ) for standard cluster. Here you can see why the plug and prongs configuration is diff between 71 and 72/74.

Now... what you can make ? well, what does your car gets, and what the rallye cluster gets ?

If your car is 2 speeds motor and the cluster carries a 2 speed switch, you are done. Just will need to consider when finding replacement, will need to search it for 71 and not for 73 ( 71s are harder to find thought ). You can also get the correct 72/74 two speed switch for rallye cluster if you care about correctness on your car, but at your choice.

Now if your car gets 3 speeds motor and cluster carries 2 speed, you can try to find a Variable speed switch for 71 ( there was not 3 speeds for 71s as far I recall but variable ) or get a 3 speeds switch for 72/74 Rallye cluster, OR get shortened the standard cluster switch shaft... which is posible if you have the skills. I made it once because I was on same deal than you with a 71 cluster carrying a variable switch to install it on my 74 standard cluster with 2 speeds. Bieng overseas, these parts are harder and expensive to find so I got shortened the shaft my 2 speeds standard cluster switch. LATER I made the upgrade because I wanted a 3speeds/variable wiper system and got the motor and linkage to jump up on the wiper motor upgrade and reinstalled the 71 variable wiper switch. So I have a 74 with a 71 variable speed switch setup. Of course I had both plastic plugs to make the change. I also bough the 72/74 3 speed switch later I got on a decent price for Rallye cluster but have it saved just in case the switch fails.

Now if your car is 3 speed wiper motor, and the 71 Rallye cluster is 2 speeds you told to get the motor ( and linkage ) from the 71 ? well IMHO that's an stepback, specially because normally everybody upgrades to var/3 speeds system. Aside this, the parking cam system on 2 speed motors is a headache. Var/3 speeds motor is more reliable and serviceable at home with the parts in hands.

Your information is much apricated and more comprehensive than anticipated. At this time, I have a couple of options based on the information provided by my Mopar supporters. Over the years, I have removed dash clusters and converted Rallye dashed by replacing clocks with tachometer, but I have never owned a charger with a plain dash, thus the goal to install a Rallye dash. I have noted the original horizontal dash harness can be replaced with sections of the Rallye dash. Plan to check the manual to determine if this maybe a better option. Perhaps you have an option. Thanks

So this is all the field. Is just about match the combo you want according with what you get.

on all this, Headlight switch still is the same for both clusters and years.

I grafted a 73 rallye dash harness into a 71 charger.It took some time soldering the wires in but everything works. I couldn't use the entire harness because someone had been cutting on it and it was missing parts of it. I can put either clusters in now.
Can you expand on your experience with revision the original harness. Thanks

Your information is much apricated and more comprehensive than anticipated. At this time, I have a couple of options based on the information provided by my Mopar supporters. Over the years, I have removed dash clusters and converted Rallye dashed by replacing clocks with tachometer, but I have never owned a charger with a plain dash, thus the goal to install a Rallye dash. I have noted the original horizontal dash harness can be replaced with sections of the Rallye dash. Plan to check the manual to determine if this maybe a better option. Perhaps you have an option. Thanks

had to expand the quote to find your comment inserted on the quotation LOL

Yes, and I guess is what drhill made, is posible just use the cluster wiring section to link the standard multipin conector to the diff wiring web on rallye cluster. It can be made in tow ways.

The clean: Cut the multipin and splice Rallye the cluster harness pigtail into the standard harness. Color wires are exactly the same so will be a straight up job splicing the wires. The harder could be splice all the orange wiring network for cluster lighting into the only orange wire available into the multipin conector althought could be done in a couple of splices.

The versatile: Make a male multipin conector for the rallye cluster pigtail to plug it straight into the round stock multipin of the standard cluster harness...OR replace the round multipin conector with a more universal molex female plug setup and use the male one to match it with it

Something like this ( 12 ways conector will be enough ):

092-564_HR_0.jpg

just need to reinsert the female terminals from the round one into the female squared one. Then get the Rallye cluster harness pigtail done to this plug with the male molex terminals.

( BTW, I think male and female terminals are backwards into the plugs for the pic I used )

the ONLY difference on this will be on Standard cluster harness, the gauges ( VL ) are feeded from RUN circuit and on Rallye cluster harness the gauges are feeded from ACC circuit for whatever reason... so you will have now a Rallye cluster with gauges feeded from RUN circuit.

I made this job making a custom cluster for a 74 Dart Sport around maybe 7 or 8 years ago. Just in case the owner decided to go back to the stock cluster, so would need just to replace back the square receptacle for the original round one and install the stock cluster again, plug it and done.

Last edited:
1D6A1D1E-22F0-41CD-8806-02658D88961E.jpeg

This is the back of the cluster made for the Dart Sport and you can see the male molex plug. So I just inserted the stock harness terminals into the female molex plug. No cut wires here just replaced the round conector for the squared one. Sorry, no pic of the stock harness with the squared plug.

1BEDE870-AD6F-46FC-B28E-DB644DC6712A.jpeg

( testing the cluster lighting I did feed the pilot lights to check they were working )

DDED5CD2-D712-43DD-B2CF-0D6F412EB156.jpeg

12 ways plug is more than enough because in fact the cluster just need 10

Lt turning
Rt turning
High Beams
VL
Ground
Oil
Temp
Gas
Brake light
Cluster light circuit

Clock gets its own wire on Rallye cluster straight to ammeter studs, althougth standard harness gets a wire for it ( would be unused ) with a packard 56 plug. The advantage on the standard cluster is the clock source is fused but the Rallye cluster not

Tach gets it's own separated harness from the dash harness.

Wiper switch is on the opposite side... HOWEVER maybe the harness pigtail for it is long enough and still could reach it on the Rallye cluster at driver side.

Auto Transport Service
Back