• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing Denso mini starter and the cables don't reach.

68 Chris

Local time
3:01 PM
Reaction score
Stock 440, stock exhaust manifolds.

I'm sure you have all dealt with this, I am installing a Denso Mini starter in replacement for the factory starter. My cable to the battery and ignition comes down and is in a clip that holds it to the wheel housing. I took the cable out of the clip on the wheel housing and it is still to short to reach the far side of the mini starter where the terminals are. I searched the forum for another thread that talked about it but couldn't find one. Is there an adapter or do I need to buy a new cable?

Check the first link below under the heading similar threads. Search "mini starter" may reveal numerous links.

Sounds like your cables are too short.

Thanks, I'll try again tomorrow but everything is stock on my car, it's completely restored to stock everything. Brand new wiring harness as well. Is this a common issue or is this just me? I only made one attempt. Maybe I'm asking questions too quickly.

What car are you working on? You said wheel housing, do you mean inner fender panel? The cables for the mini starter on my '69 GTX stock 440 fit fine.

What car are you working on? You said wheel housing, do you mean inner fender panel? The cables for the mini starter on my '69 GTX stock 440 fit fine.

It's a 68 charger and yes inner fender, wheel housing. There is a flexible clip that holds the cable and it doesn't reach at this point. If I take it out of the clip it touches the manifold and steering column but still barely reaches. I'm going to try again this evening to get some slack.

Just to rule out the simple stuff, are the correct 2 cables being used? Or are the cables going to the starter relay and starter switched around?

My cables had to be rerouted but they are not correct replacements. Also, there is a piece on the mini starter that needs to be removed. This is explained in another thread.

Posted via Topify on Android

I have the cable that comes down as one cable and it has a white peice on the end that fits a small and large bolt.

I have a 68 GTX and put in a mini starter. Had a similar problem, but had the original cables and once I took off the cover from the terminal on the starter everything fit okay. I would have never known to take off that cover had I not checked with 440 Source customer service. And would have returned my second mini starter. Frustrating I know.

I'm up and running, I just needed to take off a few plastic clips that were holding the cables to the inner fender. I took the cable out of one of the clips up top by the master cylinder and it gave me the slack I needed. Ever thing is in and working well. Thanks to all of you for offering your suggestions. Much appreciated.

Auto Transport Service
Back