• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing my 426 Hemi back into the engine bay questions...

Dean Prevolos

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:21 PM
Reaction score
I purchased my 67 Charger with the 426 engine on the stand (was rebuilt). I have been working on my car to freshen it up. Once I get ready to re-install the engine, I have spoken with a few Hemi Owners that recommend removing the K member, attached the engine and trans to the K member and then lift car, slide the engine/k member on a dolly under the car and then lower the car to fastened the k member.

I have installed smaller engines with trans attached in other cars from the top but I know that is not possible with this Charger Hemi.

If I install the engine first , with a cherry picker, how difficult is it to install the A833 trans onto the engine? I would prefer not to remove the K member if I don't have to.

Any comments welcome. Thanks in advance.

I just reinstalled the Hemi in my 68 Charger through the top and it was one of the easiest installs I've ever done. I installed it with the clutch and bell on the motor and put the 833 in from underneath.

I bought a mid lift and I have had my gen 2 hemi with tremic in and out of car at least 5 times 1 day for mocking up parts best thing I did was go from under car with Getting a lift or use a cherry picker and lift up car from front end

Remove the battery tray - it only clears the left valve cover by a fraction of an inch. I helped a friend install his Hemi and A833 mounted on a stand from below using an engine hoist to raise the body. His stand wasn't really built right to also support the transmission adequately so that was working against him and the oil pan took a beating before we were through. I thought it was a royal pain in the *** doing it that way. I know a lot of guys like doing it that way but I think it's one of those procedures that has a learning curve.

My Hemi is an automatic car easy. With a 4 speed having an engine leveler so you can get bellhousing into tunnel would help. Have it tilted so rear of engine goes into trans tunnel first. Make sure you don't have pass side insulator on backward, don't ask why I know.

I know a 67 may be different from 65, but there was no way my hemi was coming out of my belvedere with the trans attached. I removed the trans and then lifted the hemi straight up with a sling. Back in the same way.

IMG_1150.JPG

Done a couple of my Hemi cars from the top with no more issues than dropping in any other type of engine combo. Just tighter tolerances on everything to squeeze it in.

I've never understood trying to get a motor AND tranny combo out through the top with a picker, small V8 to a Hemi....just way too many things that can go wrong and/or get damaged in the process. I'd rather spend an hour trying to get a bell housing bolt tightened up, and curse and swear wrestling a tranny into place laying on my back, then risk damaging something. ;)

Lifting engine and transmission weighing in at 1000 lbs better make sure your cable is strong enough.

I am about to install by lifting front body up thru shock tower mounting holes with cherry picker.

The K member will be already attached to engine mounts.

My engine is mounted to a engine stand ready to back in place.

Make sure all the everything surrounding motor is in place because there will be little room after its in place.

10 22 20.jpg
3  21 20.jpg

Thanks for all of your comments, photos and suggestions. All options are on the table and once I decide which way I will put the engine back in, I will document with photos for the Forum. In order of ease, the engine only from the top makes sense except for the installation of bellhousing/trans laying on my back. A compromise to install the engine and bellhousing (Fran Baker) installation with only having to slide the trans in laying on my back seems reasonable. Finally, as Bold and Gold did, removing the K member/front end assembly, fasten the engine to the K member fully dressed with all accessories and lift car from shock towers and slide in, seems the most efficient, as long as I take the time to dissassemble the K member/front end, have a dolly made or purchased, and have a few buddies on hand to help me.

The last small block engine with bellhousing/trans attached, which I installed in a Chevelle several years ago, was solo with my wife operating the cherry picker as I guided it in. Went in on the first try, begginners luck. This beast will take a little more planning, which is why I am asking the question before I try. Again thanks to all of you.

To me the risk of paint or component damage is too high going in from the top...especially as I'm usually on my own....apart from the smallest four pot motors I always go in from underneath on car that its possible too....there are some I've worked on that have to go in from the top..

I have installed smaller engines with trans attached in other cars from the top but I know that is not possible with this Charger Hemi.
Wut.jpg
You know that's how folks did it under shade trees and in garages at home for decades, right?
Now, is it the preferred way? Of course not, but it's certainly possible.

I just reinstalled the Hemi in my 68 Charger through the top and it was one of the easiest installs I've ever done. I installed it with the clutch and bell on the motor and put the 833 in from underneath.
This...

I know a 67 may be different from 65, but there was no way my hemi was coming out of my belvedere with the trans attached. I removed the trans and then lifted the hemi straight up with a sling. Back in the same way.
View attachment 1031420
And this....

Now, having said that, how'd I do it last time with my 440/A833 - by my old scraggly self, no less?
From the top...
happy ed 3-26-17.jpg

first engine swap.jpg

DON'T DO THAT. You'll wind up looking like me! :thumbsup:

I have certainly pulled and replaced engines from the top. When I restored my Road Runner I installed it from the bottom with the K member and all exhaust and accessories installed. If I can help it, I will never again install an engine from the top.

Lots of people have pulled and installed engines from the top, but as others have said, you end up with about 1000 pounds (with tranny) hanging from a chain. In my opinion, it is just too easy to beat something up by banging the engine around this way. But even if you don't, you then need to install all engine components in the car, leaning over fenders, etc.

Going from the bottom allows not only the tranny to be easily installed, but also allows all accessories and exhaust manifolds/headers to be installed. Alternator, power steering, carb, etc. can all be installed before it is put in the car, allowing for easy access. Let me tell you, this is the easiest way I have EVER installed headers. (To be fair, I have only done this with big blocks and never a Hemi, so I can't speak specifically to a Hemi installation)

My $0.02, for what it is worth.

Good luck regardless of the path you choose.

Auto Transport Service
Back