• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

instrument repair

deputybob2004

Local time
3:57 AM
Reaction score
I just bought a new set of gauge overlays and would like to know if anyone has ever installed any. Im afraid to pull on the speedometer needle to take it off. anyone ever done one of these resto's let me know. thanks bob

70 road runner 440 6 pack

I just did mine yesterday - I left the speedo needle on and just cut a small slit... my needle was not coming off easily so I did not want to damage it.... the slit is visible as i went from black to white faces but not visible at rest.. I'll be able to live with it.

I did mine and it was no problem. Just make sure you pull it off straight. I used a thin pair of needle nose pliers to put under the needle and pulled straight off. Make sure the needle is in the correct position before you push it back on. I didn't! I had to remove and re-install it.

I had no problem getting the speedo needle off.

I thought the ammeter was the trickiest because of the needle being in the middle of the gauge. The other gauges with the needle all the way to the left seemed easier.

Auto Transport Service
Back