• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insurance common knowledge?

miller

Local time
4:58 AM
Reaction score
Or, as usual, I'm the last one to find out.

Got my 64 Ply insured through Allstate, since we have had the house, and both pick-ups through them for years. I didn't want any dang restrictions on the 64, and figured $400 a year was a reasonable price.
On the vehicles, we re-new every six months...and a week ago, got the next re-new papers from Allstate. All three had gone up! The 64 almost doubled, to $800 a year. Wife and I went down, to find out why. (I'm not a phone guy...a problem...I'm going to look somebody in their face.)

Part of it was, because 'somebody' screwed up, and a payment didn't get posted right. Yeah, I made the trip then, too, and was told all was good.

Now this...we're in Texas, wife is 72, I'm 71. Have been told, strictly because of our age, at some point in time, rate goes up $10 a month (each) every 10 years. After 70...every year!!
What a load of crap!

Ouch that hurts! Look into Grundy barely any restrictions. I have them and are very happy with them.

Miller I hear ya loud and clear , our agent passed away last year,
I just took for granted he was doing a good job, he had all our insurance business, cars, homes , life , health.

After he passed a new guy took over the agency and just was not a people person so I went across the street , no kidding a 50 ft walk.
different company, agent ect. we moved it all except the term life after I passed their back ground ck ect.
Saved close to $900 per year and same coverage, deducts ect.
Shop around miller. worst you can do is save some $

Have you checked Hagerty? Never heard of insurance increasing like that as you get older........that is a bunch of crap

I know that you said that you like to look a person in their eyes, but you should search online. An agent is ALWAYS going to be more expensive because they have to get their cut. Try Geico, Progressive, etc. You will definitely save some money.

Have you checked Hagerty? Never heard of insurance increasing like that as you get older........that is a bunch of crap
Had Hagerty for over 8 years now. Agreed on car value / price and unlimited usage. Excellent to deal with and not expensive. I assume Grundy is similar.
Good Luck!

Hartford AARP $121 a month full coverage both modern Mopars. $1M Umbrella.
J C Taylor, Upper Darby, Pa. $180 a year agreed on the 69.

I'm with grundy for more years than I can remember.My premium went UP again this year so I called them.I was told they added an inflation rider so as the value of my car goes up the policy automatcally goes up. I took that **** right off as Iknow my brick is not going up and they refunded the increased premium for 2 years!! Now I did have to jump through some hoops when I 1st applied because of the rollcage,,,,,,but I'm a good dancer. I do pay a modified rate cause,,,,,,I'm modified

If your an AARP member try the AARP Hartford plan I saved $500. Sometimes being a loyal customer costs. Regular Hartford is expensive. My regular insurance guy retired so I changed. Now the problem its phone only I think. aarp.thehartford.com 1-800-423-6789

As for daily driver get that "i'm with them for years" outta your head. It don't mean ****! You should check rates every 2 years to keep your Ins Co in check!
Why is it when you buy a new car the premium goes UP every years as the DEprecates every year??:bs_flag:

Check Heacock Classic,Agreed Value.
Lots less than Grundy&Hagerty.
Goes by intended miles per year & if stored in
locked garage when not in use

Seems like $400 a year is pricey. Should be more like around $300. Unless it’s a DD. So many good companies to check with. Allstate wouldn’t be one I’d include. I would take one of the specialty companies like a Hagerty or Grundy, Philadelphia companies etc. those companies all have special little coverages usually not included in standard carriers paper. Besides you want a carrier that knows what to do in the event of a claim.

I know of no other way to say this so I will just come right out with it...Allstate is a terrible Insurance Company!!! They have always been that way. When I was an Independent Agent for 10 yrs, Allstate was the worst to deal with when settling claims for my insureds. As the saying used to go, You are in good hands with Allstate, they hide the middle Bird Finger and conduct their business in that fashion. Your best bet is to start shopping around as there are numerous other carriers out there that will do a far better job of keeping your business and being involved on a more personal level. Stay away from the Direct Line companies like Allstate and State Farm. But do shop around and not just every 2 years but every 6 months to a year for the best possible rates. Then study your policy documents very thoroughly so you know what you are paying for and getting in return. Good Luck...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

It's a local Allstate agent, we deal with. And, Hagerty was suggested, telling me many of the restrictions they had are off the table, now. Admit I'm a hard-headed bastard, if I wanna drive the thing 1000 miles...guess what! Yeah, I'll be doing some more checking, with them, and others.

And, for what it's worth (since the agent easily figured out, I was NOT a happy camper), they said simple. Cancel 'that' policy, start a new one, with the original rates, and it helped...for now.

Did learn a lousy lesson, through it all...don't grow old. Was also told, those were the practices of most auto insurers...since us 'old folk' can't drive worth a damn, anyway. Not like these 'new and improved' little pieces of ****. (Damn...feel better!) :D

I know of no other way to say this so I will just come right out with it...Allstate is a terrible Insurance Company!!! They have always been that way. When I was an Independent Agent for 10 yrs, Allstate was the worst to deal with when settling claims for my insureds. As the saying used to go, You are in good hands with Allstate, they hide the middle Bird Finger and conduct their business in that fashion. Your best bet is to start shopping around as there are numerous other carriers out there that will do a far better job of keeping your business and being involved on a more personal level. Stay away from the Direct Line companies like Allstate and State Farm. But do shop around and not just every 2 years but every 6 months to a year for the best possible rates. Then study your policy documents very thoroughly so you know what you are paying for and getting in return. Good Luck...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:
High rates to protect the Brother sitting in the middle of the intersection with Hellcats smoldering by.

Hager the Hagerty. One payment a year,under 200$ a year for 25.000 coverage no deduct
Welp...hager 'em, right?

Went to their website for a quote, 2,000 miles a year (they changed it to over 2,500 miles, because I'm in Texas), $25,000 coverage. Results...just under $600 a year!
Yeah, right. Restrictions still in play, too.

New (re-done) rate for the 64, $444 a year. Wonder which one???

Geico < with same company for 23 years, changed to Geico 10 years ago saved, NO ****, 33% on the three car policies. My other insurance guy said no one in NY can come close to them. Don't know about elsewhere.

Have JC Taylor for my ride, pretty low rate never had a claim, other than a windshield, so can't speak to claims service.

My coverage with Hagerty is $580 for the year. $25k coverage on the car and this includes all the driving I want. My policy also covers all my tools in the garage. I still think Hagerty is the best deal and then Geico but Geico is new to the game of the classic cars. Stay away from Allstate and Stay Farm......good luck on whatever you choose....

Auto Transport Service
Back