• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insurance Questions -

Garceau

Local time
10:35 AM
Reaction score
Been reading quite a few threads and reviews -

Car insurance is a love-hate ordeal. Just about the time ya get 5 or 6 good replies for one, ya find the same amounts negative.

Picked up a clean 66 Satellite. Looking to get it on the road next month or so.

I've got quotes from Hagerty and Geico..... I have Geico for my 300 and they've been great to deal with.

But looking at more options and feedback.

Thanks everyone

DSC04601.JPG DSC04556.JPG

I'm skeptical of the main stream companies understanding classic cars. I first went with my local State Farm (whom I have all my other insurance with) for my '66 Satellite. They said no problem, we have a new classic car division. The agent snapped some pics and done deal. A month later they came back and said the car was only worth $9500., so they wouldn't agree to my stated value. An original, driving, Hemi 4-speed car. I don't have to tell anyone here how ridiculous that is. I made a call to Hagerty and was insured with them within an hour and never looked back.

Agreed value or move on. I bet Geico isn't insuring for agreed value, not your value anyhow.

Hagerty and we drive'm where ever we want, when we want. No "Sunday cruise and car show only" bs of other insurers.
fathersdaycruisejune202021 059.JPG

I have had Grundy for 18 years. Great rates and agreed value coverage. With prices on cars through the roof insure it for more than you paid.

Alternative Insurance Solutions (Grundy), Eugene Scott. 1-800-770-6202, better rates than I was quoted by Hagerty and no deductible. This agent really knows these cars across the board, and years.

The Hagerty agent wanted the same premiums and valued my 69 Charger like it's a Chevy.

Last edited:
As a agent I insure alot of classic cars and my go to is Hagerty. They know classic cars.

You definitely want a specialty company for your classic. I’ve mentioned before I retired from the Ins business after 35 years with a few of the top carriers in the country. When I sold my X to my good friend I also advised him on insurance companies that understood the biz and these cars. I told him Haggerty, Grundy and Condon and Skelly. Of course there are a few others at the top but these are the ones I recommended. He bought the car - listened to my advice on carriers ( which he solicited) Then promptly turned around and added the X to his American Family policy because they advised him they were really getting into the classic market. I said - so you don’t mind them practicing on you and the X? Bottom line he didn’t take my advice - had a major occurrence. He had to fight with them for over year or more to get part of what the others would have simply written a check for. He might of saved a few bucks on premium - not even sure that was the case. A stubborn Swede - did it his way in spite of my 48 years with the car. Forget about the standard insurers that have a “program for classic” Do yourself a favor an take one of the well known names that this is what they do. Forget the others. That’s my speech. Up to you.

A friend I go to car shows with has a really nice 69 GTO. He had it insured with the same company he had for his daily drivers. He managed to have an accident at a car show and found out he had $1000 deductible. I got him to switch to my agent and I think his premiums were less but don't quote me. At any rate, there is no deductible with Grundy. I definitely don't recommend any Farm Bureaus for these cars. I had one with the local agent then switched to Grundy. The Bureau wanted to cover it for what I paid for the car. Think about that - it might result in the car being easily totaled.

do not !! , repeat, do not !! go with the big ripoff companies like geico, state farm, allstate... as mentioned, shop hagery,grundy,condon-skelly, etc. for specialty policies

I have had Hagerty for many years. They are not the cheapest. I have shopped around for better rates a few times. One thing to be aware of is that some classic insurers put restrictions on your use of your cars. For example, one company told me that I had to agree to keep my car in a locked garage at night. That means that if my car were stolen from a hotel parking lot at the Mopar Nationals, there would be no coverage. Another company told me that I could not use my classic for "daily computer use". I asked if that meant that I could not drive my car to work on a nice day. The agent gave me some vague "non-answer" which I took to mean that if I did drive the car to work and there were an incident that they would fight me tooth and nail not to pay. Hagerty does not put any of these restriction on the use of your car. One thing that I do not like about Hagerty is that any of my kids who live with with me are not covered. My youngest will be driving soon and wants to learn to drive the old, (stick shift) car. So I will have to figure something out when he finally does learn to drive. Just something to consider.

I insure with American Modern thru Midwest Classics Insurance for agreed value. My agent Robbin Terry who’s in the car hobby. Rates are very reasonable. No claim history other than a flatbed tow twice about 8 yrs ago.
http://www.midwestclassicins.com/

one of my cars is an old Corvette. I’ve heard great comments about the National Corvette Museum Insurance group and especially their agent. Their insurance coverage is also by Modern and they will cover any Classic, vintage car, not just Corvettes.

Never owned a classic car before last year. Wanted to get the 69 Satellite insured right away and my current company was happy to put it on my policy. Then i got to thinking about an hour later how much i would receive if something happened to the 69. Called them back and they could not or would not tell me a thing about compensation value. They said that would be determined after the fact! I can just imagine they'd say something like "it's a 50 year old car and worth $1200 bucks". Finally got a girl on the line from my current insurer and she told me to use a company like Hagerty where you can insure at a specific value and that's what i did.

Don't go by who is the cheapest for your coverage. Go by who is going to insure you for the agreed value and is going to be taking care of your car when feces hits the fan due to damage being done courtesy of a wreck/storm/fire etc.

For those here that are using the main insurance companies in place of say Hagerty or Grundy, here is some very real advise. Stay away from all the direct line companies especially Geico or State Farm, etc. What you are missing as these types of carriers do not actually insure you but broker the business out else where. You may think that the likes o say Geico have your back, but they in actuality do not as the insurance value actually comes from the companies that do write the policy. This results the low ball numbers for agreed/stated value one is seeking as was mentioned above. If anyone wants insurance for their collector cars, then go with the companies that specialize in that type of insurance. I cannot stress this enough. Stay away from the direct line insurance companies...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

I have had Hagerty for over 15 years. Back when I bought my first classic they were the only one to write an agreed value policy on it. It is a 1990 Mustang convertible, the limited edition for that year. Grundy would not quote it. Hagerty did exclude my oldest daughter from driving it due to her driving record. She is still excluded by the policy.

American Modern actually underwrites most classic car insurance in the US although the front company may go by another name. Some, like Haggerty and Grundy may be totally in-house. American Collectors is underwritten by someone else but I dropped them some years ago as they could not meet my needs.

Hagerty did exclude my oldest daughter from driving it due to her driving record. She is still excluded by the policy.

Glad to see that insurance companies have figured out there are ALOT of BAD women drivers on the road....

Auto Transport Service
Back