• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake Gaskets on Low Deck B Engine

Mike Z

Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
Installing New Edelbrock Perormer RPM Intake On The Charger. Low Deck B Engine With Cast Heads.
I got the Fel Pro Tray And Gaskets With The Heat Block Offs.
With The Gaskets In I Can't Start The Bolts Like It's Not Down Enough.
Possibly Why Most Don't Use Gaskets Only Gasket Maker Right?
Intake Just Wont Center On The Tray.
Should I try To Mod The Tray A Little Or Just Use Gasket Maker.
Thanks In Advance.
Mike Z.

I'm not surprised. Just use the valley pan with some sealer around the ports.

I always used the Purple (sealer) stuff with the brush applicator for steel valley pans.....
I think permatex makes it...

What Meep-Meep said

This is what i use for a sealer
F14588306.jpg

I also put some in the seams between the block and the heads.

sounds like you had a little machining on the heads and or block.make sure the pan dosnt block any of the port when bolted into place.

I used both paper gaskets with permatex high tack(purple stuff) and the pan gasket with a Weiand intake,didnt have any problems,bolts went right in.i set the paper on the heads with the high tack so they didnt move,put the pan in and put the other paper on the back of the manifold.only used silicone on the front and back oil seals.

Copper Coat also works great in the application of sealing shim type gaskets. I've never had a failure with it.

Pretty Much I'm Not The Only One Thats Run Into This.
Thanks All.
Mike Z.

One more for failure getting the bolts in with the pan gasketed on both sides-this on an iron intake. Did work with one however. I believe if you can fit it in, it should be there, as that means there's enough of a mismatch to cause vacuum leaks (it appeared the intake was pulling some oil from the lifter valley with just the pan). I recall reading on the FelPro site the combo was created especially for aluminum intakes.

Don't forget too, also coat the intake bolts with a high temp silicone to keep oil from migrating up the bolts and seeping onto the intake.

Thanks Guys,
Puting it on Tonight.
Mike Z.

Had the same problem on my 451, with alum intake. So Used the paper ones on the bottom just to make sure there was no oil seeping in from the lifter valley. Then on top I just put black silicone around the ports, and it has been sealing fine! Bolts were a little snug fitting, as I had also cut the heads by .010" on combustion chamber side only. On a 440 with alum intake I used only the metal valley pan gasket with an alum intake and silicone. And every time I ran it a little hard, I would notice oil on the valley pan! So if you use the paper ones at all, use em on the bottom only. C Ya

Auto Transport Service
Back