• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake installation...troubles

Chinquipin

Local time
10:06 AM
Reaction score
I have a 383 that the heads have not been milled on. I tried to install a new torker 383 intake manifold with no luck. At first I had a gasket between valley pan and block, gasket between valley pan and intake. I could not get the intake bolted on! I currently have the intake bolted on the engine, but I had to remove the gasket from between intake and valley pan. So currently I have A gasket between valley pan and block, but no gasket between intake and valley pan. Will it leak with this configuration? I know, I’m a idiot! Lol! I have read of people using valley pan with no gaskets at all, that’s the only reason I’m considering it. Thanks for reading this mess!

On an RB the valley pan is the gasket, I think it is the same on a B engine.

I have read that several places for a B as well. I have also read use the gaskets..... the manual I have is showing gaskets along with the valley pan. The valley pan came with gaskets so I decided to use them. This is the first mopar I’ve messed with. I’m thinking at this point it might be “ok”, but wanted the opinion of someone more experienced.

I have read that several places for a B as well. I have also read use the gaskets..... the manual I have is showing gaskets along with the valley pan. The valley pan came with gaskets so I decided to use them. This is the first mopar I’ve messed with. I’m thinking at this point it might be “ok”, but wanted the opinion of someone more experienced.

Do not use the gaskets. Put RTV directly on the steel valley pan (both sides).

No gasket is required. A thin layer of rtv black around each port and across the front. Put a dab in the corners where the sides tip upwards.if the heads weren't milled the holes should line up. I dry fit first.
They also make one with the crossover passage blocked.

Years ago we tried the bathtub pan with gaskets on both sides and had a very hard time. Some kits offered the paper gaskets in different thicknesses. I would get some Copper spray a gasket and coat the port areas. The front and rear rails just use RTV sealant. I also put a light coat of RTV between the valley corners and the intake bolt hole.

I've only used the valley pan with no gaskets and Gasgacinch around the ports and front and rear. Never had any issues.

Valley pan only. No gasket, rtv around ports, front and back and at corners. ruffcut

I appreciate all the replies. I dry fit the intake and it fit ok. Fit ok with just the valley pan. Was hard to get on with one set of gaskets and valley pan, impossible with both sets of gaskets and valley pan. I guess I will order a new valley pan and start over.

While I’m asking stupid questions, the current valley pan I have doesn’t completely block the crossover passage (see pic). Is that a issue?

8CA92708-0F1A-4002-B04D-2E8145096177.jpeg

I like to use paper gaskets with an aluminum intake. Put them on the intake side only.

I appreciate all the replies. I dry fit the intake and it fit ok. Fit ok with just the valley pan. Was hard to get on with one set of gaskets and valley pan, impossible with both sets of gaskets and valley pan. I guess I will order a new valley pan and start over.

While I’m asking stupid questions, the current valley pan I have doesn’t completely block the crossover passage (see pic). Is that a issue?

View attachment 1090876
That is fine. The stock intake does not cover that area either.

Oh, I've been down this road before...... Forget about the paper gaskets. Some kits do come with 4 paper gaskets, but they've never fit on any motor I've run. From "what I understand", they were originally used on aluminum 440 six pack engines, so I must "assume" the intakes were milled a little more than the cast iron ones. R413 said he can fit one paper gasket in (like you've got). They won't "hurt", but in my experience they don't fit and aren't needed.

FelPro steel intake gaskets used to come with a little tube of blue gasket cement and a brush to apply it with. Never had a leak using the supplied material. I do add RTV in the 4 corners under the gasket/valley pan.
Mike

FelPro steel intake gaskets used to come with a little tube of blue gasket cement and a brush to apply it with. Never had a leak using the supplied material. I do add RTV in the 4 corners under the gasket/valley pan.
Mike

When the heck did these paper intake gaskets even appear and why? I don't remember them "back in the day" and don't recall that the Felpro valley pan ever came with them. Of course I have not installed a stock valley pan for maybe 10 years.....

Fel-Pro 1214 has the exhaust crossover blocked and fits the "B" engine 361-383-400
Fel-Pro 1215 has the exhaust crossover blocked and fits the "RB" engine 413-426W-440

I appreciate you guys being so helpful. I used Fel-Pro 1214. At this point I believe I will just go ahead and order another one and redo it. I’d rather do it now than risk having to do it after I put it in the car. I’m hoping to get this thing moving under it’s own power for the first time since 1991!

The raised bead around each port does the sealing
so add a little RTV and no gaskets

When the heck did these paper intake gaskets even appear and why? I don't remember them "back in the day" and don't recall that the Felpro valley pan ever came with them. Of course I have not installed a stock valley pan for maybe 10 years.....
1980's? Just a guess, never tried using them myself.

Auto Transport Service
Back