• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake installation...troubles

No gaskets, just valley pan. Indian head on both sides of pan at mating surfaces.

I appreciate all the replies. I dry fit the intake and it fit ok. Fit ok with just the valley pan. Was hard to get on with one set of gaskets and valley pan, impossible with both sets of gaskets and valley pan. I guess I will order a new valley pan and start over.

While I’m asking stupid questions, the current valley pan I have doesn’t completely block the crossover passage (see pic). Is that a issue?

View attachment 1090876
Which intake are you running?

So what was the final consensus here? Both paper gaskets, one paper gasket, or no gasket? My car is sucking oil on the right bank and has no paper gaskets. Edlebrock aluminum intake. I ordered this for delivery tomorrow

Fel-Pro High Performance Rectangle Port Composite Intake Manifold Gask (oreillyauto.com)

intake6and8.jpg intakeoily.jpg intake2and4.jpg

How thick is the cross over shim? That will affect sealing.
Mike

The valley pan already has the blockoff stamped into it, there is no shim. Use pan only. Use Indian head. Seal the intake bolts also. No leaks.

I think the paper gaskets came into play when Chrysler introduced the Six Pack with an Edelbrock aluminium intake. Aluminum and metal do not play well together (electrolosis), so the paper gaskets would act as an insulator between the metal valley pan and the intake manifold. No gasket under the valley pan. Max Wedge cars may have had a different paper gasket for bigger ports.

I've always used just the valley pan. The factory intended it that way. Never found a paper gasket under a factory installed manifold.

Now when building my latest 440 I used an older two four bll cast iron manifold. After running the engine for around 500 miles I noticed a spot/stain under the manifold, on the valley pan. I cleaned it off and drove it again. The stain reappeared. It was actually gas leaking when the rear carb was dripping internally after shutdown. (Had a higher than wanted fuel pressure issue)

So I'm thinking the manifold/head mating surfaces may not be perfectly square. I pulled the manifold, cleaned everything up and set the manifold onto the heads without any gasket or valley pan. The manifold had no gap at the top but did have a slight gap under it at the bottom edge. Not a perfect fit so I used one paper gasket between the manifold and valley pan. Haven't seen any stain since. (I did fix the fuel pressure problem)

You need to check the fitment of the manifold dry and without any gasket/valley pan first just to be sure. Useing 50 year old parts you never know. Maybe the heads were resurfaced, maybe the block was at one time. Maybe the aftermarket heads or manifolds aren't perfect. This is why they're throwing in the paper gaskets.

I use Indian Head around the ports and Ultra Black in the corners and on the front and back rails. Permatex #2 on the bolt threads to keep any oil from wicking up.

So I was watching a replay of Nick's Garage Friday night live. He was discussing the 'fact' that with an aluminum intake you 'must' use paper gaskets. Thinking about this I believe Nick has made that statement before.
Glad the valley pan only works for you guys. I decided to follow the Edlebrock Performer intake instructions which is a paper gasket on the head plus valley pan. It's back together, but need time to start it up and check out what I've got.

See Item 3 below in the intake installation instructions.
upload_2022-1-10_10-31-31.png

I've always used just the valley pan. The factory intended it that way. Never found a paper gasket under a factory installed manifold.

Now when building my latest 440 I used an older two four bll cast iron manifold. After running the engine for around 500 miles I noticed a spot/stain under the manifold, on the valley pan. I cleaned it off and drove it again. The stain reappeared. It was actually gas leaking when the rear carb was dripping internally after shutdown. (Had a higher than wanted fuel pressure issue)

So I'm thinking the manifold/head mating surfaces may not be perfectly square. I pulled the manifold, cleaned everything up and set the manifold onto the heads without any gasket or valley pan. The manifold had no gap at the top but did have a slight gap under it at the bottom edge. Not a perfect fit so I used one paper gasket between the manifold and valley pan. Haven't seen any stain since. (I did fix the fuel pressure problem)

You need to check the fitment of the manifold dry and without any gasket/valley pan first just to be sure. Useing 50 year old parts you never know. Maybe the heads were resurfaced, maybe the block was at one time. Maybe the aftermarket heads or manifolds aren't perfect. This is why they're throwing in the paper gaskets.

I use Indian Head around the ports and Ultra Black in the corners and on the front and back rails. Permatex #2 on the bolt threads to keep any oil from wicking up.
Great post. Once in a blue moon we used a paper gasket on one side to compensate for uneven tolerances.

Auto Transport Service
Back