• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake Residue Question

Road Grabber

Local time
11:56 PM
Reaction score
I am in the process of some engine changes/tune-up. As I was cleaning the gasket material off the intake gasket surface I looked inside and noticed that there is an oily sticky residue coating the intake runners.

It looks like an oily tarnish. Almost wet but sticky. Not dark. Light brown. It would be difficult to photograph. Not sure you would see it.

Gasket leak?

PCV problem?

Thanks for the intel. I hear “the right stuff “ is good too. Any experience with that product?

Reminds me of the Permatex Gasket Maker which suppose to take 24 hrs to cure before exposure to oil. The Right Stuff is assemble and go. Sure beats that snotty silicone!

I don't use "The Right Stuff" on the ports, it's great for the ends of the manifold but it is not intended for applications were gasoline can come in contact with it... IE Intake Ports..... Here's a link to the Data Sheet... Check page two...

https://441py33rout1ptjxn2lupv31-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/tech_docs/tds/25229.pdf

Or, here's a screen shot... Read the last line...

Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 8.42.19 PM.png

The product I linked in my first post is rated for fuel, I've used it with 100% success for over thirty years...

I have never had to use sealer of any kind around intake ports. If u have to u have some other problem that needs addressing. Kim

Though the years I've seen dozens of big block Mopars that sucked oil into the intake ports... They run fine, they just use a little oil... Three bond solves it... Period... Your welcome to thrown hundreds if not thousands of dollars at a machinist to try to correct it but a stamped steel bathtub isn't the best way to seal an intake.... And yes some folks use paper gaskets & other folks use a valley pan & separate gaskets... Well I use three bond.. Been doing it a very long time & it works... I won't be changing... And I'll continue to recommend it to others... I've never had someone actually try it & come back & tell me it didn't cure their problem...

This goes to show that it can assambled together with good intentions and may or may not work or fixed the right way. That’s what hot rodding is. I have only had 1 intake milled as it was way off when new. And yes I’ve been working on these since the late 70s. Kim

Appreciate all the input. The last time it ran I had 15 for vacuum with a magnum cam. I believe that should be more like 20 so I suspect it had an intake leak after seeing the residue.

I will say, blocks get decked, heads get surfaced. Rarely is the intake side of a head cut. Just because it bolts up does not mean it fits. I take gasket material and bolt the manifold on. Torque to spec and remove. Then check the impressions to see how it really fits. Adjust from there.

I will say, blocks get decked, heads get surfaced. Rarely is the intake side of a head cut. Just because it bolts up does not mean it fits. I take gasket material and bolt the manifold on. Torque to spec and remove. Then check the impressions to see how it really fits. Adjust from there.

That is a very good point. I remember the heads were surfaced but I don’t know if the shop removed material on the intake side when they did that.
I am changing heads and that could resolve the problem.
How would you “adjust” from there? Add gaskets?
Do you use paper intake gasket material for this test?

Mill the intake is the proper way. Kim

No, it isn't.... Milling the intake surface of the heads is the proper way.... When you mill the intake to fit the intake becomes dedicated to those heads... When you mill the intake surface of the heads the heads & intake can be used with every other set of heads & intake....

No, it isn't.... Milling the intake surface of the heads is the proper way.... When you mill the intake to fit the intake becomes dedicated to those heads... When you mill the intake surface of the heads the heads & intake can be used with every other set of heads & intake....
Talk to any machinest and see what they say. Of course we each have our own ways of doing things. Kim

My instinct tells me the engine shop didn't mill the intake surface as well when they milled the head. I know there is a formula for that.

I suspect I have had this problem from the get go. I switched the intake years ago too when I had problems with the original cast intake now that I think about it. This gets back to Kim pointing out there is most likely a bigger reason for the problem.

I was planning to change the heads anyway but I will try to check the fit as suggested above. When I removed the intake there was impression on the gaskets but there was also a wet oil film on the bottom edge. The gasket was easier to remove along the bottom. My guess is that it was not sealing and was drawing up the oil. I can't see why else it would be there.

Using the gasket sealer as suggested seems like added cheap insurance. Can't hurt....

Auto Transport Service
Back