• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake Temp

Andrew

Local time
6:27 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know how hot an intake on a 440 typically gets?

I've been going back and forth on how to protect an intake manifold that I recently polished. I've thought about powder coating or spraying with something like Eastwood Diamond clear coat, but all methods seem to dull the polish a bit.

I was thinking about just keeping it waxed with Carnuba wax. It supposedly melts at 180 degrees.

If it has a heat crossover, it gets plenty hot there and well over 180 but for the most part, big block intakes run cooler than small blocks just because hot oil isn't hitting them from the bottom....

Polished aluminum use your favorite Polish,you need to keep after it or it becomes tarnished.The more ya have,the longer it takes to make it NICE!!

Attachments

• DSC_0912.jpg
    DSC_0912.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1850.jpg
    IMG_1850.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 201
Nice looking....but happened with the alternator?

Hemi-itis, that's all unprotected polished aluminum and you just keep polishing it? I think that's where I'm headed. How often do you have to polish it?

When it's fresh,it's not hard to keep it nice.When I wash the car,some water always gets in the engine compartment.I towel dry the car and always wipe down the inner fenders and the top of the engine.Maybe once a month I'll break out the special sauce and do the wheels,blower & scoop.

Move the alt to the bottom....

Get the small single wire version, put it at the bottom and you'll never see it....

Yeah...everything looks great and then there's this dull looking alternator....

A repaint is on the to do list when the engine goes back in:icon_hang:

Move the alt to the bottom....

Get the small single wire version, put it at the bottom and you'll never see it....

It is a 100 amp 1 wire,when I put it in there wasn't any mopar 1 wire alternators out yet.One of these days a mini with a low mount will be had.You know,when I get done throwin' $$$$$$$$ at everything else:eusa_boohoo:

Attachments

• Assembly20.jpg
    Assembly20.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 195
  • Assembly21.jpg
    Assembly21.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 174
.You know,when I get done throwin' $$$$$$$$ at everything else:eusa_boohoo:
I understand that! Problem with me...er my wife....is that we've thrown so much $$$$ at our kids and the cars get neglected.

Sounds kind of silly but you could always do some crazy paint job on.

I painted a swirl on my alternators pulley and it looks like a fighter plains prop center when spinning.
Even just bright silver would look cool.

Sounds kind of silly but you could always do some crazy paint job on.

I painted a swirl on my alternators pulley and it looks like a fighter plains prop center when spinning.
Even just bright silver would look cool.

That's a cool idea:idea1:I might do that even with a low mount:idea1:!

Auto Transport Service
Back