• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting 727 info - exploding transmissions - John Cope

Great video, I have never had a 727 die luckily, but i have never made over 500hp prolly either :)

I’ve heard they blow up after doing a burnout because something welds itself together. I’ve never rebuilt a TF, but I’m going to learn because the one in my daily is giving up the ghost.

I’ve heard they blow up after doing a burnout because something welds itself together. I’ve never rebuilt a TF, but I’m going to learn because the one in my daily is giving up the ghost.
They are pretty easy to build.. get that book that is out that is step by step.. i will need to build one also once i figure out what engine i am doing.. this is going to take forever at this rate :)

It's a informative video. Billet drum is the single best thing you can do. If you run a stock drum low band apply would be #1 on my list. I have and still do run the chettah style no low band apply valve body. Never an issue. My racecar has a billet drum, aluminum shield, 16 element sprag. The 65 green Plymouth pictured in the video is a friends nephews car. Nasty explosion. Even the converter came out of the car. Common sense in 1st gear is #1. However that won't protect you from a failed drivetrain. I've never failed a sprag myself. But it does occur. That being said a stock valve body applies the low/rev band in manual low.
Doug

Lots of misinformation out there spread by people who have no idea what they are talking about! Everyone will tell you that you need a billet drum and bolt in sprag and that is absolutely not true!

I knew most of this stuff, but John did a very good job of demonstrating just how a Torqueflight works. Plus sharing his experience of his trans explosion. This is likely what lead him into the high performance transmission business. Thanks John.

Lots of misinformation out there spread by people who have no idea what they are talking about! Everyone will tell you that you need a billet drum and bolt in sprag and that is absolutely not true!
Might have been E-Berg. Something about coming out of the burnout box onto dry asphalt. And the drum or something welding itself.

Eh, it’s not that difficult, I build one on the tailgate of a pickup at midnight with a flashlight, and extremely basic tools. Worked fine afterwords.

Auto Transport Service
Back