• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior installation - where did you buy the plastic barrier material and black putty adhesive for your car?

Dean Prevolos

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:18 PM
Reaction score
Looking to buy the plastic barrier material and black putty rope to re-assemble my quarter panels. Any suggestions appreciated.

plastic barrier material and putty.JPG

Roll of clear plastic sheeting from hardware store.
Tube of weatherstrip glue from your local auto store.
Pair of scissors.

Something not permanent that works well.
And you probably have it on hand if you're handy.
I've had to go back in on the patient before.
If the women don't find you handsome, they might as well find you handy.

1715164372813.png

If you are really Cheap, (like I am) go store that sells mattresses. They come in a huge heavy plastic wrapper!!!:thumbsup:

Buy mine from mega parts and 3M Strip caulk from any source.

Potential problems with "any" plastic sheeting, and mattress bags, they not UV resistant and it falls apart over time. Same with duct tape, the adhesive dries out and it falls off. Let's do repairs that will last.

I can hear the comments already, no sun behind door panel, car always in garage. This stuff is made to fail, not to last. Original Chrysler water shields don't fall apart under normal use.

I took door panels off at salvage yards and plastic bits went airborn and all over the area and inside the car, just a big mess. You wouldn't want that in your classic Looking at it it was a brown garbage bag.

@Dean Prevolos look at the door and quarter, at the bottom of each there is a long straight line that 2" of the plastic gets tucked in to. So water doesn't run out the bottom and inside the car.

3M strip caulk works great for this.

I'm guessing garbage bags are made to degrade in landfills?
Seems like I HAVE seen them in pieces.
And they are thinner than what I've used from Lowes Depot over the years.
(That kind of plastic is used in crawl spaces)
While I don't know what car manufacturers would use, someone used a Hefty bag in a car?
I'm also guessing it's just ozone that would cause any problems in dark areas.
If anything did come apart.
All I know for sure is I've used readily available stuff from supply stores for twenty years and every time I pull a panel off the tape and plastic are fine.
And I doubt I'll care in another twenty years.

I'm guessing garbage bags are made to degrade in landfills?
Seems like I HAVE seen them in pieces.
And they are thinner than what I've used from Lowes Depot over the years.
(That kind of plastic is used in crawl spaces)
While I don't know what car manufacturers would use, someone used a Hefty bag in a car?
I'm also guessing it's just ozone that would cause any problems in dark areas.
If anything did come apart.
All I know for sure is I've used readily available stuff from supply stores for twenty years and every time I pull a panel off the tape and plastic are fine.
And I doubt I'll care in another twenty years.
Use the good Chrysler stuff like the previous R413 stated or a good house plastic sheeting.

6 mil vapour barrier and a 4 dollar box of caulk cord / draft seal.
superbirdfullpaintdassembly7 174.jpg
superbirdfullpaintdassembly7 178.jpg
superbirdfullpaintdassembly7 182.jpg
superbirdfullpaintdassembly7 184.jpg
superbirdfullpaintdassembly6 558.jpg

Last edited:
I used automotive dum-dum - like plasticine, but stays pliable and is sticky, so it holds the plastic sheeting.

1715197564588.png

Yes . Don't forget to tuck.
Although I've seen it not done on virgin cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back