• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intermediate shaft removal HELP

cmkryzer

Local time
4:18 PM
Reaction score
I have been trying to remove the intermediate shaft so i can pre oil before i try to start my reman engine. I have watched a few youtube videos, and read a few posts on how its done. I can get it to wiggle a bit but wont come up. I have used the long screw driver , wont come up, i have tried tire iron, it wont come up , i have even got a long bodied vise grips, but cant pop it out. I feel stupid that I even need to post this , but its driving me nuts ! Any ideas to help a guy out ??

I have been trying to remove the intermediate shaft so i can pre oil before i try to start my reman engine. I have watched a few youtube videos, and read a few posts on how its done. I can get it to wiggle a bit but wont come up. I have used the long screw driver , wont come up, i have tried tire iron, it wont come up , i have even got a long bodied vise grips, but cant pop it out. I feel stupid that I even need to post this , but its driving me nuts ! Any ideas to help a guy out ??
What engine? I just use a big screwdriver and slightly lift as turning the screwdriver. It will spiral up as it follows the gears angular cut. Once you get it up a bit a welding rod bent on a 90 can slip under and help lift it out.

What engine? I just use a big screwdriver and slightly lift as turning the screwdriver. It will spiral up as it follows the gears angular cut. Once you get it up a bit a welding rod bent on a 90 can slip under and help lift it out.
440 engine . turning counter clockwise...

Well, I have a old pair of Craftsman ring expander pliers that I've used several times over the years but think I'm the only one with a pair lol. They suck for rings but work pretty decent for pulling out the intermediate shaft. They are P 4735 if you can find some on Ebay......

Sometimes oil gets in there and hydraulically holds it from coming up. They can be a problem. Yes turn it with a large screwdriver and it will climb the gear, then it lift up when it’s off the cam gear.

Screwdriver and a piece of coat hanger. Turn it with the screwdriver in the slot and hook under it with the coat hanger. Also note that when you reinstall it there is a procedure - you can't just drop it in any ol' place !!

I use two screwdrivers. Insert both blades into the slot, then squeeze the handles together, lift and turn at the same time. Unless it's a high mileage motor with a ton of varnish, this never fails (at least for me it hasn't).

I love my long compound-joint needle nose pliers for that job.
Grab the gear, twist and slide it out.
sdjdsjds.jpg

This has worked for me in the past. YMMV. The zip tie added some hold tension for this one ................
upload_2021-6-28_12-28-45.png

Is the motor in the car or on a stand?

This has worked for me in the past. YMMV. The zip tie added some hold tension for this one ................
View attachment 1130887
That is a great tool! Thanks for sharing.

Every spring I remove this shaft and prime the oil pump with a drill. I don’t believe in cranking the starter with coil wore off to get oil pressure is helping save wear on the engine at all.

Hopefully yours comes out and isn't stuck in there.
I note it is on a remanufactured engine - the bone head engine builder tapped mine in because it was so tight in the bushing. You could see the marks on the top of the gear where it had been knocked in. I couldn't get it out and was wondering why, so I took it to a trusted mechanic for advice. It took him a few hours with a modified slide hammer to get it out. The shaft had a few thousandths taken off and all was fine, but if I hadn't removed it to prime the engine, trying to start the engine would have resulted in catastrophe.
Just make sure it's turning freely is all I'm saying - the fact it's moving a bit is a good sign.
20180429_100644.jpg

When the bushing is replaced it need to be burnished to size.

Auto Transport Service
Back