• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a 440/361 swap in a '65 Satellite an easy thing?

61-63

Local time
5:53 AM
Reaction score
I am considering buying a '65 Satellite 361 auto trans car and have access to s good running 440 engine. Is this an easy swap or are there problems mating the trans or other issues I need to be aware of? I've swapped engines and converted autos to 4 speeds, etc. in Pontiacs but never in a Mopar.

I am considering buying a '65 Satellite 361 auto trans car and have access to s good running 440 engine. Is this an easy swap or are there problems mating the trans or other issues I need to be aware of? I've swapped engines and converted autos to 4 speeds, etc. in Pontiacs but never in a Mopar.
The 361 is a B (low deck) big block and the 440 is an RB (raised or high deck) big block. There's a few things that are different but the major stuff is the same.....

I have a customer with a 65 satellite that originally was a 361. It now runs a 440 mated to the original trans 727 cable trans. So no issue with that. We just removed the restrictive exhaust manifolds and bought a set of Hedman headers that really fit much better than the manifolds with a mini starter. So its doable.

The 65 trans work fine. The converter spline is different so current converters won't fit. However the conversion to a late input shaft and pump is very simple. I run a 65 based 727 in my racecar.
Doug

Pretty much a bolt in. Some later model engines have a water pump housing with the lower hose on the other side of where yours will be. But the 361 housing will swap right over if needed. Also, the early (62 to 65) oil pans and pickups have the sump in a different place than the later engines. But your oil pan should swap over as well. Another issue may be with the accelerator and kickdown bracket and linkage for the early B body. The brackets are different between a 2 bbl carb and a 4 bbl carb in the early b bodies. I had to modify one from an Imperial when I put the 4 bbl on my 361 in my 64 Fury.

What year is the 440? If it's, I think, 72 or later, it will be externally balanced and possibly the crank pulley has a different bolt pattern[ easy fix]. If external balance, you need to either get a weighted convertor or a flex plate that gets you around that.

basically as long as you have '65 motor mounts and brackets the engine will bolt in.

Easy swap, except for probably the exhaust, because of the taller deck height of the rear block. Otherwise, small details, as stated above.

Make sure both are either internally or externally balanced, or get the appropriate converter.

Is a 318/440 swap also a doable thing in a '65 Plymouth b body? It occurred to me if I don't get this 361 car for some reason I might be able to find a driver 318 car and do a swap with it. Is the trans in a 318 strong enough and the rear end strong enough for a 440? Will the trans bolt up? Again being a Pontiac guy I know the trans and rear end in a full size Pontiac of that era is the same whether the engine is the low economy hp 2 bbl 389 or the dual quad 421 Super Duty, but some makes aren't like that.

;

A engine trans (318 poly) is different than B/RB trans (361/383/440)

Axle should be a 8 3/4 either way until late '67-ish.

K frame is the same SB or BB until 68 IIRC.

Is a 318/440 swap also a doable thing in a '65 Plymouth b body? It occurred to me if I don't get this 361 car for some reason I might be able to find a driver 318 car and do a swap with it. Is the trans in a 318 strong enough and the rear end strong enough for a 440? Will the trans bolt up? Again being a Pontiac guy I know the trans and rear end in a full size Pontiac of that era is the same whether the engine is the low economy hp 2 bbl 389 or the dual quad 421 Super Duty, but some makes aren't like that.

;
Small block to big block....never worked with a 65 but I understand the K frame is different. Under hood wiring harness is different but can be made to work and like mentioned, the transmissions do not interchange. I do know that the 66-70 V8 K frames will accept each engine with the correct motor mount brackets. Exhaust mans do not interchange either.....
A engine trans (318 poly) is different than B/RB trans (361/383/440)

Axle should be a 8 3/4 either way until late '67-ish.

K frame is the same SB or BB until 68 IIRC.
K's will accept each family of engines (no on /6 and Hemi) from 66-70 and iirc, some 71's but don't know which 71 cars.

Wasn't sure when it changed- either 68 or 71.

Thanks.

Wasn't sure when it changed- either 68 or 71.

Thanks.
I'm not sure either about when things changed in the very early 70's either but do know that they were the same in 70. The 70-74 E-bodies were the same too but have heard some say that the angle of the steering box is a bit different with the E cars. I have a 70 E body K in my 66 Belvedere and the box connected to it just fine and the angle also looks good.

Well I didn't get the car. I will get a '64 or '65 B body at some point I would really like to have one of those year cross ram cars.

Thanks for all of the replies I now know more than I did a couple of weeks ago.

Auto Transport Service
Back