• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it Worth rebuilding a Failed Engine

LR1970

Local time
6:23 AM
Reaction score
I know a guy with a 400-512 Stroker, one of the Stealth heads valve broke and blew the engine. Engine was only 2500 miles old. He was cruising at 60mph when it happened. He said the piston and the head was damaged the most. Bent a pushrod, damaged a roller lifter and scoured the bore. He said an engine shop checked out the rods, crank, roller cam, roller lifters, pushrods and said they were all OK. He is selling the engine because he doesn't have time to wait for his engine builder to build his engine again and is putting a crate motor is his car.

Is it worth buying this engine and trying to rebuild it, new block/re-sleeve and replace piston, pushrod, roller lifter.

I have a set of new Edelbrock RPM heads I can use instead of the Stealth heads. It was a high dollar engine built by a famous engine builder here in Australia. I have not viewed the parts yet.

Should I avoid it?

Everything is fixable till it isn't, if its cheap, CHEAP it's worth taking a risk. I have rebuilt a couple that were blown up but we have one 500ci stroker that has been fixed 3 times and no matter what it spins another bearing.

I had a similar experience many years ago. re-sleeving a block is cheaper than fully machining a different block. I was running TRW pistons back then and the hardest thing we had to deal with was finding a new TRW forged piston heavy enough to balance down to match the other remaining 7. Make sure your eddy heads have the same cc chambers, that could be the deal breaker....

If it's only that one cylinder, and you can get that engine for a decent buck, why not ? As mentioned, know what CC volume you have compared to the prior on your heads.

I guess it all comes down to the price you can get it for, and how much of it you can do yourself... All that stuff can be fixed, or replaced. Sleeve the block, buy a piston, buy a lifter and pushrod, weld the head, re assemble it all with new bearings and gaskets and you will have a good street motor. You have to get it cheap to make it worth it. The machine shop will be the biggest expense, sleeving and working on the welded head. Sounds like a good $500 motor to me.

I think I would leave it alone. Not a fan of blown up damaged blocks.
Sometimes it is hard to find/expensive to find 1 part rather than a set.

I didn't realize that you were in another country. I dont know how hard it is to find Mopar stuff over there. If all you need is one piston, 1 lifter and 1 pushrod, maybe you could have them shipped in.

I would buy it in a heartbeat if the price is right.

Thanks for the advice. This is the engine, it comes with a rebuilt 727, another 400-451 stroker in pieces, almost new E Body headers, 850 Demon Carb, bunch of other parts, and everything is ceramic coated. To ship parts over ends up costing alot, so I think it's worth it to buy a package like this and take the chance. I have a 383-496 I could build using the parts. A 440 Scource stroker kit landed here is like 3750USD. To buy a 440 and 727 rebuilder here cost 2000USD. This guy wants 4500USD for the lot.

512.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds not bad.
How does the 383 come into play? You'll need pistons?

Anyway, thanks for everyone's, advice and comments.

Auto Transport Service
Back