• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the consensus---99,2000, Dakota v-6, or v-8 starter?

Used to go to the bone yards a lot mainly looking for 8 3/4 stuff. A buddy found a 360 that was newly rebuilt with forged pistons. The car even looked pretty good. Someone's parents or soon to be X probably called someone to haul it off for cheaper than scrap price. Lots of times someone will try to fix up something and one of the first things they replace is the starter if the engine won't turn over. They just assume the starter is bad and stick one in. The prices here for the pick and pulls were much cheaper than buying from the local auto parts places but the one on my Dakota was one of those life time warranty jobs from an auto parts and it's over 15 years old now. Didn't have one on the shelf and didn't have the time to go hunting for one at a wrecking yard but there's a spare on the shelf now that's been there for around 14 years lol. So long as it's there, the one on the truck won't ever go bad :D

I wanna thank everybodys input on this subject....once i decide which route to take, used Dakota, or new mini starter....it will be time to start on the headers install......just have to figure out next if it can be done in my garage, with jack stands and a floor jack!
Wonderful, informative forum this is!

I bought one off ebay, mini starter, and it lasted a week. I tried to get in touch with seller and it didn't happen. I bought a new one from Rock auto and have been happy with it a year later. Ebay was about $55 and Rock Auto $75. At least I can get in touch with Rock auto.

My Dakota starter came from the local Advance Auto. Cheap and.....lifetime warranty, don't ya know. :)
Whips the 440 over like it's nothing.
It ever goes bad, go get another one gratis. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back