• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the inside roof brace supposed to be tight agaist the roof?

Myasylum

Local time
3:20 PM
Reaction score
I am about to do the interior of my car, I want to sand the roof and put in a new headliner. However it seems the roof brace isn't attached to the roof and appears to be bent down a 1 1/2 or so. Is that going to be a problem when installing headliner??

Also... this is going to be a lot of sanding! What is the best method of doing this? I have an angle grinder with this green pad that is supposed to remove paint and rust, but that is going to take a long time.

Thanks for the help!
These are the best pictures I could get.

20240412_163155.jpg

20240412_163001.jpg

Damn 70's. How do I fix this? Or will the headliner be fine to cover it?

Car was repainted too. No one noticed this I guess.

Use a rust converter product to stop the rust, then seal it . No need to sand all the rust off, you're going to cover it all up anyway.
Mike

The roof could have been repaired correctly, we don't know from here. Many time the center pops back out and leaves half moon creases on the edges.

My roof popped back.. now if the old GF got up there today at 300+ it would tell a different tale...
beeroof.jpg

So back to the original question... should the skin be tight against the braces?
my question is ..should there be some type of dampening material between the two?
kinda like the bracing under the hood skin... if so, what would you guys recommend?...Rich

My roof itself is fine, no dents, no bondo..

Does that nave have to be flat along the roof for the headliner to fit in place?

So back to the original question... should the skin be tight against the braces?
my question is ..should there be some type of dampening material between the two?
kinda like the bracing under the hood skin... if so, what would you guys recommend?...Rich
Anyone on this?

Auto Transport Service
Back