• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a better short fan clutch?

beanhead

May I Land My Kinky Machine
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:00 PM
Reaction score
I'm using the newer Hayden short fan clutch due to a thicker radiator up front... There's resistance there, but I've noticed it's not as much as my Mopar viscous clutch that's sitting on the workbench... That thing's got a significant amount of resistance compared to the Hayden and I don't think I'm spinning the fan with as much torque at lower speeds... Is there a better option for the tight fit(not direct-drive)?

Hayden 2947

Hayden 2947
That's the one I have now. Car hasn't overheated(you know the valley summers!) the air pulling through the front of the radiator (at idle)just seemed a little weak..when I turn the fan by hand there's less resistance than the with longer mopar one I have...maybe it's just my imagination but it seems like it was stronger when I first got it, been on the car about 6 months..

Ok. Mine is just as your describing, but can’t use it due to space....A body big block. You’ll be fine with it.

Man they are hard to diagnose. That resistance is subjective. My new Hayden has not left me down. Thoroughly tested.

I feel the same way and was just thinking about this the other day. So far my car does great while moving, heats up to around 190 at idle in 100 degree heat, but goes right back to 170-180 once I get going again.

I think the exact coolant temp freaks people out, when the factory gauge didnt probably move much from 180-200.

I'm using the newer Hayden short fan clutch due to a thicker radiator up front... There's resistance there, but I've noticed it's not as much as my Mopar viscous clutch that's sitting on the workbench... That thing's got a significant amount of resistance compared to the Hayden and I don't think I'm spinning the fan with as much torque at lower speeds... Is there a better option for the tight fit(not direct-drive)?

Tony's Parts just announced reproduction fan clutches for several part numbers. You can get the part number stamped and date code if you want. Not cheap, not sure of the quality.

I feel the same way and was just thinking about this the other day. So far my car does great while moving, heats up to around 190 at idle in 100 degree heat, but goes right back to 170-180 once I get going again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think the exact coolant temp freaks people out, when the factory gauge didnt probably move much from 180-200.
U don`t have a problem !!

U don`t have a problem !!

Intake Air Temps on the other hand.... yikes!

Usually sits around 140 or so which causes mass pinging at 32 degrees of timing. Once I get moving again, it sits around 100-110 or so. Been working on my tune with the amount of degrees pulled as IAT's go up.

Might be time to convince the wife I need that 6 pack hood scoop...

Auto Transport Service
Back