• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this 69 roadrunner worth restoring or is she too far gone.

You have $3K. Keep saving while you look.
... Or sell the Healey, they are sexy, but really aren't that much fun (unless it has a blown Rover V8). I say that as a Spitfire V8 owner, so I like English cars, but they are what they are.

If you are looking to replace cash with labor, you are better off getting another job, even at minimum wage, as that would top your labor on a rust bucket. People here could tell you how many hours you are looking at. Then, how much are the dozen panels needed? $7K? There is your solid Satellite roller. Instead of buying a floor pan for example, put the $1K in a RR account, saving a week's labor and six stitches. That week's labor at minimum wage is another $350 in the RR account.

You could run a WTB ad looking for solid roller from someone who will take payments and store the car until it's paid for. A solid roller is way ahead if you don't care about numbers matching.
After finding a deal you can successfully complete, write a contract, then open a savings account in both of your names with the $3k and Healey proceeds. The account can't be emptied by one without the other. Both have to agree to withdraw money and the contract protects you both.

Helped a friend put floors and inner fender panels in a TR4. It took six months of spare time and cost a small fortune. I helped to gain the experience and seeing that thing flop around when cut apart, made me wonder if it could ever be completed.
Haha it gets mistaken for all kinds of stuff all the time. It’s actually a Datsun Spl212. Only 348 were ever made and only 5 or 6 are left in the world. It has 11000 miles on it and it sat in my great uncles Datsun dealership for 39 years. Family car that I inherited after my dad passed away, not ever getting rid of it! Even though I could buy 3 roadrunners with it.

This right here is the plan. Make it a rat rod and drive it. As long as the frame rails are solid enough to do this. They all don’t need to be restored. And you will attract attention with having it out and about. It might lead to a better car in the future.
This is the kind of motivation I need in life!

Practically speaking, you will probably just be wasting your money. If you are even considering this car as a builder, it is a clear indication that you have no idea what you are in for. It will end up costing you x2 $ and x4 in time as compared to saving your pennies longer and buying a more solid starter.

That said, dreams are dreams. If you just gotta have a Roadrunner in your yard to to feed them, then do it. Almost any rot box can be put back on the road.

i would restore it i had to replace both front frame rails and the torsion bar crossmember on my road runner now that it’s done i don’t regret it all most ready for paint

Graft what is left onto a Crown Vic and call it a RestoMod.

Could use CV Vin to get around no title.

I think only a fool would restore that car. And the seller is hoping that such a fool exists. I'd bet he'd jump at any offer of $500..

But let's just say someone is stupid enough to buy that with the intent of restoring it. The smart move would be to trailer it US Cartool and have them do their "body in white" deal on it which they used to advertise for $15k (good luck with that!). But I also just did an estimate on "The installation center" site and the total for parts and labor was just over $32k. And in neither case have interior, bodywork and paint or drivetrain been addressed.

So let some other fool buy it 'cause by the time you're done you could have bought TWO well restored cars for what you'd have in this.

Keep in mind that some folks love to spend other people's money. Take those "buy it" opinions very lightly!

Lol
Take a second job, rather than buy a rust box. If your married your wife needs to understand that second job is car money. Before I got married told not getting married to sell anything getting married to accumulated more.
lol @ ppl telling me to get a second job. I appreciate the advise. Not hurting for money by any means. I’ve done well for myself. Right now a lot of money is going towards my 66 charger. Also, 45% of my income is going towards 15 year mortgage and retirement. Plus if I get a second job, who is gonna work on my cars? My wife ?

Re: Road Runner in the original post - to quote the late great Hawk Harrelson:
he gone.jpg

Forget that noise about turning it into some sort of rat rod. That shiyat is old and
busted anyways - not that it was ever a desirable "movement" to begin with, least
with me.
Money comes hard for me, always has - so I want the time and expense to show
in my car. It comes at a literal physical price for me, not to be wasted on nonsense.

I would slap it together with whatever I could find and drive it as is. I found my 70 Roached Runner. It was given to me for free after it was parted out and headed for the scrap yard. I slapped it together as is with whatever used parts I could get. It is now a super sleeper. Built +.060 383. Headers, 2 stage 125/250 NOS plate, built trans with shift kit ,10" 3200 converter, 4:88 gears with spool, widened steelies with 275 drag radials.

20210530_143335.jpg 20210530_123505.jpg 20210530_123448.jpg 20210805_201646.jpg 20210717_154514.jpg

Lots of great ideas about a low rent rat rod, and it might do the job. But the title of the thread asks if it's worth restoring, and to that question I'd say no.

I'd do her! Her rear end is worth 2k and the 727 trans, who knows but she can be ridden eventually, she might not be pretty but shes complete for the most part.
If I soak the 383 in PB blaster for 3 years you think I can get her going?

I don't know what age bracket you are in, but old cars take time, and money. So if it were me, I would run away, quickly. I would run to the local credit union and borrow 20k or so at 3% and buy a done car, then go to the local hangout and spend your time having a beer or whatever. You have only so much time on earth to enjoy the car, don't spend it all beating your brains out trying to find parts, welders, mechanics, painters, etc etc. make a payment every month and be happy you you can enjoy the car. When you pass on your family can sell it to another lucky guy to enjoy it.

if you borrow $25,000 for 5 years at 4% you would have to dig up $460 bucks every month.
But How much would you have to dig up every month to rebuild a wreck?
THis is my point of view,,,

I would slap it together with whatever I could find and drive it as is. I found my 70 Roached Runner. It was given to me for free after it was parted out and headed for the scrap yard. I slapped it together as is with whatever used parts I could get. It is now a super sleeper. Built +.060 383. Headers, 2 stage 125/250 NOS plate, built trans with shift kit ,10" 3200 converter, 4:88 gears with spool, widened steelies with 275 drag radials.

View attachment 1232080 View attachment 1232081 View attachment 1232082 View attachment 1232083 View attachment 1232084

And your "Free" RR looks ten times better than what the OP posted.

Someone needs to put that RR out of it's misery.

I don't know what age bracket you are in, but old cars take time, and money. So if it were me, I would run away, quickly. I would run to the local credit union and borrow 20k or so at 3% and buy a done car, then go to the local hangout and spend your time having a beer or whatever. You have only so much time on earth to enjoy the car, don't spend it all beating your brains out trying to find parts, welders, mechanics, painters, etc etc. make a payment every month and be happy you you can enjoy the car. When you pass on your family can sell it to another lucky guy to enjoy it.

if you borrow $25,000 for 5 years at 4% you would have to dig up $460 bucks every month.
But How much would you have to dig up every month to rebuild a wreck?
THis is my point of view,,,
What kind of satisfaction comes from that.

Auto Transport Service
Back