• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a Mopar part?

Dutchrebuild

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:49 AM
Reaction score
Going thru a stash of stuff and came across these wrapped up in a Mopar bag... anyone recognize these? They are steel with a rubbery coat on them

IMG_20231207_124708934.jpg

IMG_20231207_124721039.jpg

IMG_20231207_124742302.jpg

IMG_20231207_124751306.jpg

They are for a Hemi, dual spark plugs. Insert into a thin aluminum valve cover for the same. Gen ll Hemi.

Boy that's cool...never would have guessed...don't get to play with enough hemis! Next question would be what is the proper term for them? Is there a Mopar part number for them? I don't see anything in my old 1995 Mopar performance catalog

Well, I haven't seen them since around '72. I raced with Lee Smith for a year or so, CRAZEE CUDA. He had a aluminum set of dual spark plug heads on his Hemi, with a very thin stamped set of aluminum valve covers on it. The holes for the spark plugs were elongated, just like your part, that part sat down into into a slightly depressed area, and the spark plug tubes went through them. That why they have a thin rubber coating on them. As I remember, they or the valve cover didn't seal the best, but got the job done.
I may be wrong, but think that Lee was responsible for starting the hemi dual plug thing. He had his own home made dual plug dist. Lee's prostock car was sponsored by Chrysler. The head had another hole machined in beside the orginal spark plug hole and another spark plug insert was tig welded in. I do not have a picture of the set up. The ones that I do have, are of the single plug set up, with DuCoil distributor. The hood on the Cuda had a round bump or relief in it for the second head on the distributor.
Here's a picture of the car, second picture is at the Cordova dragstrip in Illinois, that's me standing. If you look closely, just below the left edge of the scoop, you can see the aluminum bulge for the distributor head.
Someone else here may confirm this part. Maybe up with the racers. Would be nice if you could find a pair of the valve covers that they were used in. Someone out there has them.

20230128_095026.jpg

20231208_110013.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back