• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Comp Cams Camshaft wiped-out?

roadrunnerh

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:07 AM
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

This is the camshaft in my 383 from my Scamp. (Comp Cams 21-222-4 262/270, Lift .462/.470 purchased in 2019)
I completed break-in 20 min 2,000 RPM, correct oil, Zinc, etc.
I'm in the process of getting this car moving again (long story). I saw an UTG video in which he stated that if the cam lobe nose center line is worn all the way across, it's toast - After break in and running for only 30 min total.
I've read about cam issues @Kern Dog and others.

What say you?
InkedCam after breakin 1.jpg
InkedCam after breakin 2.jpg
InkedCam after breakin 3.jpg

Look at the bottom of all lifters to see if they're spinning

Use a dial indicator & compare the lift from that lobe to the rest of them....

I am honored to have been mentioned here but I am FAR from an authority on this one. If you have the intake and carb off, I agree with 1 Wild R/T....Measuring that lobe is a smart move. That and looking at the bottom of the lifter from that lobe.

When checking the lifters, stand the
lifter up on a piece of flat glass. Check
the lifter to see if it rocks side to side
slightly. If it doesn't rock, it won't spin
on the cam lobe.

Didn't you have a cam issue in your 383? I've been reading of camshaft failures.
Wow...great memory! That was 2020.
I bought a Comp Cam that wasn't properly machined....

Comp 1.JPG

Comp 2.JPG

Comp 3.JPG

Look close, you can see cloth stuck to the edges of a few lobes. I tried wiping off the cam with a towel and sharp, unfinished edges of the lobes tore cloth from the towel.

Actually it was the 493 in Ginger...
That one too!

The Comp Cam in the 383 in Jigsaw was new.
The '528 failure in Ginger was a seasoned cam that was fine until I had the brilliant idea of changing to a synthetic oil that (unbeknownst to me) had HIGH detergent. That detergent wiped off the ZDDP as fast as it splashed onto everything, making any zddp essentially worthless.

That’s where mixing in zddp bit you. Buy oil with the zinc already in it and this doesn’t happen.

That’s where mixing in zddp bit you. Buy oil with the zinc already in it and this doesn’t happen.
Uhhh...

37 R.JPG

39 R.JPG

The oil claimed to have the ZDDP in it but also was high detergent. It was like rain on a windshield with the wipers going full speed....ZDDP splashes on the parts, the detergent stops it from sticking....What S T U P I D assclown came up with this concept??

Thanks for the replies! My concern is that the lifter should not be leaving that much wear on the peak of the lobe, only a small line or mark after only break-in.

I Should quit whilst I’m ahead.

Do not use a synthetic oil for breaking in flat tappets or piston rings. To slippery.

Thanks for the replies! My concern is that the lifter should not be leaving that much wear on the peak of the lobe, only a small line or mark after only break-in.
The amount of wear on the peak of the lobe will vary, and increase with usage.
Pull each of the lifters out 1 by 1, and check for rotation.
The lobe lift measurement will tell you if there's excessive wear or not.

But after 30 min of run time? There should only be a small wear mark on the peak due to the presumably small contact from the lifter "dome". No?

I've looked at a lot of flat tappet cams in engines with miles on them... They always have a wider contact pattern over the nose... Maybe they are all going flat... I'm sure there's some truth to "they are all going flat" but it might take a really long time... Find me a picture of a used flat tappet cam that the contact pattern doesn't change over the nose..

Its the smallest point of contact, with the highest amount of pressure. Yes Its going to spread the contact across the lobe.
Now, back to the important part. ARE THE LIFTERS SPINNING.
I would post vid of pulling a lifter and looking at the bottom, but I think it shouldn't be necessary.

@RemCharger When I turn the crank with a ratchet, no you do not notice any lifters turning. However, I think they are turning running at idle since I think I see wear indicating they're spinning.

Auto Transport Service
Back