• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Comp Cams Camshaft wiped-out?

Old lifters? What about USED lifters from an old engine? Can they be resurfaced ? I have a few of those!
I'm pretty sure that's what he meant. If they were old but unused (and assuming they'd been stored correctly and weren't rusty) they should be good to go.
The machine shop here re-faces them for something like $10/lifter from memory.

Old lifters...means old lifters. Old lifters from an old engine under the bench. Or go to a wrecking yard & get a set from an old engine.

Old lifters...means old lifters. Old lifters from an old engine under the bench. Or go to a wrecking yard & get a set from an old engine.
See, THIS sort of thing is interesting to me. It appeals to my occasional junkyard/Roadkill mentality. Geoff...PLEASE don't take this wrong but....
IF I had more assurances from an actual machinist about this then I'd happily run right out and start pulling lifters from 318s, 400s, any Mopar wedge V8 and stock up on them.
The cost of roller cams and lifters is often a turn off for some.
I have considered a switch for my red car. The cost would be covered by the proceeds from selling parts or a long dormant project car.
I haven't lost all confidence in flat tappet setups but my confidence has been tested and it isn't what it used to be.

Well here's a counterpoint - Gary Pavlovich (poly guru) expressly told me that poly lifters could not be re-faced (which my engine builder here had priced to do).
He supplied a new solid lifter camshaft and lifters from Schneider Racing Cams and I had no issues. I bought a bigger cam (and lifters) from them a few years later, again no issues.
Maybe solid lifters have less issues because they need to be harder? I don't know, but I'm interested as to why he said they couldn't be re-faced.

I see no reason that Poly lifters cannot be refaced. They work on the same principle as any FT cam that uses a tapered lobe/radiused lifter face. The hyd FT lifter is the same hardness as solid FT lifters.

66 Sat.
Send your Poly lifters to Clive Cams in Mellbourne for refacing.

Uhhh...

View attachment 1506592

View attachment 1506594

The oil claimed to have the ZDDP in it but also was high detergent. It was like rain on a windshield with the wipers going full speed....ZDDP splashes on the parts, the detergent stops it from sticking....What S T U P I D assclown came up with this concept??
What oil are you running now? Is this also a problem with the amsoil equivalents?

I run Joe Gibbs "Driven" now.
I cannot take credit for knowing much about the oil. I have listened to those with experience on the matter. A smart engine builder from Vermont clued me in to the weird formula that "Redline" used. He said that any oil with high detergent would reduce or eliminate any advantage that the ZDDP/Zinc provides because it wouldn't allow the ZDDP to stay in place acting as a protectant. He said to look at the API labels on the oil.

40 R.JPG

The SN, SM and SL designations are the HIGHEST detergent levels on the market. If you are using any oil with that, you may be at risk.

If you line them up that way the engine will be on compression stroke for cylinder 6 not cylinder 1.... Which is fine, as long as when you down the distributor in your aware of it...
This ⬆️

I do it this way all the time for gear install then rotate a turn and finish assembly that way to keep my head straight.

Hey Everyone!

This is the camshaft in my 383 from my Scamp. (Comp Cams 21-222-4 262/270, Lift .462/.470 purchased in 2019)
I completed break-in 20 min 2,000 RPM, correct oil, Zinc, etc.
I'm in the process of getting this car moving again (long story). I saw an UTG video in which he stated that if the cam lobe nose center line is worn all the way across, it's toast - After break in and running for only 30 min total.
I've read about cam issues @Kern Dog and others.

What say you?
View attachment 1506538View attachment 1506539View attachment 1506540
Comp Cams are complete JUNK. Get a Lunati cam.

See mine, no idea on what the milage this cam and lifters had done.
You can see that across the tip of the lobe the contact pattern is wide, and everywhere else is narrow and located on 1 side of the lobe only. The lifter on the left is one of the ones in there, the other is a new one.
Seems a little pitting is happening on the center section.
These pictures are from 2-3 years ago and engine still running fine.

To me it seems correct that when the tappet goes over the nose the full width is used to reduce the lbs/sq. inch when it is under maximum tension.

IMG_3531.jpg

IMG_3552.jpg

See mine, no idea on what the milage this cam and lifters had done.
You can see that across the tip of the lobe the contact pattern is wide, and everywhere else is narrow and located on 1 side of the lobe only. The lifter on the left is one of the ones in there, the other is a new one.
Seems a little pitting is happening on the center section.
These pictures are from 2-3 years ago and engine still running fine.

To me it seems correct that when the tappet goes over the nose the full width is used to reduce the lbs/sq. inch when it is under maximum tension.

View attachment 1509095

View attachment 1509096
Zactly

The hydraulic cams going flat is a huge issue. the pictures of your cam look ok. Being your intake is off along with the valve train take a look at your lifters and make sure they have a slight crown too them. Also the cam lover have slight taper to make the lifters spin in the bore. A local jet boat shop has run the mentioned cam brand. they had a cam failure while breaking in an engine on there test stand. They called the cam company. The online tech had ever excuse that it was an improper engine assembly and break-in procedure. Did you run a break in springs? How much lifter to bore clearance is there? Did you run no detergent no synthetic 30 weight oil with our break lube in the oil etc. how the shop was able to get the cam manufacture to warranty the cam was he pulled the cam measured the good lobes and took pictures with a micrometer on the cam showing there was NO taper. a straight edge on the showing there was NO crown on the lifter. I recammed my Road Runner last summer. I found ended up using a Mopar performance cam. Mopar has pretty much discontinued there cams. Mopar still have 4 left of the cam I wanted. They are old stock and still properly ground.

Question do the cam companies use the same machine roller cams and flat tappet cams? Maybe when they switch from roller to Flat they aren't getting it right sometimes?

Auto Transport Service
Back