• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Crazy or am I missing something?

Hemi2Much

Local time
12:31 AM
Reaction score
I was on eBay looking for a set of pushrods and came across an old Sun Tach that someone was asking $1500 for
I was thinking there was no way he'd ever sell a tach for that.
So I did an Advanced eBay search for Tachometers and saw these.
Almost $5,000 for a Tach? What am I missing? Out of curiosity, I did a regular search for Vintage tachs and it blew my mind what some of these tachs are selling for and what some people are asking $$$$ for them.
Here are just a few that have SOLD recently.
What am I missing?
Image (2).jpeg
Image (3).jpeg
Image (4).jpeg

Know we all missed something we all had things that now people are paying stupid money for.

What's scary is that if I came across one at a garage sale, I wouldn't know 40 bucks from 4,000.

Luckily i never liked bolt on aftermarket gauges. Couple grands saved. :D

What you might find with the highest priced one is that the guy meant $700 and somebody with zero feedbacks went ahead and bought it as a joke.

What's truly funny is I've bought and sold NOS tachometers and they don't always work. Just because they're new, there's no guarantee.

I'm a stupid *** for selling my old Sun Super tach for $75 a couple years ago. Oh well!

I wonder if my mid 70's DC SW mechanical tach is now worth $1 million?

To answer the thread question.... no you're not missing anything, some people are bat-**** crazy,,,,,,

I don't have the head unit, but I think I may have the ancient Sun control part, the one that uses the oddball battery that nobody can get anymore....

Last edited:
I have one brand new in the box, I like it as garage art but at those prices :)

I find it hard to believe they bring that kind of money

tach 3 nos.jpg

tach 4 nos.jpg

I bought mine (works great) at Carlisle last year. New in the box dated receipt from 1973.
$25:thumbsup:

That's nonsense - keep in mind, an eBay auction that shows as "won" might be nothing more than
two people who know each other faking a transaction.

I have a certain affinity for the old Sun Super Tach II unit myself (I've had one in most of my hot
rods since the 70's, including in Fred now) and the worst I ever fessed up for a really nice one was $50.

And yet at the same time, there are plenty of these as well:

When you have that vision of that car that you never had in High School and now you have it and all it needs to be finished is that one.......last....part.

Auto Transport Service
Back