• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this the new normal? What could be perceived junk asking at premium prices.

Kindigs builds start at 250k and he has a two year waiting list. Mike Mancini's shop has a three year waiting list as of right now.
It’s crazy what some people charge and I think it’s sad what has happened to the hobby with what the price of everything is now but it just goes to show you people with money don’t 2 give 2 shits what a Resto cost or how much they gave for a project.

Here's how I see it. I once had a place that was cheap and I was flipping it. I was auctioning it and things were slow and I knew I was going to eat this one. I the did the next best thing, I bid on it and they hit. I bid on it four times till the frenzy took hold and stupid kicked in. Just like these cars, it works every time, why, fear of missing out.
Shill bidding?

I love my '67 R/T. I bought it on purpose some 30 years ago, because car shows were full of the sleeker looking '68 - '70 B-bodies. This coming from a guy that bought a 1969 Super Bee new. It drives down the road as well as any '68 - '70 Charger, for a lot less $$$.

Shill bidding?
I'd have had the highest bid and would have had to buy it if they hadn't out bid me. I knew that when I did it. I was bidding, not pretending to bid. Yes, it's called shill bidding.

I love my '67 R/T. I bought it on purpose some 30 years ago, because car shows were full of the sleeker looking '68 - '70 B-bodies. This coming from a guy that bought a 1969 Super Bee new. It drives down the road as well as any '68 - '70 Charger, for a lot less $$$.
When the Charger prices took off, I was feeling smug that I'd always preferred the GTX. I like the idea of having less money tied up in my hobby.

Lol, F that. You'd be money ahead buying a restored one for $70k. That pile of parts looks like a nightmare. Rockers are roached, what else?? I would rather buy one assembled so I know what im getting into.

Yes, these go for crazy money. That is $15k at those crazy prices.

Typical failed project and one to avoid. Owner bought a lot of parts, tore it all apart, devalued the car, and now thinks it's gold. You won't even know if it's all there or what shape it's all in. Look for a car that is mostly assembled, mostly complete, and as little rust as possible. It's better to pay more up front for a good start. You'll be way ahead and more likely to stay motivated.

This is not to say that someone won't buy this this for stupid money, because that's the way things are these days. But at least they will be the one with a headache instead of you.

I just saw the prices for the new Speedkore 70 Charger carbon fiber cars. Body with rolling Roadster shop chassis $199,000. Finished cars with Hellcat/6 speed drive lines are from $499;999. AMD just released all kinds of inner structure pieces for second generation Chargers. I think that they will soon be offering full Charger bodies. I wonder what effect those would have on the Charger project car market?

I just saw the prices for the new Speedkore 70 Charger carbon fiber cars. Body with rolling Roadster shop chassis $199,000. Finished cars with Hellcat/6 speed drive lines are from $499;999. AMD just released all kinds of inner structure pieces for second generation Chargers. I think that they will soon be offering full Charger bodies. I wonder what effect those would have on the Charger project car market?
I love old cars and I love modern drivelines. But that is absurd. If I had $199,000 to burn I am buying something else, maybe a real Demon and have money left over and I don't have to build anything. This seems like a limited market.

I know if I hadn't bought mine when I did I'd be complaining but given the rise in prices, I think as current owners we should be happy. It could have gone the other way and the values dropped. I know I wouldn't be investing in Model A's or most 50's cars right now.

I love old cars and I love modern drivelines. But that is absurd. If I had $199,000 to burn I am buying something else, maybe a real Demon and have money left over and I don't have to build anything. This seems like a limited market.

Something else...

...like a profitable business.

I know if I hadn't bought mine when I did I'd be complaining but given the rise in prices, I think as current owners we should be happy. It could have gone the other way and the values dropped. I know I wouldn't be investing in Model A's or most 50's cars right now.
I never thought that these cars would ever be collectable or worth any money! People used to say that I was crazy wasting all my money on those old Dodges and Plymouths! LOL These cars were deemed expendable back in the day, I could have never predicted any of this when I got into the hobby !

I never thought that these cars would ever be collectable or worth any money! People used to say that I was crazy wasting all my money on those old Dodges and Plymouths! LOL These cars were deemed expendable back in the day, I could have never predicted any of this when I got into the hobby !
I always figured the factory Hemi and 440 cars would be worth a mint down the road, but never imagined the small blocks would reach current levels.

Bought my GTX in ‘82, complete, rust free with the numbers matching engine for $1,750. I can’t get my head around what sellers are asking for a rusted shell that needs everything...

I knew from first awareness around age 14 in the mid 80's that the "factory hot rods" would be "collectible".

Factory cartoon and wild graphics and the 340 cars as as well.

I always figured the factory Hemi and 440 cars would be worth a mint down the road, but never imagined the small blocks would reach current levels.
Back then tri five Chevies and Vettes were bringing the money. Hemi cars were always five grand out of my reach when they were to be found. The muscle cars were cheap and plentiful, most of them were used hard and rusty here in New England. They were considered gas guzzlers then and most people wanted them gone, except for the die hard gonna fix it up one day guys who let them rot into the ground. Those are the project cars we are seeing now selling for crazy money! My parents sold their 70 Charger R/T SE that they bought new for $650.00 in 1982. I paid less than that for my 70 Charger R/T SE back then myself. I still have my car.

moms Charger.jpg

20220507_133153.jpg

Last edited:
If I was interested in that 70 I would not hesitate to throw out a bid of what I'm willing to pay. I have no qualms about making an offer not even close to asking price. I wonder if $10k would get 'er done. Only one way to find out...

And yes, shill bidding. I bought my second Polaris Slingshot (1st one was totaled) from a guy whose son was running a Red Cross charity auction that was selling it. The father got caught with the high bid while running the price up and inadvertently bought it. I bought it from him for $1,000 less than he paid. Both Red Cross and I won! A forum member on a site I was on brokered the deal for me, stored the Sling until our respective vacations were done, then trailered it over 1,700 miles from Minneapolis to my house in Washington state and bought my wrecked Sling from me and trailered it home. There are still good people in this world.

Last edited:
Now if you had a Golden Hawk with a Paxton blower that is a completely different story.
Going back a long time, one of our small town police men had (I think a 56 Stude lowboy). It had been ordered by the Saskatoon City Police, they decided to sell that one because they had too many. I heard my older brother talking to his friends saying don’t try to out run George, but the the RCMP were okay. By 1964 you pretty well knew you couldn’t out run George, but the RCMP with their 283 Chev/Pontiacs, Fords were fair game.
George’s Lowboy was apparently ordered as a highway pursuit car. Fortunately George only had jurisdiction if you broke a town law. He was a very understanding officer.
Of course it would be. Sort of like having a hemi charger might be different then a 318.
But then, look at what this guy is asking for his pile of rot. You can go buy a Silver Hawk and drive it home, take it to the next car show for what this guy is asking for his clapped out shell.
Because the old guys that loved the Studebakers are gone.
I don't use old guys in some condescending tone. It's the facts of life. If you were a young man when these Chargers were ripping it up then you have a whole lot more memory and nostalgia and appreciation of the car, then some 35 year old would.
I bet George had something to say when telling stories about his time. Young people don't even know what a Studebaker is. Who do you think is willing to pay more?

We all get old, we all have "the golden days" in our own heads, and try as we might we can't let someone else experience our life so they can truly understand it. All we can do is tell stories. Some day, sooner then we all like to think, we won't be there to tell stories and the cars will have to sell themselves without any nostalgia hype to inflate the price. Then you get the Silver Hawks, the Model A, even stuff like the 57 Chevy.

Not sure why I get a red X for being real about it. The last 25 years has shown everything I write to be true. The car shows where the Model A club used to have their own patch of real estate and a parade coming and going are down to a couple guys that get there early to stake out a spot by each other to sit in the shade. The Studebaker club used to bring 60 cars to my local show in Iola. We average a dozen or so now and half of those are local guys and it includes the Kaisers. That's life. 57 Chevy was a 6 figure car 25 years ago. I can buy them local for 20k now, couple a year over the summer will pop up for the last few years now. Hype sets the price.
If you were 15-25 when these muscle cars were new, you are old. You don't have to act or feel it, but that's the truth.

Auto Transport Service
Back