• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this washer reservoir an older replacement or OE?

vintage chromoly

Local time
2:12 PM
Reaction score
hello all.
Any thoughts on whether this washer reservoir is original equipment or a replacement?

Car was fixed up in the early 90’s.

Thanks

19C9A0AA-C1C8-4B79-B5DA-E1DF8439B6F0.jpeg BAC1ABE8-21EC-4AD3-ABB9-3FD06BF96327.jpeg 0CAC55C2-4640-4735-838D-FF07B0692283.jpeg D92FB196-5377-4A39-9273-96B8EE6CBEB1.jpeg 6124B983-EA24-42B7-9EAE-9637826B6485.jpeg

Reproduction......the giveaway is the cap direction.......dont ask me how I found out:D

I bet the date is 1970

So, to be clear, an OE should have the cap opening towards the front of the vehicle?

Would the reproduction piece I have be an item bought through a Chrysler dealer or did the reproduction companies have these available in the early 90’s?

Thanks

Now that does not mean that your pump is not correct.....so check for the pn and date on that.....

So, to be clear, an OE should have the cap opening towards the front of the vehicle?

Would the reproduction piece I have be an item bought through a Chrysler dealer or did the reproduction companies have these available in the early 90’s?

Thanks
Both statements are correct.....The one I had on the X had stains and signs of true age.....I didn't give it a second thought....First thing the judged pointed out to me and when he did I kicked myself......

They made a run in the 80's. I think they ran two dates but everyone I have seen was dated for 1970....I had 4 of these and all were the same....I believe it was a guy who purchased the rights at the time to make them.....69bfan knows more about the vendor side of things....The were sold through both......

Thanks Again!
I always assumed it was OE because it is “aged” and my car was in hibernation from 1971 until 1991.

I’m going to pull it and check the date later. I’ll check the pump as well.
:drinks:

Thanks Again!
I always assumed it was OE because it is “aged” and my car was in hibernation from 1971 until 1991.

I’m going to pull it and check the date later. I’ll check the pump as well.
:drinks:
I made the same mistake and got dinged a point for that......The one on mine was on the car back when it was purchased by my pops in 1990's.....There were no reproduction parts on the car and the X was complete....I too didn't second guess that...lol

Here is a "real deal" unobtanium NOS washer reservoir.......No one on the planet has one for sale and the ones that have one is for the cars they are building or have built. The only one I found and it has the correct date range for the X...I bought a lottery ticket the same day, lol.....There are very distinctive markings and variations due to the molding process versus a reproduction....

washer.jpg
washer1.jpg
washer2.jpg
washer3.jpg
washer4.jpg
washer5.jpg
washer6.jpg
washer7.jpg
washer8.jpg

That's got more age spots than Bud-man. I'll give you a hundred bucks for that old blotchy piece.

The white reproduction has a generic date and stark white.....
Yep, too bright.. gonna try and "age" it. My OE in front of it dried out and is just starting to crack. The other had a good pump on it. Showing correct lid hole location was all on OE's. Two are.. one's an obvious new reproduction.

I know how to make yellowed plastic white again, just have to figure out how to go the other way!

Last edited:
It’s best not to talk about it. Just hand the man who has the goods whatever he asks for said item, be happy you found one, and move on.
I wouldn't even state for the sake of sanity, lol........

I handed it walking backwards and bent over.....lol.......

Parts like these are in a whole different category and thats the negative side of being date code and pn correct....

Go ya one better, my oem got lost when I started removing extra weight to race in late 70’s. ( Idiot !)

I swapped mine out because I thought the new ones looked better - little did I know. Oh well it’s not the only thing I replaced.......

I made the same mistake and got dinged a point for that......The one on mine was on the car back when it was purchased by my pops in 1990's.....There were no reproduction parts on the car and the X was complete....I too didn't second guess that...lol

On the judging side, I entered my Superbird at the Nationals and I got dinged a point for incorrect valve stem caps. They were blind to the fact the wheels on the ground were 15" Polyglass, and the original spare I had was a 14" Polyglass.

Well, I've still got my original. But...... its in about 10 or 20 pieces now, man that stuff gets brittle and just crumbles. Its in the attic storage, I really don't know why I've kept it though.

Auto Transport Service
Back