• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Your B-Body Mopar Matching Numbers?

Is Your B-Body Mopar have a Numbers-Matching Engine?

• Total voters
Only if completely unaltered in any way.
How the heck go you do a ground up restoration and claim it numbers matching original?
This is hog wash

That's my argument too! how the hell can you claim that when you didn't clean and reuse every original bolt etc sheesh if your going to be a purist then be a purist for real not when it's convenient.
No restored car can ever claim a original ground up it's bollocks!

Then you are saying no cars are original (numbers matching engine and Transmission) unless it still uses every original nut and bolt? Ridiculous.

I think you guys may be comparing apples to oranges here with "original" and "numbers matching".
And I don't think original nuts & bolts are required to be "original", at least not in my mind. That seems to be pushing it a bit to me. Now, I'm using the term "original" generically, not in some 100 point purist car show.

I think you guys may be comparing apples to oranges here with "original" and "numbers matching".
And I don't think original nuts & bolts are required to be "original", at least not in my mind. That seems to be pushing it a bit to me. Now, I'm using the term "original" generically, not in some 100 point purist car show.

So what would you call a Car.... UN-restored, UN-rebuilt driveline running well...... same nuts & bolts never un-done, right down to the factory exhaust system intact ?
Original ?

see here
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/opinions-on-what-to-call-it-when-asked.138307/

My engine hasn't been rebuilt. 101k on the clock. I did replace the water pump. Is it non original now? LOL

My engine hasn't been rebuilt. 101k on the clock. I did replace the water pump. Is it non original now? LOL

That's what drives me nuts about this entire nomenclature thing around these old Cars ? Depending upon who you talk to and their level of knowledge ? misrepresentations can abound in communication ?

Then you are saying no cars are original (numbers matching engine and Transmission) unless it still uses every original nut and bolt? Ridiculous.
Why would an original car not still have its nuts and bolts? What was done to it that they needed to be replaced? Get the point!
Many of these cars were not factory original when leaving the dealership and the customer would have never known. That why there is a thing called dealer prep. Try to fix all the flaws before the customer sees it. If you have never worked new car prep it was amazing what needed to be fix and repaired on some new cars.

My coronet was a matching number car but not anymore thanks to me, I just don't care if it was, I want my car the way I want it and that's all that matter to me, and since it is my car and here in Mexico are so few b bodies nobody care if it is a matching numbers car just my two cents

I love stirring the **** on this topic it's sooo much fun to watch after hahaha

Restoring to factory original specs like on GYC is really the only true way to have a pure restored car. Using every bolt that came with it but replacing the ones it was missing with new factory style, example are bolt heads stamped with letters for a suspension or bumper for example, if you use a different type but same size bolt then the quality of the resto is diminished and no longer pure vs using a new modern version but correctly stamped or buying restored but original wiper motor date code correct or anything of that sort to where there it is too difficult to find flaw vs seeing one right off the batt. Having a numbers matching body and drivetrain is just a part of a pure car so to say its is numbers matching with the intent that is all original is pure crap to a purist. Savy?

The only real truth is the truth you tell and the truth your car shows, my 69 RR is far from pure but is it a real RR yep, does it have some numbers matching? yes body and trans only. Do I tell people who ask if its original or restored to factory specs? nope i tell the truth about what it is what's been done and what it current has because I built what I wanted not what some purist thinks it should be. Personally I think I have improved upon it greatly anyone else who has an opinion is welcome but the second you begin the blah this is not correct bullshit I will walk away from you laughing.

That all said its not enough to just have the body and or the engine and trans to be numbers matching, that term is **** and what it really should mean is the car has all the parts it had from the dealer and you can prove it with a build sheet! that is truly numbers matching you guys need to stop trying to half *** it and move on.

I left my 383's guts spread out over the East bound right hand lane of Route 30 in Lancaster County on a dark night around February 8, 1978. Two Buddies (we didn't do this **** in there cars:steering:) had to walk, (see that light way over there, must be a house) to find a phone (no cell phone back then) at a house across a dark field and walked into a barb wire fence and some cows. Had the Charger towed by George T. Morgan's Towing Service, 825 Lancaster Ave. Columbia, Pa. Yea I remember that night. You always remember your first's. In the 70's and 80's, would I be safe to say these cars were just tools to do a job. Now, their Investments. Who would have thought.

I agree with everyone that says, "It's my car and I'll do to it whatever I want!" However, for many of us that have a numbers matching survivor, that is part of the fun. I'm driving the car I drove my senior year of college 48 years ago! Let's face it, the market determines the value of our cars. The market, in general, has determined that numbers matching cars have a higher value than clone/tribute cars. Does that mean the "fun factor" is higher? Of course not! If you have a numbers matching B Body, IMO you'd better think hard before modifying into a fun, non-numbers matching machine. Once you do, it gets harder and harder to go back should you ever decide to do so. In the final analysis, it's your buggy and your choice!

'69 punkin, '70 trans, '68 440, not matching anymore; but I had fun & still do.

I agree with everyone that says, "It's my car and I'll do to it whatever I want!" However, for many of us that have a numbers matching survivor, that is part of the fun. I'm driving the car I drove my senior year of college 48 years ago! Let's face it, the market determines the value of our cars. The market, in general, has determined that numbers matching cars have a higher value than clone/tribute cars. Does that mean the "fun factor" is higher? Of course not! If you have a numbers matching B Body, IMO you'd better think hard before modifying into a fun, non-numbers matching machine. Once you do, it gets harder and harder to go back should you ever decide to do so. In the final analysis, it's your buggy and your choice!
Yup....I've had a couple of matching numbers high end cars over the years and sold them just because I didn't want to 'butcher' them up but in the long run, I wish I had kept them and mildly modified them to suit me. That's what I did even with my first car way before anyone cared about numbers matching. Now I wouldn't be welding in frame ties and that sort of thing but bolt on changes has been part of what I like to do.

If you would have a numbers matching car and in good running order, or even a totally restored one, you tend to be a little cautious when driving it. You don't want to break anything like the engine or transmission because there goes your "numbers" correct part. One of the reasons I pulled my original engine and replaced it with a engine I can have fun with. I can bolt on aftermarket wheels and tires, change things to make it mine but still be able to reverse what I have done to have it factory correct again. Yeah, I'm hanging onto all of the original parts that I removed in order to update certain things and they will stay with the car if and whenever it leaves my hands. I plan on having fun with this car and I'm not going to be afraid to drive it.

Mine was all matching numbers when I received it. Leaning tower of power, 3 on the tree, Detroit acid dip. Ah what the heck, I changed it.
Doug

B3.jpg DSC_4089.JPG

Too many cars going across auction blocks selling for top dollar and not numbers matching or even near it! going like hot cakes we all see it, it's what they did to it that matters most and the bidder values that and bids accordingly, then there are the custom builds that builders set the price at and hope for more. Point is these days it doesn't matter if its numbers matching anymore the trend is just about dead it's a fun fact but when you can have a 572 hp EFI Hemi with a tremec 6 speed and modern steering and suspension and the cars hauls *** and rides on a rail and is as comfortable to be in as most modern cars but maintains that classic body you have the winning car. I bet a super bird with modern tech like that would sell for almost as much. the only exception is the 1 of 5 cuda hemi convert 4 spd. Nowadays it's all about the modern Chally and Charger Hellcat, Demon you get a few looks in the old birds and a hey nice car but the clubs around here are filled with modern LX platform cars that could really give 2 shits about your classic grandpa and don't understand the amount of money you just dropped in it to get it on the road. Sad really because just a few years ago we have been trying our best to get the younger crowd away from tuners and interested in the classics but it appears all we have done is open the door to the modern car but hey at least it's still a mopar right? lol try explaining the history and value and what it means to own a mopar to one of these kids, hell try to convince one of them to put a pentastar on the front fender to show support for the older logo nah debadging everything is way cooler lmao ******* kids whata gunna do? Oh by the way I decoded my 06' charger for the record book and future registry lmao Can't wait to get my hands on a Demon.....

Auto Transport Service
Back