• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Your B-Body Mopar Matching Numbers?

Is Your B-Body Mopar have a Numbers-Matching Engine?

• Total voters
I have two matching numbers cars, 68 GTS 383, 4 spd conv, and and 67 Charger 440 Magnum. Both relatively low production number cars and kinda cool to own, but really not sought after cars. I do what I want with them and don't really care about what they might sell for.

What little I watched of BJ suggests to me that the matching numbers thing is kinda passing, except for the really rare and sought after cars.
Unlike chebbies and ferds i don't think the really good mopars see an auction block.

one matching and one not . but there mine and there not going to match when i'm done . but i'll keep the matching ideas in the corner .

Well, my '67 GTX has a '69 GTX motor in it; close enough. At least the motor stayed in the family. Radiator is from a '70 Ply w/ 383 & a/c, but hey it cools the water. The rest belongs to the car. Stating the obvious, I don't believe many of us back in the day saw these cars as collectibles; they were designed to tear-up racetracks and roadways. With that in mind, we all know the stories of people purchasing these cars and within a year, lots of aftermarket parts got installed, the factory parts got the toss. I think that true number matching cars just went through a series of owners who didn't fool with the factory performance; the factory gave them all the power they wanted.
They were wussies or really smart to not mess with them. Personally, I was neither,lol.

My 70 V-Code Roadrunner has a 71 440 in it with an aluminum Edelbrock 6bbl intake and Holley carbs. Had a non-numbers matching a833 18 spline 4 speed which I recently swapped out for a Passon Performance a855 5-speed.
A few notes: If it would have been in the condition (good) it was in when I bought it, and numbers matching, it would have added at least 20k to the 40-some thousand I paid for it, and I wouldn't have been able to afford that. I have already modded it, and have a lot more on my "to do" list to make it faster and more like I want it, and if it was a #s car I would self-limit those changes to only what could be undone, and I would be more concerned about "beating" on it at the track and occasionally on the street.
It will always have the value intrinsic in being a real V-Code car, but this way I can do what I want to it without reservation.
That is what I wanted, and what I bought.

It funny how there are more matching #'s cars today then they ever was when these cars were only a few years old in the 60's & 70's.

It's amazing how so many Hemi cars, Six Pack Cars, Boss Nine, Yenko Camaro's etc all have the numbers matching drivetrains these days. B.S. Hmmm, no one ever bought these types of cars to beat on them , blow them up & discard them once done with them????

Ill tell you of the 3 super track pak 4.10 cars we have none of them are numbers matching....

My theory is up on the road at 60mph a low on oil 440 with 4.10s versus a low on oil 440 with 2.94s made a difference in their life or death lol

I have two matching numbers cars, 68 GTS 383, 4 spd conv, and and 67 Charger 440 Magnum. Both relatively low production number cars and kinda cool to own, but really not sought after cars. I do what I want with them and don't really care about what they might sell for.

What little I watched of BJ suggests to me that the matching numbers thing is kinda passing, except for the really rare and sought after cars.

Lemme know when your not sought after 11 second L code car goes up for sale!!

the original block is gone...BOOM!....the rest is as close as you can get......fender tag, ibm punch card, build sheet, & Galen Govier...... chrysler historical......
BUT...now I really don't give a ****.....I want to go faster, so bolt on's....

world of wheels.jpg

my 63 sfgc is not , but as sunny said ! my 65 sc is , my 69 rr is not . but i did not buy them for the #'s game .
Fury.png

When the non numbers matching 440 race engine blew a rod out the side, I went stock (440)engine & ended up with a ‘68 440 block(kinda lucky I guess)have no memory of where #’s matching 383 went.But I’m happy, most people ask if it’s a 440(?).Never came with that engine,but they all ask(?). Some kinda “catchet “ I guess.

If you have a car that the original engine was replaced under factory warranty, is it considered numbers matching?

I know some of you couldn't care less, and some believe owners are "bragging" when they say their car is a numbers matching car. What say you?

1969 Coronet 500 Hardtop with 318/904/small rear axle? is numbers matching, but looking to put a 360/518/8-3/4" in it.
1969 Coronet R/T Hardtop, originally 440/727/8-3/4" but original drive train long gone back in the 1970's. I bought as basically a basket case and I have a 6.1L hemi with NAG trans I would like to put in it, and may put a Dana 60 in it.
1969 Coronet R/T Convertible, originally 440/4-speed/Dana 60. Bought as non-numbers matching (likely only way I could afford it anyway). If it was all numbers matching might have kept it that way, but since it was not, it has a 440 Non-Hp stroked to 505 with EFI" with 5-speed OD trans, 3.55:1 Dana 60.
1971 Charger 500 Hardtop, originally 383 4bbl/727/8-3/4". When I bought it was numbers matching, and I still have the original 383 engine and rear end, but not in the car. The original numbers trans is in the car, but been modified internally and externally (for trans shield.) Car has the 500" stroked 400 block, and Strange S60 rear end in it now.

Don't think I'm rich, the reality is I picked these cars up along time ago when they were less expensive, and they all needed work.
The '69 500 only cost me $800 (early 1990's) and was originally to be used as parts for the R/T hardtop, but was in pretty nice condition so I could not bring myself to part it out for the R/T Hardtop.
The '69 R/T hardtop had been raced and most of the interior gone, needs new trunk and at least lower quarters, trans was shot and rear axle or brakes are dragging. Had the '69 Non HP engine that is now the stroker in the convertible. I only paid $700 for that car around 1990.
The '69 R/T Convertible cost some real money $20,000, and it needed work too. Dropped too much $$$$$ into it now.
The '71 Charger 500 I bought in the late 1980's for $550, not a straight panel on it, and needed lower quarters too. This has had a couple different engine and tire combinations in/on it over the years. Other than the drivetrain, I don't have much invested in the car.

I also had a nice matching number 68 383 4sp GTS convertible. Pulled the motor and swapped it for 440 with a cast iron 6 pac. Used the heads and left the perfectly fine 383 short block in a barn in Wisconsin. Yes 1 of 40 built.
Doug

My Coronet has every mechanical item in it that came with it in 1968 except for a couple of small items (like the heater valve) but I found 1968 parts to restore. The typical drivetrain match not so interested in. One that has been virtually completely untouched in 50 years is just neat to me. WW1 paint and the factory wheels/hubcaps would put it back to original condition.

I also had a nice matching number 68 383 4sp GTS convertible. Pulled the motor and swapped it for 440 with a cast iron 6 pac. Used the heads and left the perfectly fine 383 short block in a barn in Wisconsin. Yes 1 of 40 built.
Doug
Welll, I do like ur old /6 car though!

Doug
"Nice" is probably not the word I would use to describe my GTS, but it runs and drives fine and is a bunch of fun to drive with the slightly warmed up 383. 383/4 sd/rpm, beautiful thing.

Auto Transport Service
Back