• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It Just won't fire up

relam

Local time
1:09 AM
Reaction score
Putting this out to the general forum, I recently aquired a 67 Charger 383 motor. One of the issues when purchased was that it would not start, he wasn't kidding. Before I flat bed this off to have a professional to figure it out I wanted to take one more stab at it.
New starter, battery, carb, fuel pump, plugs, distributor and wires. Seems its just not getting the spark, all I can lead to believe is the distributor is wrong or bad ? Plug wires are correct to the firing order. Starter coil looks new, so I assumed it was replaced as well. I do have a new one though I am ready to put on. any thoughts are welcomed motor turns freely, seems close but nothing
62e1e234-0245-4e65-9dcf-22ec3183137d.jpg
62e1e234-0245-4e65-9dcf-22ec3183137d.jpg
cc82eb70-fc59-414e-a64d-b82103184543.jpg
d5d3280e-ab57-43dd-b840-1fc8f548b1cc.jpg

compression? you may find bent pushrods by pulling the valve covers

and set of your distributor 12-15* Before TDC

compression? you may find bent pushrods by pulling the valve covers

and set of your distributor 12-15* Before TDC
Compression was another one of my concerns but didn’t want to go there

Number one piston all the way up and check the 0 degree mark on the harmonic balancer. Should be lined up with the timing mark. Then pull the cap off the distributor and see where its pointing. If its pointing to the towards the carb you are 180 out. Go another round with the engine and bring up number one again to top dead center. Pull the cap see where it points. Should be close to the rear of the alternator. If this is the case. Then start the number 1 plug wire at that point. Big blocks have counter clockwise rotation. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 This is the firing order. Start with number one wire where the rotor is pointing. Then go counter clockwise. Driver side is odd bank passenger side is even bank.
D P
1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8
Rear of engine.

Stick a spark tester in one of the wires and crank it...
is there a nice spark? You can also have a "friend" hold a screwdriver stuck in the end of one of the plug wires...
Crank it and if he screams the spark is good...

Be sure the distributor isn't 180* out too...

Replace the ballast resistor if your gonna just throw parts...

Number one piston all the way up and check the 0 degree mark on the harmonic balancer. Should be lined up with the timing mark. Then pull the cap off the distributor and see where its pointing. If its pointing to the towards the carb you are 180 out. Go another round with the engine and bring up number one again to top dead center. Pull the cap see where it points. Should be close to the rear of the alternator. If this is the case. Then start the number 1 plug wire at that point. Big blocks have counter clockwise rotation. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 This is the firing order. Start with number one wire where the rotor is pointing. Then go counter clockwise. Driver side is odd bank passenger side is even bank.
D P
1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8
Rear of engine.
Ill give it a whirl TY

Stick a spark tester in one of the wires and crank it...
is there a nice spark? You can also have a "friend" hold a screwdriver stuck in the end of one of the plug wires...
Crank it and if he screams the spark is good...

Be sure the distributor isn't 180* out too...

Replace the ballast resistor if your gonna just throw parts...
I know someone yes, Ill try that too

You need to check for spark with ignition in start and run position.

If you can't get it running I'll take that junker off your hands. :)
LOL found a diamond in the rough here by luck. Factory 383 with factory 4 speed and it was ordered with no front console, just the rear seats have it, very rare Im guessing this junker will run :thumbsup:

Is the distributor the original points style or has someone upgraded to a mopar electronic distributor ?

Is the distributor the original points style or has someone upgraded to a mopar electronic distributor ?
Its was all upgraded before I bought it, previous owner couldn't get it started, i am beginning to suspect the distributor was not installed properly

Easy peasy. Get tdc. Remove distributor cap. Wire forward from there if it is wrong. Or pull distributor and install at the position some feel is mandatory. You will know immediately regardless.

Auto Transport Service
Back