• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's been 4 months now and I can't get the body shop to get me an update

Well guys I would love nothing more than to get the car but I have no idea where it's at lol, I will say this, I have been talking with another one of his customers who actually had his car done and was real happy with the results.

He told me he was in the exact same boat as me, and when he started to press a bit on the guy got his car done in 8 weeks. He was supposed to be a 3 month turn around as well but it ended up taking 8 months and he did tell the guy when he picked it up that he wish he had just told the truth about it instead of telling him what he wanted to hear. I doubt that made any difference to this guy. He also suggested to ask again on Thursday for the pictures or have the blaster send them, hard part is I asked all that already. In the end the guy was happy with the results and wants to do more business with him, like me his car was just some rust repair, body work and paint simple stuff. He also said it was worth the wait.

How do you go about getting your car back if you don't' know where it is and the guy won't tell you? I mean I can understand if he is using an ex employee to do the metal work and he is getting it done on the cheap and all that to maximize his profits, cool I don't care just give me some pictures of it in real time so I have proof wtf so frustrating! What are the cops going to do? aks him the same thing and he'll give them some false address and they will tell me this is where your car is and I go there and it's an empty lot then what back to his place with the cops again?

While I was there it looked like he had 15-20 projects going about 4-5 active the rest sitting in limbo for what ever reason. All 5 people in the shop were working on something different, there was no sign of the shop getting packed up or getting ready for a move. On all the outer surfaces things look normal if he would just send me update pics it would relieve a lot of tension.

You're too much if a trusting soul. Have you ever said "I'll pay you for the work done to date, but I want my car back NOW"? I simply couldn't take what you're taking...... Good luck!

X2...and the previous customer you are talking to...where did you meet him, did you get his contact info/reference from the b/shop guy? if so...not too credible, what if they're friends.
You're too much if a trusting soul. Have you ever said "I'll pay you for the work done to date, but I want my car back NOW"? I simply couldn't take what you're taking...... Good luck!

bigmanjbmopar: "It's not the size of the dog in the fight it's the size of the fight in the dog! Bring it!"

You and I have had our differences over the years, but as a fellow Northern California Mopar owner, and an ex law enforcement officer, I feel sorry for your situation. The problem is that you're not living up to your own tag line, above. I wasn't going to write anything after you said you were going to make a trip up there, but obviously, you didn't.
There is no good reason on earth for you to continue to let this shop take advantage of your good nature. Call the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) in Sacramento and ask them to intercede on your behalf. This shop needs to have their cage rattled by some agency that WILL make a difference. This shop is not the only good body shop in Nor-Cal. Call BAR first. Have them inform the shop that you are coming up on a specific date with a trailer and for them to have the car ready, at the shop where you dropped it off. Tell the BAR that you are willing to settle up for any work done at that time, even though the shop went against CA state law that requires them to give you an invoice with an estimate and to get your signature before commencing any work.
The time for diplomacy is over. I wish you luck in getting your car back safely.
Dave

I took my RR to a guy who I had known for a long time that was know to have done some really good restorations. I made a deal with him to finish the body work and get it in primer and if things worked out He would paint it if I had money for it when he was thru with the body work. It set out his place uncovered for a year before I found out he had just been blowing smoke and lying to me about working on it. I picked it up and have never had any thing decent to say for him since. I have told some people that was considering having him do some work what he had done to me and after talking around I found out he had done a lot of people bad. So load up and go get your car while you still have one !!!!

i want to get my car but i have no idea how to find it or where it is!

Everyone is telling you to contact law enforcement or the BBB -why are you sitting in limbo for 48 hrs...why do you feel stuck? Go get your damn car!!
i want to get my car but i have no idea how to find it or where it is!

Reading about these situations makes me want to put GPS trackers on my car....

I "courted" my body shop for about 2 years. Stopped by, checked the yard to see how fast cars were in and out. A wise soul on this board once wrote "If you see the owner and his friends drinking beer in the garage, RUN!!!".

I like the shops that do modern insurance jobs (for cash flow) but also do long term classic car projects. This takes someone skilled in the business and is becoming exceedingly rare these days as most shops just want to throw a plastic bumper on a toyota, spray it and bill insurance.

JB, call the local Johnny Q Law on thursday morning, tell them the situation, then show up to this ******** shop. This way, you'll have THE Trump card in your back pocket when he starts slinging his bullshit again. I betcha a steak dinner he'll produce the "body man" or whoever the hell this guy is, WITH pics and a LIVE call.

If not, file a police report and submit it to your insurance company and they will subrogate a claim against his insurance. then either he produces the car, or he pays you what it's worth (I know that's not really what you want, but it's leverage anyways)

two_cents_kent brockman.jpg

JB, call the local Johnny Q Law on thursday morning, tell them the situation, then show up to this ******** shop. This way, you'll have THE Trump card in your back pocket when he starts slinging his bullshit again. I betcha a steak dinner he'll produce the "body man" or whoever the hell this guy is, WITH pics and a LIVE call.

If not, file a police report and submit it to your insurance company and they will subrogate a claim against his insurance. then either he produces the car, or he pays you what it's worth (I know that's not really what you want, but it's leverage anyways)

View attachment 305536

Do this. Scumbags see customer patience as an opening to waste even more of your time. If you change tactics abruptly with strong leverage and authority the scumbag will realize he is in a very weak position.

Once you get your car back how about naming this shop/guy, I'd hate to read in a few months that another Mopar owner is dealing with this crap.

Anyhow, it might be time to get the law involved if he won't produce your car.

Bigmanjbmopar......you are being to passive about this ordeal. Please do what everyone is urging you to do, we've all be in similar circumstances. Take No-Neck Vinny with you.

Your problem isn't going to solve itself. You have repeatedly been given the advice you wanted , so quit whineing , get off you butt and do something! If you won't put up with being ripped off, you can do something about it. I had a similar problem and when I got thru with it, the guy closed up shop and left town. He didn't realize just what the consequences could be. All legal BTW.......................................MO

You guys kill me, calling me a pussy basically lmao I have been busy! I now have a Civil pit bull badass attorney on retainer ready to drop the ******* hammer and take this shop to the cleaners, I have the 2 different county Sheriff's departments on notice that my car may be stolen and to stand by for an assault on this place along with 4 local police departments due to the distance between this guys shop and the area he is saying the car is and his home. I have notified the FBI fraud division that there is a possible situation developing and they will be waiting to see the reports of what goes down and if it does they will open a case and begin a gut scrubbing investigation of this guys entire life and all who work for him as well as past and present customers! Imagine a gloved hand ramming up your *** and pulling out your guts through your corn hole! that's what it's going to be like. Who knows I think I may have seen some isis and islam **** laying around his shop the other day!

I am locked and loaded, the shop owner was giving a deadline to produce current pictures of the car no matter what if any has been done to it to prove it is still in his possession if he does not well god help him and his employees and probably the last 30-40 customers. Sorry customers but collateral damage is the way it has to be if HE chooses this route.

Good to hear you've been so active. Everyone thought you were just hanging out waiting for your car to just magically appear or accept its disappearance. If he doesn't perform rip his nuts off and sew them to his chin. I hate businesses that mess people around because they think they can. Go for it!

Good to hear you've been so active. Everyone thought you were just hanging out waiting for your car to just magically appear or accept its disappearance. If he doesn't perform rip his nuts off and sew them to his chin. I hate businesses that mess people around because they think they can. Go for it!
I thought I had a way with words! Yeah GetX'd!

If he doesn't perform rip his nuts off and sew them to his chin.

If they`re hairy enough some people might not even notice! lol

Please keep us informed, I love it when some rip off gets what is comeing to him (or her).................................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back