• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JACK STAND FAILURE? Ever have one?

Damn Bud. ^^^ That is a story! Glad you are OK

Just yesterday I was thinking about this topic. I was under my Jeep doing a trans fluid / filter. To make the whole process cleaner I just had the back on stands. All wheels still on - but as I was under there I heard a loud CRASH and my heart stopped dead flat and I scrambled out from under that thing since it sounded like something let go. Turns out the hood was up and with the rear up it slowly overcame the gas struts holding the hood open - so the hood slamming was the noise. I laughed out loud at that - but it was not the kind of sound you like to hear when under a car.

...I had Big Red stand break at the casting on the brace side. I use four when working, so no car drop, but the piece that broke skipped on my head on it's way across to body to end up on my nuts.

I'm wondering what the thoughts on steel drive-up ramps are. I drove onto mine then blocked the rear tires when I was removing undercoating on my 66 Satellite ragtop. I felt very secure with the ramps and blocked tires, now I'm wondering if I was OK, crazy or lucky?

This stuff freaks me out. I'm very careful, but you just never know... California earthquakes, a weld failure, or careless setup can all spell disaster. I leave the jack under the car, and I even stick ramps or big 6" x 6" blocks under wheels when the car is off the ground and I'm under it.

I guess I have the benefit of learning from my Dad too- he was lifting the rear of our old sedan in the driveway when I was a kid, and the car fell off the jack. It rolled back and pinned him between the car and the his truck (also parked in the driveway). Popped his collar bone in half and caused the issuance of several four letter words.

Lessons learned? Have an exit plan. Don't park cars behind cars that you're working on. Don't lift on less-than-level surfaces. Chock your wheels. And always apply the parking brake. At least it won't roll if it falls.

I know it's not a jack failure, but I did have the transmission fall out of my Charger and land on me. The previous owner neglected to use all 6 bolts to secure the thing, so I thought I still had two left. Dowel pins held it, and then suddenly... a holy crap moment. Tore my rotator cuff in the process and pinned me under there. Luckily I had a jack under the tail shaft and it didn't smash me completely.

Wow, great responses, guys, at least I'm not the only one who gets freaked out by this. Honestly, when that happened to my buddy's best friend, it was quite a while before I'd even jack the car up. Yet when I was a kid, I swear I spent an entire summer under my old jeep on stands in a driveway with a slight slope.

One thing I do is I wait until the car is on the stands before chocking the wheels. I noticed that chocking first can pull the car up against the chocks and when you settle it down on the stands it can pull on the stands a bit. I also give the car a few pushes from every angle before I get under there.

Now a days i only go under the car on a level concrete garage floor. I use my 10 ton Lincoln jack stands whenever I can (some cheap 3 ton HF units when they won't fit) and still keep the jack engaged ALWAYS. if the jack won't fit, then I figure out a way to get it to fit. On top of that I always keep my grandfather's handmade welded jack stand by my side under a frame rail or the diff just in case. It's not tall enough for most work, but will catch the car before my chest does. I figure it saved his butt and my dad's a few times, it'll save mine too.

Sometimes I think the whole house can come down on that car and I'd still be safe. It's a funny thing, getting older and wiser.

I know it's not a jack failure, but I did have the transmission fall out of my Charger and land on me. The previous owner neglected to use all 6 bolts to secure the thing, so I thought I still had two left. Dowel pins held it, and then suddenly... a holy crap moment. Tore my rotator cuff in the process and pinned me under there. Luckily I had a jack under the tail shaft and it didn't smash me completely.

Now THAT is something I wouldn't have thought of. I'll be changing my first torque converter soon and I'll be sure to double check that.

Nope never, not even with the cheap ones from China.

Ditto on using the jack as the secondary measure.

When I first started working on cars (of my own) at 16 I bought a small floor jack and drive on ramps. This was because me and my dad did all the car work in our rock drive way or in the front yard and the only thing he ever had or used was a standard bumper jack. I still can vividly remember being 7 and laying under his 69 RR in the front yard, at night, in the fall, holding a flash light for him as he installed a new prebent exhaust system.

He was shaking the hell out of that car and hammering a tool into the exhaust seams to spit it apart so he could shake the hell out it some more to get it apart. This went on for hours and he had to drive it to work the next day which was 2 hours away. Anyway early on I told him basically "Dad the car is moving .. what if it falls off?" He said "it won't fall off" and reached up and grabbed hold and shook the hell out of it some more side to side. Holy ****!

I decided then and there I was never getting under another car with him unless we had better equipment. He had done this his whole life and even changed transmissions using only a bumper jack multiple times.

After I bought the ramps and a floor jack he never used a bumper jack again. Even to change a tire.

btw I've jacked up cars and slide the ramps under and have used the 4 footed heavier looking cast iron jackstands and would never use one of those widow maker looking cheap tube stands. I always leave the floor jack under (now a huge old one) and shake the hell out of it before I get under the car. BTW I like my Mopars to ride a little high so I can get under them w/o jacking the car up, but jack them up so I can work on them. That way if it falls at lest I won't be smashed, maybe some broken parts but not crushed. That's when the wheels and tires are on of course.

...This was because me and my dad did all the car work in our rock drive way or in the front yard and the only thing he ever had or used was a standard bumper jack. I still can vividly remember being 7 and laying under his 69 RR in the front yard, at night, in the fall, holding a flash light for him as he installed a new prebent exhaust system.

He was shaking the hell out of that car and hammering a tool into the exhaust seams to spit it apart so he could shake the hell out it some more to get it apart. This went on for hours and he had to drive it to work the next day which was 2 hours away. Anyway early on I told him basically "Dad the car is moving .. what if it falls off?" He said "it won't fall off" and reached up and grabbed hold and shook the hell out of it some more side to side. Holy ****!

I decided then and there I was never getting under another car with him unless we had better equipment. He had done this his whole life and even changed transmissions using only a bumper jack multiple times.

After I bought the ramps and a floor jack he never used a bumper jack again. Even to change a tire...

So then, this is bad?

SNF2620A_682_718042a.jpg

SNF2620A_682_718042a.jpg

Never had one fail but I did see what happens when you jack up a 7220 Terex wheel loader with a 30 ton jack and then take a 10 ton jack extend the ram all the way up, place it under the machine and quickly lower the machine onto it. It is amazing how those cylinders will bulge out perfectly in a 360° circle. It looked like it was turned on a lathe. By the way it was not me that did this!

Benji

When I first started working on cars (of my own) at 16 I bought a small floor jack and drive on ramps. This was because me and my dad did all the car work in our rock drive way or in the front yard and the only thing he ever had or used was a standard bumper jack. I still can vividly remember being 7 and laying under his 69 RR in the front yard, at night, in the fall, holding a flash light for him as he installed a new prebent exhaust system.

After I bought the ramps and a floor jack he never used a bumper jack again. Even to change a tire.

btw I've jacked up cars and slide the ramps under and have used the 4 footed heavier looking cast iron jackstands and would never use one of those widow maker looking cheap tube stands. I always leave the floor jack under (now a huge old one) and shake the hell out of it before I get under the car. BTW I like my Mopars to ride a little high so I can get under them w/o jacking the car up, but jack them up so I can work on them. That way if it falls at lest I won't be smashed, maybe some broken parts but not crushed. That's when the wheels and tires are on of course.

My dad too! Always just used a bumper jack. I remember being under that 69 Fury with just the bumper jack...

Never looked safe to me either - but hey - Dad didn't seem concerned.

Trained by the master - when I was 16 or so I was doing a rear brake on my first car - a '79 Plymouth Duster - I raised the car using only the bumper jack in the rear. Took the left rear wheel off and of course the drum wouldn't come off because it was rusted. So I jacked it up higher so I could get a better angle on banging the drum off. Like a 16-year old - I failed to chock the tires. So I am behind the car, jacking it up another couple notches when I reached a certain height - the car slowly started to roll forward.... I realize no chocks! Before the car gets to the point of no return, I hustled over to the wheelwell and grab hold to keep it from rolling. So there I am - standing there holding the car back from rolling by holding the wheelwell lip - and if I let go it will roll forward and crash to the ground. Don't know how long I stood there, but eventually Dad came out to the garage and let the jack down to a point of balance and we got it chocked. Didn't really tell me I was stupid either...

That brings back memories of mis spent youth. When I had to replace the trans on the old fury. I got it done using a bottle jack barley large enough to get a tire changed out. Barely had room to slide the large part of the housing under the car. Then slide next to the trans and slowly work your way under the trans by sheer brute determination and get it on your chest. Next was the fun part of not only bench pressing the trans up, but holding with one arm and knees to get the angle right, while you fumble to get that first bolt started. This whole time the trans is getting slammed into the hump while the bottle jack does its job of keeping the car in air.

I'm wondering what the thoughts on steel drive-up ramps are. I drove onto mine then blocked the rear tires when I was removing undercoating on my 66 Satellite ragtop. I felt very secure with the ramps and blocked tires, now I'm wondering if I was OK, crazy or lucky?

Ramps are pretty safe, if used properly... sounds like you did it right... I rarely use them thou, they seem to always be in my way...LOL...

I've never had one fail but, I hate getting under the car when they're on them! Back when I was 17 and really stupid, I had my '73 Charger on cinder blocks for a long time while I was working on it...stupid. They didn't fail but, they could/should have. There was a lengthy discussion about this on the garagejournal. A lot of guys over there place wheels under the car at the frame/structural points while they're under the car for an extra level of protection. Sounds like a good idea.

So then, this is bad?

Nope perfectly acceptable practice LOL!

- - - Updated - - -

My dad too! Always just used a bumper jack. I remember being under that 69 Fury with just the bumper jack...

Never looked safe to me either - but hey - Dad didn't seem concerned.

Trained by the master - when I was 16 or so I was doing a rear brake on my first car - a '79 Plymouth Duster - I raised the car using only the bumper jack in the rear. Took the left rear wheel off and of course the drum wouldn't come off because it was rusted. So I jacked it up higher so I could get a better angle on banging the drum off. Like a 16-year old - I failed to chock the tires. So I am behind the car, jacking it up another couple notches when I reached a certain height - the car slowly started to roll forward.... I realize no chocks! Before the car gets to the point of no return, I hustled over to the wheelwell and grab hold to keep it from rolling. So there I am - standing there holding the car back from rolling by holding the wheelwell lip - and if I let go it will roll forward and crash to the ground. Don't know how long I stood there, but eventually Dad came out to the garage and let the jack down to a point of balance and we got it chocked. Didn't really tell me I was stupid either...

Cool. We all did stupid things but it was always nice when our Dad's didn't feel then need to tell us so when we already knew it!

- - - Updated - - -

That brings back memories of mis spent youth. When I had to replace the trans on the old fury. I got it done using a bottle jack barley large enough to get a tire changed out. Barely had room to slide the large part of the housing under the car. Then slide next to the trans and slowly work your way under the trans by sheer brute determination and get it on your chest. Next was the fun part of not only bench pressing the trans up, but holding with one arm and knees to get the angle right, while you fumble to get that first bolt started. This whole time the trans is getting slammed into the hump while the bottle jack does its job of keeping the car in air.

I pulled and replaced my 4 speeds several times with a similar method but much better support and clearance Ha Ha. It was awesome to have brute strength back then .. wish I still had it .. my car would be back on the road already if I was still that fit.

Wow, there's been some great information provided in this thread, and lots of accidents that thank god were not fatal . . . but they're all related to jack stands. I know, well DUH, read the title of the thread ! ! !

But, my question would be what about the movable wheels that can bolt to the cars to make them mobile ? ? Do you still feel a bit creepy on a creeper under the car then ? Do you feel safer then the car being on jack stands ? Should you still put the jack under the car "just in case" ? ? ?

Curious - I'm about to get my car moved over to casters . . . curious about the groups thoughts on the topic . . . Thanks in advance.

When I work under the car, which still scares me at times, I also leave the floor jack under the car along with the stands. Lately, depending on what I'm working on , I will put ramps under the tires, then stands, and the floor jack.

I haven't had any trouble with jack stands but ramps I have. I purchased some new hard plastic type ramps from the parts store. They were rated at 3000lbs each if I remember correctly. 1 of the ramps did ok but the one on the other side had a huge bulge on the side when I pulled onto them. As I started to back off part of the side blew out & cracked. I took them back because it was the 1st time they had been used. They accepted my return but the salesperson insisted I had overloaded them. The car was a Ford Taurus by the way.

I have had an experience with a failer before when I was young and dumb! these are my jack stands now 12" x 12" oak blocks
and 4" x 4" blocks. Takes a little getting use to but I certainly don't worry that the car will come crashing down while im under it
pushing and pulling on something.criterion rv8 030.JPG

I haven't had any trouble with jack stands but ramps I have. I purchased some new hard plastic type ramps from the parts store. They were rated at 3000lbs each if I remember correctly. 1 of the ramps did ok but the one on the other side had a huge bulge on the side when I pulled onto them. As I started to back off part of the side blew out & cracked. I took them back because it was the 1st time they had been used. They accepted my return but the salesperson insisted I had overloaded them. The car was a Ford Taurus by the way.

The challenge to plastic ramps is getting up on them, without them sliding or getting damaged, or both. Best on a textured surface like your driveway, not smooth concrete like your garage. 4wd helps.

Auto Transport Service
Back