• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JamieZ's 68 Charger

gotta love that white interior with the blue, beautiful

Car has been back in the garage for about a month, but the weather has been pretty bad. I decided to do a quick little project and switch out the positive battery cable. The old one was pretty corroded, not much left of the bolt.

positive_zpsvusepig5.jpg

If you've got a spare hundred, you really should go for a repro positive cable.

If you've got a spare hundred, you really should go for a repro positive cable.
Maybe down the road. For now my Charger budget is going to a Firm Feel steering box so the white knuckle driving experience is not due to steering.

The past weekend I went to the Junction Auto Mopar show. I try to go every year and it seems to just keep getting better. I took the Challenger because she is much more roadworthy than the Charger. You can see some photos here (there are duplicates as I didn't get around to cleaning out the HDR ones yet):

http://s817.photobucket.com/user/j_zahler/library/Junction 2016

But on the Charger front, the Firm Feel stage 3 box showed up:

I started pulling the column, but couldn't get the roll pin out with what I had on hand so I ordered a set of pin punches. Hopefully I'll have more progress next week.

Went to a car show last night with my dad and mentioned I needed some roll pin punches. Turns out he had a set and picked them up today when I went over to visit for Father's Day (yay Dads).

Knocked the pin out no problem. Quickly discovered some issues with the coupler/pot. Turns out there was no spring in it (or the spring disintegrated). It's an older model without the small dowel so there wasn't much holding it on. Anyhow I took it all out and cleaned it.

I've got a rebuild kit but I'll do that when I am ready for reassembly.

Swapped all the hardware over to the new box and installed a new pitman arm to the new box.

Tried to reinstall it both from the bottom. It's heavy and I tired out pretty quick, so I ended up giving up for the night. Tried to remove the battery and tray and install it from the top. That was easier but I still couldn't get it. So on to plan c. I'm going to remove the starter and try again. I think that will give me the clearance I need to get it in from the bottom.

Only way is from the bottom....let the weight fall against the k frame...hold it from the bottom and get one bolt started

Last week I pulled the starter out:

Didn't have time to get under the car for a few days so I cleaned it and repainted the cover.

This morning I got up early and crawled under there and stabbed the steering box back home. It was much much easier without the starter in the way. Now it's just torquing everything back to spec and reassembly.

It's been a while since I posted but I haven't been idle. Once the steering box was back in, my dad came over and helped me get the steering coupler back on. My coupler doesn't have the dowel, and I have heard trying to get the coupler to stay together just by bending the tabs on the cap is quite a pain. So I opted to add the later clamp/retainer piece to hold it all together.

After that I put the column back in, tightened everything up and filled it up with power steering fluid. I drove the car for a bit and for the first time since I owned it, the steering fluid remained where it was supposed to! Everything is much tighter and more responsive. Seems like the alignment is a bit off, shouldn't be too hard to correct now that turning the wheel actually does something.

This weekend I managed to sneak out between the rain storms and give the car a proper wash and wax. The sky darkened up pretty quick, so I pulled it in before I got to the glass, chrome, and wheels. But this is the first time in a few years that it's had a shine on it, instead of just a bunch of dust. Even if it is just in the garage.

Finished the cleaning and took it to a local cruise night. Probably the cleanest it's been since I've owned it...definitely the best mechanical condition:

Here it is at the Wheels and Wings show at a local airport. It's right next to my Dad's 1974 Impala

Last edited:
Took some fall photos of both cars:

Challenger

And the Charger

Auto Transport Service
Back