• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jason's 68 coronet build

Made some progress. Drivers side glass is in a functional. All the weather stripping is in. Drivers door latch is reinstalled. I have to paint the strike plates before the can be installed.
20160828_115002.jpg
20160828_114926.jpg
20160828_114716.jpg
20160828_114716.jpg

HaHa, you have the same "drop light" that I am using :)

She is looking great.

I am dreaming of the day I can start putting the windows back in. I have all the weatherstrip and parts to rebuild the rear quarters as well as the channel felts and whiskers.

HaHa, you have the same "drop light" that I am using :)

She is looking great.

I am dreaming of the day I can start putting the windows back in. I have all the weatherstrip and parts to rebuild the rear quarters as well as the channel felts and whiskers.
That drop light is multi purpose. 4ft shop light mounted to a 1x4. Works as a side light for painting and great for light working inside the car. By pure dumb luck if fit perfectly across the engine bay of the wife's mini van when I had to replace the oil cooler lines!

20160828_215613.jpg
Went with the popular approach to installing the trunk weatherstrip. Had a couple of broken close pins that came in handy for the corners.

20160828_215613.jpg

I've gone MIA in this section lately but wow is this one a beauty! You've done a great job on her. Good luck with the progress

Ok themechanic asked to see my method on door glass install. Here goes. First I installed the vent windows and aligned them with the drip rail.
20160819_235835.jpg

Next I replaced the door window to quarter window weatherstrip. The old one just pulls out. Clean the mounting grove. The new ones said to slide them in from the end. That does not work as there are 3 locking tabs in the track you can not slide past. I laid the glass outside down, then laid the weatherstrip in the lower part of the mounting track. Started on one end with a small flat screwdriver and compressed the weatherstrip and slid it into the upper part of the track. This worked very well. Worked my way to the other end. I also have a spray bottle of soapy water that I used as lube.
20160827_144753.jpg

20160828_220856.jpg
20160828_220914.jpg
After that I installed the front channel slides. Remove the old ones by pulling with a little twist on the clips. Note that the slide does not go to the top of the glass. I marked mine with tape for reference.

Slide the new ones on and drilled the new holes by HAND with a 3/16 bit. After I had them located I used a hole punch to make the actual holes.
20160828_221520.jpg
20160828_221656.jpg

Trim off the extra at the bottom. Do not discard this piece. Next I lubed the sides with dish soap.
20160828_222949.jpg

20160828_235259.jpg
The extra piece that was cut off worked great as a spacer between the door glass and regulator track. Just use the center and trim off the ends. Make a notch at the rivet.

20160828_222330.jpg
20160828_222347.jpg
Next I separated the top of the vent window frame. There are 2 screws. 1 hold the rubber seal. The other holds the frame together.

After the screws are out pull the top of the vent window frame apart and shim it so the entire track is exposed.
20160828_222545.jpg
20160828_222529.jpg

The rear window track needs to be removed from the door. It is easier if you take the mounting bracket with the track as 1 piece. There is 1 bolt at the top of the door and 1 on the inside lower corner. Next use plenty of dish soap and slide the front slide into the front track. Be very careful starting the plastic slide into the track. 2 sets of hands is a good idea. I did it by myself, just go slow and make sure that the slides are lined up well. Once the slide starts in the track slowly feed it down just far enough you can remove the shims from the vent window. Use lots of lube! This is the key. After the shims are out, you can slide the rear track up the window and line up your bolt holes. Install the bolts hand tight. Lower the window all the way down and install the cat wiskers. Don't forget the little felt strip on the outside back by the window frame. Now push the window up and install the regulator. Adjust your track and stops,
20160828_232451.jpg
and bam your done.

Perfect! I am working on reinstalling my windows and can use any pointers.
Keep up your good work.

Ha! That looks a lot easier than the way the manual says to do it. I did it the hard way.

Nice job.

Auto Transport Service
Back