• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jegs 3" exhaust install on my 69 GTX

threewood

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:49 AM
Reaction score
I decided to put this together in one thread.
So I am swapping out my 2.5" exhaust for a Jegs 3" kit made for B Bodies. Also going in are a set of offset/centered Dynomax Ultra Flo 17221 straight through welded mufflers.

The 2.5" kit needed modifications and so does this one. I'm running a set of Jegs ceramic coated long tube headers. This kit is "header back" so the length pretty good however they assume you are using a longer muffler. So I had to add a section of 3" pipe on both sides in order for the rear muffler outlet clamp to be directly below the hanger.

The over axle tubes are wrong and too long. The loop over the axle needs shortened a ton.

I started with the header pipes and worked back. I scavenged the old o2 bung. Once the pipes were back to the mufflers I started on the H pipe.

20230602_100618.jpg

20230602_112136.jpg

20230603_145413.jpg

20230603_145428.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of cutting and welding.
20230603_170932.jpg

The over axle pipe was way too long and tall. You can see the old pipes I took off compared to the pieces they sent me.
20230603_151853.jpg

Here it is cut and fit.
20230603_190709.jpg

20230603_145458.jpg

:thumbsup:

Sounds and looks good.

On our charger we used a 3" kit from summit also their x pipe kit. We used big body dynomax mufflers which caused issues clearing the floor on the front end of the muffler. Has a bit of a note in the exhaust sounds like a "shrill" that took a bit of getting used to from the x pipe. It's been a few years but overall the summit stuff fit pretty well. The X pipe needed substantial cutting and fitting. But we were pretty happy with the fit in the back.
I would buy both again from Summit if I were doing it again.

My final conclusion after doing exhaust and rebuilding the six speed auto out of my pickup was...We HAVE to buy a lift!
Not 18 anymore.Lol

Sounds and looks good.

On our charger we used a 3" kit from summit also their x pipe kit. We used big body dynomax mufflers which caused issues clearing the floor on the front end of the muffler. Has a bit of a note in the exhaust sounds like a "shrill" that took a bit of getting used to from the x pipe. It's been a few years but overall the summit stuff fit pretty well. The X pipe needed substantial cutting and fitting. But we were pretty happy with the fit in the back.
I would buy both again from Summit if I were doing it again.

My final conclusion after doing exhaust and rebuilding the six speed auto out of my pickup was...We HAVE to buy a lift!
Not 18 anymore.Lol
I had plenty of room around the mufflers, at least 2" on top next to the floor. The tightest fit is from the header to the crossmember. I had to shorten the pass side to get it close. The driver side pipe goes through at an angle.

I was out there this morning and clearanced the tight angles that were barely in contact with the crossmember. No issues now.

Underneath shot and two shots from the side on the ground. I think it tucked up nice.
20230604_180527.jpg
20230604_181137.jpg
20230604_181144.jpg

10 hrs. is not bad , how much would you charge to do the same job on another RR ?
I would help someone for food and beer only. I don't think I would take on a job like this for a fee. Without a lift, it isn't much fun rolling around on the ground lol. Total in parts alone was about $630

Very nice!
People dont realize how involved that can become. I made a complete 3" system out of mandrel bends for my 69 Charger on my back w/ the car on jack stands so I feel your pain. It was artwork when completed but definitely took some time to get right.

Just want to add that driving down the highway at 65 mph it is no louder than the 2.5" very tame in my opinion. No drone. Conversation is easy.

Nice. I did some work on a clients 1970 Roadrunner a few years back. And his had the 3" TTI stuff, headers and all. Very,,,,VERY ,,,,,tight fit as it goes over the rear axle

Auto Transport Service
Back