• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John S. Rehberg, 8/31/1956 to 9/14/2022, Dad you may be gone but you're always with me...

Y'know, this site drives me nuts sometimes with how easy it is to lose track of threads that one would
like to keep track of...
This being one of those threads for me, until today that is.
I'm all caught up now Nick. I'll do my best to continue to keep up with this one. It's important.
God bless you and yours (and all our departed Dads!), my friend.
- Ed
I can’t say it enough. The community created on this forum, especially with guys who have a heart even remotely close to one like yours Ed, has been an unbelievable source of encouragement. Never saw you guys coming in my life, and no way did I ever expect to be part of some online forum. Grateful to be a part of that. If you’re reading this, anyone at all, thank you.

You can't think about what you don't have, life is for the living. Your meeting with him will come one day, find comfort in that. I do.....
You’re another one Ulli…keep being you man. Appreciate the heck outta you. Thank you sir.

You’re another one Ulli…keep being you man. Appreciate the heck outta you. Thank you sir.
I'm a realist and have learned the hard way, so you don't have to drag yourself down, many of us have all ready paid that price and already done that part for you. It's called paying it forward. Don't hurry, you're needed here now to help enjoy what you've built for your family and friends. The cycle of life takes care of the rest when the time is right, it's not right for you now. Be safe!! Ulli

Last edited:
I’ve got to say, I enjoy reading his daily sayings and quotes. I also enjoy Mr. Tns stories and the like. Some good people here!

mine pop passed on dec 31 2019 , but he's still with me everyday , and he's still shacking his head at some of the things i do . lol , thanks pop .

I need to focus more on being grateful for the time I DID HAVE with him while he was here.
That's a great attitude, and one I fully agree with. Sometimes we too quickly just think of the loss without thinking about the time we had. :thumbsup:

In the late ‘70s dad had a ‘57 Chevy. Can’t recall if it was a 2DR or a 4DR. But I remember it was red. A story that sticks out to me is that dad traded that ‘57 Chevy PLUS his $2k Kenwood stereo system for a vintage Harley Davidson. Within a couple of weeks of having that bike the transmission dropped out of it going across the Stutson Street Bridge in Rochester, NY. Dad walked away from that bike deal much more keen on being more diligent when purchasing vehicles. He became far more thorough at the “tire kicking” process going forward. I called mom today to verify the accuracy of my recollection before I posted this one. Hard to believe I was just 5 or 6 years old and can still remember those details.
(c/o google)
View attachment 1359343

He also had a ‘58 Chevy at one point. I recall absolutely nothing about that car.
(c/o google
In the late ‘70s dad had a ‘57 Chevy. Can’t recall if it was a 2DR or a 4DR. But I remember it was red. A story that sticks out to me is that dad traded that ‘57 Chevy PLUS his $2k Kenwood stereo system for a vintage Harley Davidson. Within a couple of weeks of having that bike the transmission dropped out of it going across the Stutson Street Bridge in Rochester, NY. Dad walked away from that bike deal much more keen on being more diligent when purchasing vehicles. He became far more thorough at the “tire kicking” process going forward. I called mom today to verify the accuracy of my recollection before I posted this one. Hard to believe I was just 5 or 6 years old and can still remember those details.
(c/o google)
View attachment 1359343

He also had a ‘58 Chevy at one point. I recall absolutely nothing about that car.
(c/o google)
View attachment 1359348
You aren’t missing anything. My first car was a 58 Delray 235 3 on the tree. That coil spring suspension wallowed in side winds . My friends tri 5’s handled way better.

Y'know, this site drives me nuts sometimes with how easy it is to lose track of threads that one would
like to keep track of...
Oh man! Same here and I'm supposed to one of the few that's supposed to make sure things run smoothly here by keeping up with the threads lol

You aren’t missing anything. My first car was a 58 Delray 235 3 on the tree. That coil spring suspension wallowed in side winds . My friends tri 5’s handled way better.
Never have liked coil springs on the rear of any vehicle.....leaf springs always seemed to have better stability. Yeah, coil springs seem to ride better but that uneasy wallowing feel made me stay away from them.

...235 3 on the tree...
Dad's '53 Chevy, '56 Chevy and his '68 C10 were all 3-on-the-tree. I know the '53 and '56 both had 235's but not sure what I6 was in the C10? Maybe a 250?

...My first car was a 58 Delray...
that '58 Chevy and my first car, a '59 Ford, had some similarities IMO...
My '59 was a wagon though(see posts 56-58 in this thread).

1705325390721.png
1705325422789.png

Never have liked coil springs on the rear of any vehicle.....leaf springs always seemed to have better stability. Yeah, coil springs seem to ride better but that uneasy wallowing feel made me stay away from them.
It does take a few bucks to make them fire like a cannon.

I’m right there with ya, lost my dad 1-5-16 and think about him all the time. I still have his house and his shop full of his tools and stuff, now with my tools and parts mixed in. I keep running across pieces of paper in his chicken scratch with a person or car along with a phone number, usually revolving around a studebaker or something equally obscure. My dad was a lot like yours, he had a ton of cars throughout his life, especially in his early adulthood. My grandfather had a Sunoco station in Canton Ct in the 60s and my dad worked there as a young adult. He told me of the countless rambler Americans he had as winter beaters, and a handful of 58 chevies with 348s all purchased for pocket change from folks who felt they weren’t worth the repair bill. Thankfully I have his last favorite car, a 66 Chrysler 300. I spent quite a bit of time tinkering and maintaining it with him and driving around town together. Im glad I have it.

Oh, and your talk of the 50th birthday reminded me of dads. We had a big party for gram(dad’s mom), my dad, and my brother. They were 75, 50, and 25 respectively in the same year, it was a good time that I hadn’t thought about in quite a while, so thanks for that.
Travis..

Auto Transport Service
Back