• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John S. Rehberg, 8/31/1956 to 9/14/2022, Dad you may be gone but you're always with me...

funny thing about the rambler american , pop had one as a loaner car for the body shop . his second street shop and him having fun . dearly missed .

DSC03919.JPG

image7.jpg

image10.jpg

image11.jpg

My dad loved the ramblers as snow cars. He said they didn’t have enough power to spin the tires so they went where ever you pointed them
Travis..

I’m right there with ya, lost my dad 1-5-16 and think about him all the time. I still have his house and his shop full of his tools and stuff, now with my tools and parts mixed in. I keep running across pieces of paper in his chicken scratch with a person or car along with a phone number, usually revolving around a studebaker or something equally obscure. My dad was a lot like yours, he had a ton of cars throughout his life, especially in his early adulthood. My grandfather had a Sunoco station in Canton Ct in the 60s and my dad worked there as a young adult. He told me of the countless rambler Americans he had as winter beaters, and a handful of 58 chevies with 348s all purchased for pocket change from folks who felt they weren’t worth the repair bill. Thankfully I have his last favorite car, a 66 Chrysler 300. I spent quite a bit of time tinkering and maintaining it with him and driving around town together. Im glad I have it.

Oh, and your talk of the 50th birthday reminded me of dads. We had a big party for gram(dad’s mom), my dad, and my brother. They were 75, 50, and 25 respectively in the same year, it was a good time that I hadn’t thought about in quite a while, so thanks for that.
Travis..

funny thing about the rambler american , pop had one as a loaner car for the body shop . his second street shop and him having fun . dearly missed .

View attachment 1592177

View attachment 1592178

View attachment 1592179

View attachment 1592180

You guys made my day by sharing memories of your dad :thumbsup:

Speaking as a dad myself of (3) grown children...
I never saw coming the impact we have as fathers in the lives of those the Good Lord placed in our care.
Keep doing your thing all you dads(finger pointed here at me too).
We make more of a difference than we can even see or comprehend right now.

Well, late to the party , as usual... "Day late and a dollar short" as my dad would say. But I read thru this thread so far and would like to publicly thank Mr PlymCrazy for posting it. Not only do I just enjoy these types of 'personal history' things, but I appreciate the honour and affection he holds for his father and this is a neat tribute to that, and to the man. Thanx.

This really hits home to me as my father and I were very close. We didn't always agree on things... but we were close. dad was and is always my DAD, but as I got older , grew up - as grown up as I reckon I'll ever get - moved out, got married and such, dad became my friend on top of everything else. We talked all the time, went running around together and did stuff. It may have been a decade after his passing before I stopped catching myself DAILY grabbing a phone and starting to dial him to tell him about something I just saw or read... Not a day goes by , and not many hours in fact, that I don't think of me Pater.

Dad was a car guy, small 'c'. Oh, he knew a lot about them, could fix anything and was interested in cars, but he wasn't a hardcore racer or anything. He was an engineer of some note, and understood vehicles. Dad appreciated solid construction, reliability and low NVH. He was pretty practical, being a child of the 'depression' in a very depressed area. Occasionally he had some interesting stuff as you will see, but mostly solid sedans and pickups. Those here who are Mopar or No car, might as well keep moving; dad was NOT a Chrysler person. Only owned two in his life and one of them was objectively the worst car -actually pickup - to ever emanate from from Dodge. this, of course, is one of the things he and I disagreed on... :)

As I posted in the thread Mr eldubb440 started on old family photos - which I thought was great and should have really taken off - I have photos of every car [and motorcycle] my father ever owned. I did a picture - all matted and framed - of them at his 50 yr anniversary of driving. [ 1993] It looks like this -
L1010012.JPG

So if youre really curious, hopefully you can pick them out of this image. I don't have all the photos in 'e format' tho to post. I do have a few and may post them and maybe give a little background on it.
Unfortunately, my father passed from this mortal coil, suddenly and unexpectedly, just a couple of years after I did this, adding two more cars to the bunch, only weeks after buying his new 96 Z28. Gone way too soon and missed dearly every day.

OK... on to the list!

32 Chevrolet coupe
36 Ford Tudor sedan
39 Ford Tudor sedan
51 Chevrolet
50 Ford
55 ford - dad's first new car
57 Ford - mom's first car bought new for her by dad. Of course, they weren't 'Mom and dad' then, just John and Jean...
40 Ford Tudor sedan - Mom and dad [still not mom and dad] became a two car family. Dad drove the 40 to work and errands, taking the back seat out to haul hay for his horse...
58 Pontiac Star Chief
50 Buick
53 Buick
61 VW
62 Ford Falcon Ranchero
64 Chevrolet Impala
62 Corvair
66 Corvette
69 Impala
69 Chevy pickup
70 Ford Galaxie
73 "chevy' LUV...
75 Chevrolet Silverado pickup C20
78 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme - the only car dad ever ordered
72 Datsun 510 that was my fault ; may expand later
78 Ford Fiesta S
79 Dodge D50 Sport - the Nuclear Truklet!
82 Olds Cutlass
81 Ford F100
84 Buick LeSabre
85 Dodge 4WD pickup
85 Ford F150 XLT Lariat 4WD
89 Chevrolet Silverado K1500
86 Ford F150 - that was actually mine that I ordered that dad had for a few months
91 Lincoln Town Car
91 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Z71
79 Porsche 911 SC
96 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

The 32 Chevy
32 chevrolet.jpg

The 32 Chevy was not 'technically' dad's car - it was the 'family car' , but dad was the one that drove it 90% of the time, and he considered it his 'first car'. Dad started driving with regularity at 13; hey, its rural SE Oklahoma.... we don't need no stinking license... In fact, he never bothered to get a driver license until he was in college, and then only to open his first checking account.

36 ford.jpg

This is dad's 36 Ford. The picture is before he had it painted - see the primer spots? I'm pretty sure this is the only car he ever had painted, unlike PlyCrazy's dad! The car was dark green, sort of a non - drab olive drab. Dad had worked several part time jobs - including enlisting in the national Guard - and had saved the $25 it cost to have the car painted in a new type of paint... metallic! It was dark green also. Note too the swingin bumper guards and headlight shields from OTASCO! ;)

Last edited:
On to the 39 Ford... which I was POSITIVE I had a scan of on the computer. can't seem to find it now. :(
Anyway, it was a 39 Standard Tudor. This is the car dad met mom in, tho, they werent dad and mom yet...
Dad was going to Oklahoma A&M college - now OSU - and was commuting most weeks back and forth to Stillwater. He took riders to defray expenses and hopefully make a couple of bucks. Anyway, dad was starting Grad school and took a couple of Summer courses. My mom - who lived in another little town some 13 miles away - had graduated high school a year early and was going to start at A&M. She decided to start in summer school. Mom didnt have a car and really didnt like driving - still doesnt - so her dad was looking for a good way to get her to Stillwater.
Grapevine had it that there was this guy who was taking riders back and forth from the area. Further investigation by her parents revealed who it was. They, naturally, wanted to check the character and such of the young man... Word was that he was very responsible, very serious, not given to vice and already in Grad school, hence several years older. His mother had a sterling reputation. His father... well, his mother was the salt of the earth! ;)
Arrangements were made.
Now, to this day, my mother claims that she becomes car sick if she rides in a back seat... yeah, uh huh...so anyway, she got stuck in the front seat, and being slight of stature, was placed in the middle, right next to dad. Smooth move mom.... ;) There were usually 6 people in that car, and if you know how small those cars actually are, you will understand that everyone had to be on pretty good terms to ride some 3 and a half to 4 hours each way in one. Pops always had a special fondness for that car.

edit - found the photo
39 ford standard.jpg

Last edited:
dad3.jpg

Dad and 51 Chevy.
dad didn't like 'Stovebolt' engines, but he got this car from his friend Bobby M whose rich uncle owned City Chevrolet in OKC. They had taken it in on trade and were in it for nothing, so Bobby came by it cheap. Bob couldn't deal with that many doors, so he offered it to my dad for next to nothing; too good of a deal to pass up. Car was only2 or 3 years old at that time and dad thought he was walkin in tall cotton!

About the second time that Stovebolt needed 'inserts' / rod rebuilding - dad put a lot of miles on his cars pretty quickly - he got rid of that Chevrolet and got a 50 Ford. It was a light tan 4 door sedan. Don't think I have a scan of it on this computer - least ways I cant find it - but you know what a generic beige 50 Ford looks like... >p

Spring of 55, dad graduated [again] and moved to Tulsa to start his job at Amoco , nee Pan American , nee Standard of Indiana, nee Stanlin. After a few months, he headed down to Fred Jones Ford
fred jones ford 1955.jpg

and bought his first new car, a 55 Ford Customline 2 dr Sedan.
55 ford.jpg

(photo apparently taken, or at least developed , some 13 months later)

Couple years later, mom and dad - still just John and Jean then - were out puttering around and doing inexpensive things like most folks just married some 12 months or so earlier do - drove downtown. And dad being dad, was stopping, looking in the windows of the car dealers. Big mistake...
Mom saw this 57 Ford and just fell in love with it. Now this was unusual, cause mom always had - and still does - look at cars as a necessary appliance to get you places. But she REALLY liked this Ford.
So again, dad being dad, bought it for her.
Mom had never owned a car before and drove sparingly, but now she had her very own brand new 57 Ford Fairlane.
57 ford.jpg

What with mom - not mom yet - getting a job at the Texaco refinery routing rail cars, dad now needed another car for him to drive to work and such. Dad bought a dark blue 40 Ford tudor sedan. Mom called it BlueBonnet. Dad took the back seat out and used it as a pickup truck to take hay and feed to his horse. Dont have a photo of that car scanned to the computer, but you can visualise a dark blue 40 Ford with one of those ugly funky visors above the windshield...

Last edited:
You had to know my dad to kinda understand this next car. Dad was, um, lets say... 'fiscally responsible'. But dad also had a thing for NVH and good suspension. And that 57 Ford drove him nuts; he hated that thing. Ford did something different with their front end and the steering was completely different from even his 55 , and dad said that thing was awful. He did everything he knew to do, took it back for warranty more than once and just generally obsessed on that car, but could NOT get it to steer or 'handle' right. [I know...handling is a relative/subjective term and not usually used in the same sentence as 57 Ford...] Drove him crazy. Said other 57 Fords drove crappy too. Really bugged him. Bad design. And he hated bad design. So, very much unlike my dad, he said 'enough!' , prepared to take the financial hickey and started looking for a new 'family car' , tho the 'family' part was several months away.
The 59s had just been introduced and he went looking, tho NOT at any Ford products.
He wandered into Cashon Pontiac on 11th looking to maybe buy a new Catalina 2 dr sedan. He drove a couple, looked at a few, found a base model that he thought he could afford and started dealing. [as an aside - you do NOT want to be on the other side of the desk trying to make a car deal with my dad...] He and the salesman danced around but couldn't get to Dad's number; when Dad had a number in mind, that was all he was going. Period. Anyway, they got within $25, but dad wouldn't budge. Nor would the salesman. So dad started out the door...
The general manager had been in his office and had overheard all of this. When he saw dad walking, he trotted up to dad, introduced himself and asked if dad might be interested in a top-of-the-line Star Chief 4 door hardtop for LESS money than he had offered for the Catalina?
Dad was interested.
Only one problem... the car was a brand new, year old 58 model. Seems that the dealer had received this car off a rail shipment at the beginning of the LAST model year. it was a beautiful car - bright white with ice blue 'coves' , gorgeous tritone blue leather interior and an uprated engine with 2 fours and Hydramatic. Power steering, power brakes, most every option available except... no a/c.
Seems the car had been put on the wrong rail car; it was supposed to go to Wisconsin, but landed in Tulsa Oklahoma, humidity capital of the world. Most cars still didn't have a/c, but no one was gonna buy a top of the line expensive car without it here. The dealer called GM, told them of the problem, but the general decided it would cost more than it was worth to re-ship the car and told Cashon to just keep it. Gave 'em a heck of a deal on it. But Cashon had been unable to move it. Enter Dad.
They went way out back and looked at the car - it was dirty from sitting almost a year, but was indeed brand new. They drove it around - dad liked it. then they started talking numbers...
dad beat the guy to death on it cause he could 'smell blood'. They reached a tentative agreement and then dad added, "of course, that would be AFTER you install FACTORY air in it, right?"
Poor manager swallowed hard, said 'yeah, I can put a Mk IV underdash unit in it for you' with sweat pouring from his forehead.
Dad said' No, I would need factory air - this is too nice a car to hang something under that beautiful dashboard.'
manager declined.
No problem - dad shook his hand, said good night and went home.
Next morning, dealership's owner called and agreed to the deal; they wanted that car GONE. Done deal.
Dad and mom drove the car for a few weeks while the Parts Department ordered in every single little piece to make the car factory air. Every. Single. Little bitty. Piece.
Once all the parts were in, he took it in to the Service dept. They said they would have to have it for a week or so since they had to tear half of the bleedin car apart. dad needed a loaner, so the sales manager gave dad his personal 'Company Car - a 58 Bonneville convertible with Tri Power to drive. :) We have a photo of that car also, but I dont have a scanned one of my parent's unit. So, with 58 Pontiacs being slightly esoteric, I shall follow Mr Plym Crazy's example and go find a similar car off the www for a visual.

image.jpg

Just turn the turquoise parts Ice Blue Metallic and narrow the whitewalls a bit and you know what our 58 Poncho looked like

I was nearly born in that 58 Pontiac.
Being the romantic that I am, I'd like to think I was conceived there, but knowing my parents, I doubt it seriously...:rolleyes:

Anyway, several months after dad bringing that huge hulking Poncho home, mom and dad, became, "Mom and Dad". And not too long after that, one of the guys at the Lab had a super slick, low mile 50 buick for sale. It had belonged to his elderly mother who had quite driving and was cheap, so the blue 40 Ford was replaced with that as dad's daily. A year or so later, same situation came up and dad replaced the green 50 buick with an even uglier grey 53. I dont remember the cars, but Dad loved them. Said he really liked the Straight 8 engine; smooth and enough torque to pull your house off the foundation. Said they rode super smooth and there was enough room in the back seat for 'a whole tribe of Ubangis to live'. Meh.
Memory is that the 50 was a "3 holer" and the 53 a "4 holer". That nomenclature will mean something to those who know old buicks. Whatever. Theres photos of them in the original post if you care, but why would you? Ugly, and a buick. [insert Smiley rolling his eyes and trying not to barf]

"And now for something completely different..."

Not too long after the grey buick, one of the guys at the Lab decided to take a transfer/promotion to an overseas position. He had this almost new 61 VW Beetle that he wasnt going to take with him. Being the fiscally responsible guy that my dad was, this sounded good on the petrol front and the engineering intrigued him. So dad peddled the buick and brought home the Volkswagen.
Before too long, the VW set itself on fire, as many of them did. Mom hated that car. Believe it or not, I remember it. It looked just like this one - without all the auction stickers naturally. And with a charred decklid when it was sold.
Mike-Mileto.jpg

The VW went to another home with someone at the lab and dad decided he needed a pickup. Again, someone at PanAm came thru with a late model low mile example. Of course you can argue whether a 62 Ford Falcon Ranchero qualifies as a pickup or not, but dad sure used it like one. Poor thing...dad overloaded that vehicle so many times it ain't even funny. Even as a little kid, I can distinctly remember that poor little ranchero sitting with a nose up attitude of AT LEAST 20 ° with way too much dirt in its bed. Never gave us any problem tho. Good little unit - straight 6 , 3 on the tree and nothing but a heater and an AM radio. Off white with a brown interior, it looked a lot like this -
a2-3-630x385.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of Volkswagens, brings to mind a story. I think it's hilarious, y'all may not, but I'm gonna tell it anyway.

My dad was a truly unique individual. Most people upon meeting him thought him a ‘stuffed shirt’. His IQ was, literally, off the chart, [obviously your humble scribe did NOT take after him there…] and he was ALWAYS thinking, hence, he didn’t come across as a light hearted, fun guy. However, he actually had a real keen sense of humour that showed through once you got to know him. It was very cerebral though.

In the early to mid 60s, Volkswagens began to get fairly popular. They seemed to appeal to a pretty narrow demographic; actually two distinct and different segments of society. Mainly, they were bought by self important deluded pseudo intellectual leftists who wanted to eschew the trappings of vulgar western capitalism and make their sociopolitical statement vis a vis conspicuous non-conspicuous consumption. Whilst most of these types resided in major metropolitan areas and owned no car atall, those in other areas who needed transportation seemed to seek Beetles out as anti status symbol status symbols. Somewhat like prius herders today.

The other group that tended to buy new Bugs were the uber pragmatists. These folk tended to pursue a life free of aesthetic value with practical economy their idol. Austerity, even when there was no economic reason, was their raison d’etre. This crowd also thought themselves intellectually superior and felt their cleverness in simplicity and monetary economy vaulted them above the teeming masses of the great unwashed for some reason. This is the bunch Bill Cosby describes on the ‘200 MPH’ record about his purchase of a Cobra.

Lots of mid tier technicians, accountants and statistical mathematicians in this pack.

There were a few of those at Amoco.

One in particular was a fellow with whom my dad had a friendly business acquaintance. He purchased a new Beetle and immediately set about making a real pest of himself continuously extolling the virtue and economy of his new machine, ofttimes making haughty, disparaging remarks about the inferiority of others choice of transport. He harped incessantly about his petrol mileage, so Dad had an idea.

Bill the BugMan had made it clear that he only needed to fill the tiny tank in the wunderwagen from Wolfsburg on a certain day each week, so every Monday morning, me Pater brought a couple of one gallon cans of gasoline to work. He added the extra petrol to Bills car for 6 weeks. In that time, the bragging grew longer and louder by the day. Bills self satisfaction ballooned to where he could barely fit his head through the door to enter the room and tell you how smart he was for buying such an amazing little bit of mechanical kit.

Then, Dad decided to get his gasoline back.

So Monday, Pops brought his cans and a length of hose to the office.

Bill went ape. The first week, he just got quiet, obviously thinking he somehow had made a mathematical error. When queried about the disposition of his car late in the workweek, ‘Oh, its fine’ was the answer.

The second week that dad retrieved his petroleum distillate, Bill was quiet, but Pops noticed the car wasn’t in the parking lot by Wednesday.

‘Wheres your car Bill? Not a problem is there?’

‘Oh, just a little warranty adjustment.’

By the third week, Bill was a ‘bit cross’.

In week four, Bill had to break down and admit that his gas mileage was in the toilet and he couldn’t understand why. He admitted to taking the car back to the dealer twice by then and demanding a new carburetor after the rebuild of the original. He was so desperate that he even asked my Dads [mechanical] advice.

Bill was despondent in week 5. He stopped going on coffee break so he wouldn’t have to talk about his car. Dad said he looked like he wasn’t sleeping well. Again the car disappeared from the lot.

Dad never did get all his gasoline back though, as he stopped after that. He felt sorry for the poor dealer and what they were having to go through with Mr G, as well as Volkswagens needless warranty cost. He even sorta felt sorry for Bill. The gas mileage suddenly stabilised and poor Bill was back to being happy. Sort of. He just could NOT figure out what in the world had happened to his little car…

And Dad never told him. Ever.

Auto Transport Service
Back