• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jumps forward at stoplight

Fuzzy Dice

Local time
1:50 AM
Reaction score
Like the title says, when I am in drive(and only in drive not park or neutral), the GTX has this little hiccup where it lurches/jumps forward a bit. Not too bad, but if i'm not first at a light or am close to a car i'm worried that I might end up accidentally kissing someone's bumper. I just had the main seal redone and the tranny was dropped. I'm thinking its a problem in the trans and not the engine itself but i'm not really sure at all. Any ideas or guidance gentlemen?

Last edited:
make sure trans is not over full.check in neutral when trans is warmed up.when was the last time you did a trans service?could be a fluid return problem,dirty fluid?

I know this might seem obvious, but do you have big feet? I wear a size 16 shoe, and sometimes if I don't put my foot on the brake pedal just right, it catches the accelerator pedal and will cause the car to lurch like that.

size 16?..........................lurch?......................or Lurch
lurch2.jpg

I'm guessing yours is an automatic and the TV rod is not correctly adjusted if the lurch forward happens right after you come to a stop. It's a late/forced 2-1 downshift cuz the innards aren't operating at the right pressure signal.

My 2cents worth anyway.

Good luck with your troubleshooting.

If I read the question correctly, I think you mean waiting at a light the car starts to push forward...if so, and power brakes, not enough vacuum at idle. Or, too much cam for not enough stall.

my friend has this problem in his truck. his is a phord so its expected, but his does it when he starts it even though its automatic

I'm guessing yours is an automatic and the TV rod is not correctly adjusted if the lurch forward happens right after you come to a stop. It's a late/forced 2-1 downshift cuz the innards aren't operating at the right pressure signal.

My 2cents worth anyway.

Good luck with your troubleshooting.

That's what I was thinking, Sometimes When I'm at a light, my truck will shift down and lurch forward. If I cared about the truck, I would try to fix it . But I only drive it maybe once a week.

Auto Transport Service
Back