• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

just a little off the back and sides please

I don't think anyone knows.:)
They all are gone.

rear window is held in with a butyl ribbon, I forget if it's 5/16 or 3/8....... glass is held up from sliding with the supplied rubber blocks placed between bottom of glass and dutchman panel

the above sheet metal question: plug weld everything together, if steel is contacting steel, weld it...... I can post pics of the area in question later

drill holes for clips and test fit trim, glass not needed.......the test fit is "trim to body"

Last edited:
Great.
Thanks.
Thread might be a nice sticky?
I'll (and others?) need to know where the clips go on the new Dutchman.
I've done cowl tops and they have indentations for the clips.

long overdue for an update...... took a little out of the middle too

20220302_163314.jpg
20220303_221214.jpg
20220323_160720.jpg
20220323_160727.jpg
20220408_222306.jpg

NICE !!!! Ya got paint on it. My hand's oil spot turn out ok? :rolleyes:

eldubb440, thanks SO much for posting all of your pictures; they are incredibly helpful! Terry

Right there with Terry, thanks for all your help eldubb440.

After many delays, quarters and rear window are repaired and narrowed trunk pan is 99% in.

PXL_20221014_120407006~2.jpg

After rereading the thread one more time, I wanted to be sure I understand about the drops. Sounds like the idea is to temporarily attach them to the quarters, then jack the rails in to place and tack the drops to the pan wherever they end up at. Sound right?

One other question, do you typically weld the drop to the quarter from the inside or outside?

Thanks,
Robbie

Right there with Terry, thanks for all your help eldubb440.

After many delays, quarters and rear window are repaired and narrowed trunk pan is 99% in.

View attachment 1357379

After rereading the thread one more time, I wanted to be sure I understand about the drops. Sounds like the idea is to temporarily attach them to the quarters, then jack the rails in to place and tack the drops to the pan wherever they end up at. Sound right?

One other question, do you typically weld the drop to the quarter from the inside or outside?

Thanks,
Robbie

the tail light panel fitting properly to the quarters will determine the "height" of the rails and trunk pan. I find this height and with the tail light panel screwed into place I screw the trunk pan to the wheel houses; Now you can fit the drops. You may have to tweek the drops a little, and maybe trim a something off the bottoms of the quarters. *** I find they usually make the wheel lip too wide and it may carry on through the bottom of the quarter**** I trim the wheel lip down to about 5/8 - 3/4"; this particular car, I think I removed about 1/2" from all of it; what ever it takes to make the fit of the drop to the lower quarter look right.

to attach the drops, I drill my plug weld holes in the trunk pan flange and weld from the gas tank side; as it is difficult to get the welder and a grinder on the other side

where the drops attach to the quarter; I drill my plug holes in the drops and weld on the inside........ when executed properly, the plug welds will look like spot welds on the bottom of the quarter........ i grind and dress all these welds on the "weld side" where I can

nice to see a few members walking a mile in my shoes lmao

so sick of 68-70s...... now I have a 67 GTX that will get most of the same treatment, kinda pumped to work on something different

so sick of 68-70s...... now I have a 67 GTX that will get most of the same treatment, kinda pumped to work on something different
Can't wait to see pics from the GTX!

Thanks for the detailed description of the process. Planning to test fit it all this weekend, might have a few more questions.

And really appreciate the welding advice, I was really hoping it was doable from inside out as I wasn't too keen to plug weld upside down.

Can't wait to see pics from the GTX!

Thanks for the detailed description of the process. Planning to test fit it all this weekend, might have a few more questions.

And really appreciate the welding advice, I was really hoping it was doable from inside out as I wasn't too keen to plug weld upside down.
Well, not as smooth as I had hoped but at least not a disaster.

I ended up needing to have my wife stand in the trunk to actually lower the pan slightly to get it to line up (should have gotten a picture of that).

Drop on the driver side lined up pretty well front to back as well as lining up along the bottom of the quarter panel.

Drop on the passenger side is a another story. The drop needs to go forward towards the front of the car about a 1/4" of an inch. After messing with it a while, the wheel well lip of the quarter and the matching lip on the drop seem to be the issue, they are touching tight and the rear of the drop is hanging over the pan by the 1/4". Guess I will either have to reform the lip on the drop to get rid of the 1/4", or cut it out and weld it back. PITA either way.

Well, not as smooth as I had hoped but at least not a disaster.

I ended up needing to have my wife stand in the trunk to actually lower the pan slightly to get it to line up (should have gotten a picture of that).

Drop on the driver side lined up pretty well front to back as well as lining up along the bottom of the quarter panel.

Drop on the passenger side is a another story. The drop needs to go forward towards the front of the car about a 1/4" of an inch. After messing with it a while, the wheel well lip of the quarter and the matching lip on the drop seem to be the issue, they are touching tight and the rear of the drop is hanging over the pan by the 1/4". Guess I will either have to reform the lip on the drop to get rid of the 1/4", or cut it out and weld it back. PITA either way.
Thankfully I decided to "drink it over" before getting out the cutting wheel.

The drop issue turned out to be where I had to rebuild the corner where the wheel well, drop and quarter panel lip all come together. I was able to get a drift in there and move the lip up towards the top of the wheel well which allowed the drop to move forward. Lines up much better now.

Eldubb if you see this, the fact that my trunk pan actually needs to come down instead of up has been bugging me. One idea as to why, this car had frame connectors installed before I bought it which in theory should stiffen it up in the middle and prevent the *** from sagging down as much. I can't come up with anything else I could have done to cause the trunk pan to ride high like that. It was sitting on the rear wheels when I removed the tail panel (drilled multiple alignment holes before drilling out the spot welds), and now its on jack stands on the frame rails at the rear of the floor pan.

Thankfully I decided to "drink it over" before getting out the cutting wheel.

The drop issue turned out to be where I had to rebuild the corner where the wheel well, drop and quarter panel lip all come together. I was able to get a drift in there and move the lip up towards the top of the wheel well which allowed the drop to move forward. Lines up much better now.

Eldubb if you see this, the fact that my trunk pan actually needs to come down instead of up has been bugging me. One idea as to why, this car had frame connectors installed before I bought it which in theory should stiffen it up in the middle and prevent the *** from sagging down as much. I can't come up with anything else I could have done to cause the trunk pan to ride high like that. It was sitting on the rear wheels when I removed the tail panel (drilled multiple alignment holes before drilling out the spot welds), and now its on jack stands on the frame rails at the rear of the floor pan.

you mean the rails and trunk pan need to come down to meet the bottom of the tail light panel?

I have anchors in my floor to hold it down while jacking the front of the rails.....but I'm thinking you could try putting some weight on the pan.....how far down do you need to go?

you mean the rails and trunk pan need to come down to meet the bottom of the tail light panel?

I have anchors in my floor to hold it down while jacking the front of the rails.....but I'm thinking you could try putting some weight on the pan.....how far down do you need to go?
That's right, to get the bottom of the tail light panel to align with the rear lip of the trunk pan, the trunk pan needs to come down about 3/8" ideally. I can man handle the panel in to place and get clamps on it but feels like I'm distorting the panel doing that. If I can get the pan to go down and tack it all in place all the way across hen that should put a more even stress on the tail panel.

I like the anchor idea, I was going to try and push against the ceiling. I put about 150 lbs of weight (three bags of abrasive) on the trunk pan and it helped but really need something I can control how much it moves I think.

That's right, to get the bottom of the tail light panel to align with the rear lip of the trunk pan, the trunk pan needs to come down about 3/8" ideally. I can man handle the panel in to place and get clamps on it but feels like I'm distorting the panel doing that. If I can get the pan to go down and tack it all in place all the way across hen that should put a more even stress on the tail panel.

I like the anchor idea, I was going to try and push against the ceiling. I put about 150 lbs of weight (three bags of abrasive) on the trunk pan and it helped but really need something I can control how much it moves I think.

pan is not yet connected to the wheelhouses, correct?

how much does the 3/8 affect the fitment of the trunk extensions (drops)?

sounds like even if you get it do lower by 1/4 you should be good

you could jack the tail panel lip an 1/8 maybe 3/16, it all adds up

that seam meeting perfectly isn't super critical

a few 5 gallon buckets of dirt may get you there

pan is not yet connected to the wheelhouses, correct?

how much does the 3/8 affect the fitment of the trunk extensions (drops)?

sounds like even if you get it do lower by 1/4 you should be good

you could jack the tail panel lip an 1/8 maybe 3/16, it all adds up

that seam meeting perfectly isn't super critical

a few 5 gallon buckets of dirt may get you there

Thanks for all the help, you are right the pan isn't connected the wheelhouses yet.

I decided to go ahead and put anchors in the floor I figure they will come in handy down the road.

PXL_20221030_195504948.jpg

Being able to pull the pan down did the trick, along with pushing up just a a smidge on the bottom lip on the passenger side.

The quarters actually are lining up reasonably well. Here's the driver side back and bottom.

PXL_20221030_195700509~2.jpg
PXL_20221030_195620365.jpg

Passenger side

PXL_20221030_195818212.jpg
PXL_20221030_195756618.jpg

I need to pull the drops back out, drill holes for plug welds to the quarters and then can start to button the drops up. Still working on getting the dings out of the new tail panel but wanted to use the old one for getting all the alignment done.

Appreciate all the help!

Thanks for all the help, you are right the pan isn't connected the wheelhouses yet.

I decided to go ahead and put anchors in the floor I figure they will come in handy down the road.

View attachment 1366120

Being able to pull the pan down did the trick, along with pushing up just a a smidge on the bottom lip on the passenger side.

The quarters actually are lining up reasonably well. Here's the driver side back and bottom.

View attachment 1366117 View attachment 1366116

Passenger side

View attachment 1366119 View attachment 1366118

I need to pull the drops back out, drill holes for plug welds to the quarters and then can start to button the drops up. Still working on getting the dings out of the new tail panel but wanted to use the old one for getting all the alignment done.

Appreciate all the help!

congrats.....you're there.........lotta work, ain't it? just gotta stay persistent

I busted into the 67......love your photo with the stool lol

blue67.jpg

blue67b.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back