• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just bought a 383 for $150

Splangj

Local time
7:27 AM
Reaction score
This engine I believe was stored in a barn, at a now closed dump. It’s not seized, and looking into the oil fill hole, the rocker gear is quite clean. I’m hoping someone pulled it for a project and it’s OK. Does anyone know about the passenger side engine mount? Truck maybe? I’d love to stroke it. 440 source only shows a 3.75 or 4.25 crank for it. also, would TF 240 heads work, or the valves too large?

C3DB9CDC-9BD1-43D0-83BF-1159B69C9E69.jpeg

39E01D46-10FA-48CF-AB0A-C289E361C88C.jpeg

A4AD68CD-050E-49F9-851C-48B6C311891B.jpeg

2E37B575-EFC6-417A-B2EB-E278211296DB.jpeg

6787EBE9-ACF5-4870-BC08-7A1FA3443E71.jpeg

1966. Can you get a casting number off that exhaust manifold?
3.75 crank would make a 426.

I’ll go check. I’m not going to get greasy right now and get the block numbers, just opened a beer. Sounds like it’s the same bore as a 426 hemi?

A 66 383 with a 2 barrel is likely a 9.2 : 1 out of a c body. We had one in a Newport it was terrific

I was wondering about that because the 2 barrel B bodies in 66 got the 361.

It might be out of a truck but I thought they used a lot of 361s in trucks

It could have been a b or c body engine with that passenger exhaust casting #.... maybe an intake casting number or the drivers side exhaust casting number?? Of course anything could have been changed in the last 50 years

But that super tall engine mount. I’ve never seen a car with one of those?

But I thought the trucks had center exit exhaust manifolds

I’m hoping it’s an original install. Maybe never opened up. That being said, theRE is no special 383 block, like the 400? After watching the SD Concepts Challenger, I have visions of horsepower.

That idler near the ps location is interesting. AC type idler too for fan belt

That looks like a 4x4 truck motor mount bracket, or maybe an RV. But a truck would have a rear sump oil pan, and an RV would have either a front or a rear sump oil pan. That looks like a center sump oil pan for a car. And it looks like it has a notch for idler arm clearance, so it'd be from a C body. But I don't recall ever seeing an idler where the power steering goes.

Last edited:
I’m hoping it’s an original install. Maybe never opened up. That being said, theRE is no special 383 block, like the 400? After watching the SD Concepts Challenger, I have visions of horsepower.
You were talking tf heads and a stroker crank in post number 1...... makes no difference what it came out of if your gonna use those parts..... you will only need a good block and nothing else from that motor....

Who cares what it is out of? It's definitely a 383, and what's mounted on it makes no difference.
No difference in blocks.

It has newer valvecovers on it. Maybe they swapped short blocks at one time.

Auto Transport Service
Back