• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just bought a 71 Charger... going to a 5.7 I think

I don't think I will have a huge amount but some notable ones;

73-74 Rallye hood
71 dated cast crank 383
71 dated 4bbl intake and holley carb
exhaust manifolds (I think they are later dated)
full exhaust system (manifolds back)

Might be some more in there but we will see

So here is my latest "plan" (since planning is free). I think I am going to buy a 6.4 long block and then cherry pick pieces to go on it. The difference in long block price between the 5.7 and 6.4 is about $1K +/- depending on where you get it, but I have this feeling that if I don't do this I will always kind of kick myself for not doing it. That said and full disclosure this could all change by tomorrow.. LOL regardless, a G3 is going in there.

So here is my latest "plan" (since planning is free). I think I am going to buy a 6.4 long block and then cherry pick pieces to go on it. The difference in long block price between the 5.7 and 6.4 is about $1K +/- depending on where you get it, but I have this feeling that if I don't do this I will always kind of kick myself for not doing it. That said and full disclosure this could all change by tomorrow.. LOL regardless, a G3 is going in there.
Sound reasoning right there!

Nice car, I wouldn’t cut up an original bulge hood to make an ag out of it, IMO . I also am old school and would have a tough time of going gen 3 in something where I could easily stuff a big block in.. I love the rumble of a big block.. New engine that is plug and play seems to be the thing nowadays, they are powerful I own some myself but love the big block more. Best of luck it’s yours so enjoy you can always undo it!

20200718_132716.jpg
Sound reasoning right there!
I bought a 2014 5.7 from a wrecked Charger Police car. It had 33k miles on it when pulled. The guy I bought it from,installed a 6.1 cam,and MDS elmination buttons. I am leaning towards putting it in my 73 Charger.

View attachment 995070
I bought a 2014 5.7 from a wrecked Charger Police car. It had 33k miles on it when pulled. The guy I bought it from,installed a 6.1 cam,and MDS elmination buttons. I am leaning towards putting it in my 73 Charger.
Would be cool if you have the funds.

Nice car, I wouldn’t cut up an original bulge hood to make an ag out of it, IMO . I also am old school and would have a tough time of going gen 3 in something where I could easily stuff a big block in.. I love the rumble of a big block.. New engine that is plug and play seems to be the thing nowadays, they are powerful I own some myself but love the big block more. Best of luck it’s yours so enjoy you can always undo it!

I have no problem whatsoever putting a G3 in this car. I already have a 440-6 (EFI) in my Challenger and a stroked 340 (416) EFI 6 pack in my Cuda not to mention the 426 Hemi that is going into my 70 RR. So I have lots of "old school" but to be honest, I don't drive them pretty much at all, I thinking that a G3 in this car will get me out driving it plus I really wanted to do a restomod G3 car and this is the perfect candidate for it. I was going to do my 68 Cuda but I think now I am going to sell it off and keep the 2 Es and 2 Bs.

I agree on the hood which is why I ordered a new AMD AG hood for the car, I am sure someone out there with a 73-74 will need this hood.

Does anyone know for sure what it take to put a A833 behind a G3? Ive looked online and found a few threads on here and elsewhere but no one really says what they did or what is involved with it. Some talk about cutting the input shaft but no one says whether you need to or not, lots of people say they have it but no details.

I wasn't really paying attention to the income bracket you're playing in based on your collection - I would totally do the 6.4 with the car budget you are playing with. I'm focused on 5.7's because I like to turbocharge and 5.7 is plenty that way. I'd still buy a drop out from a car rather than the crate engines though, it must be 1/2 price once you count all the odds and ends.

I wasn't really paying attention to the income bracket you're playing in based on your collection - I would totally do the 6.4 with the car budget you are playing with. I'm focused on 5.7's because I like to turbocharge and 5.7 is plenty that way. I'd still buy a drop out from a car rather than the crate engines though, it must be 1/2 price once you count all the odds and ends.

Well despite my collection, to be honest my budget for this car isn't all that large. I am semi retired but everything I have is paid off so what contract work I do does go towards the cars.

I have nothing against a 5.7 and to be honest I kind of go back and forth on them and the 6.4 but since I have a 5.7 in my 2010 Challenger, in my mind I need a 6.4... LOL

On price alone I agree with your comments on the take out engine but heres my problem there, most of them come with a 90 day warranty and I will not have this car anywhere near running in 90 days so if I go to start it a year from now and there is an issue I am SOL. Plus, while I am sure they are good motors, you have no way to know how they were treated or effected by whatever totaled the car. So for these reasons I am looking at a brand new long block.

Well despite my collection, to be honest my budget for this car isn't all that large. I am semi retired but everything I have is paid off so what contract work I do does go towards the cars.

I have nothing against a 5.7 and to be honest I kind of go back and forth on them and the 6.4 but since I have a 5.7 in my 2010 Challenger, in my mind I need a 6.4... LOL

On price alone I agree with your comments on the take out engine but heres my problem there, most of them come with a 90 day warranty and I will not have this car anywhere near running in 90 days so if I go to start it a year from now and there is an issue I am SOL. Plus, while I am sure they are good motors, you have no way to know how they were treated or effected by whatever totaled the car. So for these reasons I am looking at a brand new long block.

I paid $2400 for the 2014 5.7 with 5 speed auto trans,and harness,the cop car was rearended so the engine was not affected.

Well I still haven't gotten to work on the car but my buddy in AUS had me jumping, I went out and bought 2 1970 B bodies (1 Roadrunner and 1 Satellite).. Been busy..

IMG_2161.JPG
IMG_2169.JPG

There's a 6.1 Hemi in the mechanical parts section for 2 grand,don't snooze on this one!

I am not sure if that is a scam but it sure feels that way, that ad was his very first post and he hasn't answered any of the questions asked. Someone said it was over at FABO and got pulled. I think I will stick with my new 6.4 long block.

Usually if something looks too good to be true it usually is. If it turns out to be legit,its a smoking deal. My friend paid $3500 just for a 6. 1 engine nothing else.

I agree it is a smoking deal but being in IL plus no information completely kills it for me.

IMG_2300.JPG
Well, yesterday was my Birthday and I got my new hood delivered, win-win... I have been searching for an engine and done a lot of researching, I think I am pretty focused on a 6.4 long block.

Auto Transport Service
Back